The Portland Mint

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The Portland Mint

Postby AuStruck » Thu May 11, 2023 3:43 pm

The Portland Mint apparently is "not in service at this time". That means I'm behind the times. 5/11/2023
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Re: The Portland Mint

Postby cwgii » Thu May 11, 2023 11:26 pm

Oh no. I was going to send coin to him, next week. Bummer
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 12, 2023 2:02 am

I wonder about all the pennies they had in storage for paying customers.

I just ran into Adam Youngs with a co-worker at a coin show several months ago. Sure hope he’s ok!

Dig back into the older postings on this site. He dealt with some HUGE QUANTITIES of pennies over the years. There was an old video of his warehouse that made my jaw drop.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby natsb88 » Fri May 12, 2023 12:47 pm

Where is it stated that the Portland Mint is "not in service?"
natsb88

Postby galenrog » Fri May 12, 2023 5:56 pm

Just looked. Portlandmint.com gives me a 404. Why is it down? I have no idea.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 12, 2023 11:14 pm

What do you make of this:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/feder ... 0518/40817

Edit: I clicked on the link. Adam is mentioned in the document, so not a mis-identity.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 13, 2023 1:00 am

JerrySpringer wrote:What do you make of this:

Edit: I clicked on the link. Adam is mentioned in the document, so not a mis-identity.

FYI- This was almost a year ago.

I checked back on my notes and I saw Adam in person a little over 2 months ago.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat May 13, 2023 5:01 am

JerrySpringer wrote:What do you make of this:

Tucker Act is most often used when you get audited and disagree with the IRS. Forget that government propoganda you learned in elementary school, in this country, you are presumed guilty so you have to pay your taxes and sue for a refund in federal court under the Tucker Act.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sat May 13, 2023 10:54 am

cwgii wrote:Oh no. I was going to send coin to him, next week. Bummer

I just sent foreign coin to them less than two weeks ago. Got a check promptly, and cashed it this past Thursday :thumbup: .
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 13, 2023 12:42 pm

I would guess that Adam's DNS is having an issue. I'll send him a text, though he's probably aware.

The lawsuit is unrelated and a long-standing conflict over an issue where (taking Adam's side, which seems reasonable) the government defaulted on a claim and refused to pay up. I'll leave it to Adam to describe the details (or not).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing