$25 Penny Boxes: Surprising Slippage

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

$25 Penny Boxes: Surprising Slippage

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:06 am

I just went through a $25 penny box received from my local bank.

I decided to put the ones I wanted to return back into the same box and keep a count of how many would fit. I was surprised to find that I could only get 1,827 of the original 2,500 pennies back in the box. In other words, the slippage (for lack of a better word) was an astonishing 27%.

I thought I’d be able to get 2,200-2,300 pennies back into the box. I was WAY OFF!

Just to clarify, the pennies taken out of the box were all rolled. The pennies put back in were all loose.

Has anyone tried calculating this before? If so, what have you found?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: $25 Penny Boxes: Surprising Slippage

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:50 am

Not surprised. You are comparing the most efficient use of space with random wasted space.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby cwgii » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:27 am

Hmm.I put 2250 if I don't wish to,,bulge,,the box. A full 2500 if size is not an issue.

Compaction is the key. A ,,layer,, then shake, etc.
cwgii

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:44 am

When I sorted and sold copper pennies, I put the loose pennies back in those boxes at 2000 comfortably. The exact $20.00 kept it easy for me to sell.
I was surprised though, that one could not get 2500 loose pennies back in those boxes. I guess it goes to the saying that nature hates randomness over order.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver4face » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:52 pm

On previous deliveries/sales, I have used a penny box a couple times. I had no problems getting 2000 in the box (no bulge, no overflow). But I never tried to go above that.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:18 pm

Noticed this many years ago when I first started hoarding Cu. Now all my pennies are stored in 5 gallon buckets.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:22 pm

How many pennies does a five gallon bucket hold? Should be more than ten thousand.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:41 am

Silver4face wrote:How many pennies does a five gallon bucket hold? Should be more than ten thousand.

It’s gonna be way way more than 10,000. I’d think more along the lines of perhaps even 20,000.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 am

Too much to lift.lolol
cwgii

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:41 am

5 gallons is 18927 cc. Density of copper is 8.92 g/cc. Copper cents are 5 percent zinc, but let's ignore that for a first estimate. Multiply the two and you get 168829 grams. Let's say you lose a third in "slippage". That's still 249 lbs. Good luck with that ! Lol
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:09 pm

Silver4face wrote:How many pennies does a five gallon bucket hold? Should be more than ten thousand.

Don't know how many pennies, but a 5 gallon bucket of Cu pennies filled close to the top = 175-180 lbs. Practically impossible to lift, the handle will bend and break.

I never move them. You cannot stack them with lids on the bottom pail because they lids eventually break under all that weight. The blue Lowe's 5 gal pails are crap.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:15 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:

It’s gonna be way way more than 10,000. I’d think more along the lines of perhaps even 20,000.

180 lbs of Cu pennies = approximately 26,000 pennies.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:35 am

I’ve used coffee cans for years and they’re great for penny storage. Just be sure to clean them and let them dry fully before putting pennies in.

Recyclersteve

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Some of you won't believe this but the best way to store bulk coins is in .... coin bags :shock: :P
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:40 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Some of you won't believe this but the best way to store bulk coins is in .... coin bags :shock: :P

I am assuming you are referring to the ,coin counter bags, Not deposit bags.
cwgii

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:08 pm

cwgii wrote:
AGgressive Metal wrote:Some of you won't believe this but the best way to store bulk coins is in .... coin bags :shock: :P

I am assuming you are referring to the ,coin counter bags, Not deposit bags.

In my experience the banks use the same bags to count as they do to deposit, the Fed only accepts clear plastic now, but canvas works just as good for coppers! The point is you want something durable that can be stacked, carried, and poured.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing