Radical lack of copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Radical lack of copper

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:52 pm

I was out in Delaware for the week of the 4th, so I called ahead of time and ordered $200 in pennies from a local branch. Figured I'd see how the copper percentages are out in that part of the country. Well, it was the worst I've ever seen by a wide margin.

Each box was roughly 1% copper. No kidding, roughly 1 copper per 2 rolls. I did weirdly get two 1930's enders, but those were the massive exceptions to the rule.

Then, I get back to the DC area, and I pick up $100 from one of my regular banks... I get two boxes of uncirculated (that's par for the course), plus 2 boxes of circulated... And the circulated penny boxes were almost dry of copper, just like the Delaware boxes! Totally horrible, basically a waste of time.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here? I'm worried that the federal reserve has started filtering copper pennies out of circulation or something!
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Radical lack of copper

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:16 pm

I stopped searching penny bank boxes in 2020. Was only finding 5% Cu on average, def not worth my time and effort. Billions more zincs minted every year are diluting the hell out of coppers, but I also believe many people are removing Cu pennies from circulation... not sure if the Fed/treasury is doing it, but it would not surprise me.

In 2021 my LCS guy sold me his Cu penny hoard (about 300lbs worth) at 50% over face value. Pulled a decent amount of wheaties from this hoard too.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:32 pm

Hello DC penny guy. You really did have bad luck, but don't give up yet. Try a different bank. Try every bank within 10-15 miles of your house. I am still averaging 15-20 percent copper. I am currently working on a batch of Loomis rolls, will post results later this month.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:16 pm

So, due to some real-life issues I've been dealing with, I haven't been able to spend any time sorting pennies since my last post (July 10th). However, my banks have continued ordering boxes of pennies for me, and I've continued picking them up, keeping the circulated ones, depositing the uncirculated ones at other banks, etc.

I think I've got about 40 boxes saved up. Looking forward to my first ever $1,000 penny hunt! Hoping to find pre-40's wheaties WITH MINT MARKS. We've got most of the Philly pennies at this point.

One box I opened up, and I saw three wheat penny enders! So, definitely looks promising in terms of copper.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:31 am

Geez my banks just kinda laugh when I ask for boxes...I get 3 rolls...I used to pickup 12 boxes at a time....we are still under the coin shortage here in Houston :(
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:24 pm

fasteddy wrote:Geez my banks just kinda laugh when I ask for boxes...I get 3 rolls...I used to pickup 12 boxes at a time....we are still under the coin shortage here in Houston :(

Local banks here in my Portland area of Maine are still rationing coins. At least TD Bank has been stingy the most so far. Another thing I don't like is that they often require you to swipe your debit card into their reader at the counter. They are creating a record of me buying coins if I am not mistaken.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:23 pm

fasteddy wrote:Geez my banks just kinda laugh when I ask for boxes...I get 3 rolls...I used to pickup 12 boxes at a time....we are still under the coin shortage here in Houston :(

As mentioned previously, the coin shortage thing is simply a scam. There are TONS of coins out there including lots of 2022 coins. But as for copper, that's different because there is a lack of it (shortage!) because of sorters like me (and others).
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:53 pm

No shortage in the Mid-Atlantic. One bank called me yesterday, said someone came in after a relative had died. They found a few big containers of coins, rolled them up, and deposited them at the bank. By the time I got there, they only had the pennies left. But that was fine by me. Got $80 in customer-wrapped rolls. They're obviously not old pennies, there's plenty of 2021 and 2022 in there. But a decent percentage of copper and wheaties.

Anyways, my point is that the banks have no problems providing me with loads of coins around here. I guess our regional federal reserve branch doesn't have the problems that some others do.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:58 am

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:No shortage in the Mid-Atlantic. One bank called me yesterday, said someone came in after a relative had died. They found a few big containers of coins, rolled them up, and deposited them at the bank. By the time I got there, they only had the pennies left. But that was fine by me. Got $80 in customer-wrapped rolls. They're obviously not old pennies, there's plenty of 2021 and 2022 in there. But a decent percentage of copper and wheaties.

Anyways, my point is that the banks have no problems providing me with loads of coins around here. I guess our regional federal reserve branch doesn't have the problems that some others do.

Nice to have a special relationship with your bank like that, but in my experience Cu's are slowly disappearing. I believe the Cu's are being pulled/hoarded by more and more people. It's not just dilution due to the billions of new pennies being minted. The government/Treasury/Fed is most likely involved too. I don't live that far from you, I'm getting 5-10% coppers in my change... getting less and less of them over time.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:04 pm

I really doubt there's enough people sorting pennies for copper to make much of a dent. I've yet to meet another person in real life who has even heard of the idea of this particular hobby.

It's been 40 years since the last copper pennies were minted, I think it's a combination of the normal factors (attrition, plus gradual dilution with zinc), plus the fact that there is almost certainly a record amount of coins currently held outside circulation inside people's homes. So many people have stopped using cash, stopped visiting physical bank branches, stopped carrying coins... And they haven't had enough reason to put their jug o' coins into rolls and deposit them.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 pm

I disagree because I have dented my own area and proud of it! More seriously: people on here have been posting results for roughly 11 years. If you read older threads/posts, you will see that percentages have dropped significantly because of sorters. Keep in mind that there are more sorters than what you see here on this site.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Excluding wheat cents, there were over 158 BILLION copper pennies minted, 1959-1982. That's $1.58 billion in face value.

In order to make a serious dent in the supply, sorters would need to have pulled hundreds of millions of dollars in FACE VALUE out of circulation. Just 20% of the coppers minted equals $316 million. I really, really doubt that all the copper sorters combined have accounted for that much face value of copper taken out of circulation.

Of course, there's no way to actually know.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:27 pm

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:Excluding wheat cents, there were over 158 BILLION copper pennies minted, 1959-1982. That's $1.58 billion in face value.

In order to make a serious dent in the supply, sorters would need to have pulled hundreds of millions of dollars in FACE VALUE out of circulation. Just 20% of the coppers minted equals $316 million. I really, really doubt that all the copper sorters combined have accounted for that much face value of copper taken out of circulation.

Of course, there's no way to actually know.
First of all, thank you for posting the copper numbers (I never took the time to look/add them up). Maybe I exaggerated when I said dent or maybe the dent isn't as big as I thought. But the truth is that the numbers are DOWN. We have one member who no longer sorts them because his percentage is only 5 to 10 percent. He must have dented his local area because his copper results are only half of the national average. If the copper sorters have enough time, they WILL dent the population significantly. It's a fun, easy way to make spare cash. It's also a relatively safe investment. It's not like a stock that could severely crash. I know of one stock that went from 40+ dollars to under THREE dollars in less than two years.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wagsthadog » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:08 pm

Hi there!

Im at about $5 in copper per box in the midwest. Still finding about 10 wheats per box. Ill be moving in April so I just plan to keep sorting at my new area as best I can until they abolish the penny, which Im confident will happen well before 2030. I guess it depends on how much of a hassle it is to get coins from banks (which is becoming more of a challenge by me) but I think Ill keep sorting pennies until it routinely gets to below $2 in coppers per box. Then Ill gloat over my copper hoard LOL.

Wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:21 pm

wagsthadog wrote:Hi there!

Im at about $5 in copper per box in the midwest. Still finding about 10 wheats per box.
Wags

You're still getting 20% Cu per box?... wheats too? That is pretty damn good.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:12 pm

I'm getting 16-18 percent copper. I have a Loomis box to sort and will post results next week. It's a good idea to stash rolls away if you don't have time to sort. For example, stop at your local bank or credit union and buy 10-20 rolls a week. Eventually the govt will get rid of them, but if you stash NOW, you will have some available to sort down the road. I bought rolls a year ago that still have not been opened. I estimate them to be 20 percent copper.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing