I dumped all my zincs

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I dumped all my zincs

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:31 am

About $2000 worth. It took me 2 weeks to dump it all. Many of the coin counter machines around me were in repair or having problems.

Will buy silver with it once Ag gets back to the low teens.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: I dumped all my zincs

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:45 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:About $2000 worth. It took me 2 weeks to dump it all. Many of the coin counter machines around me were in repair or having problems.

Quoted for “I sure hope you’re right about the price.” But riddle me this: Given higher costs of everything (except precious metals, apparently) can miners keep mining at a low teens price point?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:50 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:About $2000 worth. It took me 2 weeks to dump it all. Many of the coin counter machines around me were in repair or having problems.

Quoted for “I sure hope you’re right about the price.” But riddle me this: [u]Given higher costs of everything (except precious metals, apparently) can miners keep mining at a low teens price point?[/u]

Price manipulators and algos do not care about mining/production costs.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:04 am

I believe that is the smart move. A low priced Ag will have a better upside than Zn, plus is more compact and transportable.

As far as how miners can tolerate a low price, I don't believe the pure silver miners (a subset of the Ag industry) can tolerate that for long, but I don't believe it will stay low very long. But you don't need it to stay low for long - just long enough to buy.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:13 am

68Camaro wrote:I believe that is the smart move. A low priced Ag will have a better upside than Zn, plus is more compact and transportable.

As far as how miners can tolerate a low price, I don't believe the pure silver miners (a subset of the Ag industry) can tolerate that for long, but I don't believe it will stay low very long. But you don't need it to stay low for long - just long enough to buy.

Bingo. Hoping to catch the next washout like I did in 2020. Strange as it may seem with all the negative things going on, the stock market hasn't had any real panic selling yet. When the panic selling happens (like it did in Feb/March 2020), that's when the Ag price will fall hard and that will be the next huge buying opp.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:25 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: When the panic selling happens (like it did in Feb/March 2020), that's when the Ag price will fall hard and that will be the next huge buying opp.

I hope you are right. I would love to see $14 silver!! But as the price of silver falls the premium goes up. I understand the businesses that sell silver need to make a profit too, but I think $5.00 or more "premium" is too much.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:41 pm

Agree with selling zinc or even moving it at face value. You are losing out to inflation and it takes a LOT of room to store it.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John Reich » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:59 am

I also agree with your decision. I dumped all my US nickels a few years ago and bought silver with the proceeds. Worked out well for me.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Silver popped back up to $20 or so today... Might be a while before it gets back down into those low teens. And as ND Farmer points out, the premiums for physical ag went bonkers the last time silver crashed. I'd anticipate a repeat.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing