Who is Fritz Reyes?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Who is Fritz Reyes?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:18 am

In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Who is Fritz Reyes?

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:14 am

Cool story. I’m tempted to contact the family and make an offer on the pennies but my wife would kill me if she found out.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:16 am

I read that story......my first thought was, "I wonder if Adam Youngs had contacted them?".
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:50 am

Be fun to sort through them. Wonder how many Wheats and Indians would be in those bags?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:04 pm

Is it just me, or do those bank bags look like they're full of rolls? Would be wild if these are truly unsearched (at least by Fritz & bro.) bags.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:51 am

Could have been a member here. I think the guys at the Portland Mint should contact them as well.
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:57 am

Some of the bank bags shown those banks are no longer.
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:50 pm

hobo finds wrote:Could have been a member here. I think the guys at the Portland Mint should contact them as well.

Sadly, I think Portland Mint (Adam Youngs) may be out of business. PortlandMint.com appears to be up for sale.

I wonder if Joe Henry (also from OR- Medford, I believe) would be interested…

Another thought. This seems like LESS THAN A MILLION pennies to me. Why? Look at the bank boxes on the front right. If full, they should have $1,075 in face value. I’d guesstimate a total of 600-700k ($6-7k face value) is in the photo.

The comment made by the owner that you frequently hear stories about finding $2 million coins is ridiculous. As a result, his valuation is in the clouds IMHO.

With all the big money in places like Beverly Hills, it would be TRULY SAD if they couldn’t find someone to take the coins. This is yet another reason why the penny needs to be discontinued- so these can be melted down and used for something. They take up a LOT of space and aren’t really worth THAT much. If they had this much in 90% silver, it would be VERY INTERESTING to see how many people would make offers, even just in SoCal.

My quick “back of the envelope” calculations tell me that 1 million pennies would take up roughly the same amount of space as 1.5 million dimes. With spot at roughly $24.25, I know of someone who is paying spot plus $3 x .715 x face. This amounts to close to $3 million. In other words, the same amount of space could hold either $25k in pennies or $3 million in 90% silver dimes. And many would argue halves would be worth even more.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:10 pm

$10,000 face $25k melt. And no way would I give coin star 8% 0f the face.
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 pm

Also how many, wheats, Indian heads and such could be in there..
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 pm

Also how many, wheats, Indian heads and such could be in there..
hobo finds

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:38 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
hobo finds wrote:Could have been a member here. I think the guys at the Portland Mint should contact them as well.

Sadly, I think Portland Mint (Adam Youngs) may be out of business. PortlandMint.com appears to be up for sale.

I wonder if Joe Henry (also from OR- Medford, I believe) would be interested…

Another thought. This seems like LESS THAN A MILLION pennies to me. Why? Look at the bank boxes on the front right. If full, they should have $1,075 in face value. I’d guesstimate a total of 600-700k ($6-7k face value) is in the photo.

The comment made by the owner that you frequently hear stories about finding $2 million coins is ridiculous. As a result, his valuation is in the clouds IMHO.

With all the big money in places like Beverly Hills, it would be TRULY SAD if they couldn’t find someone to take the coins. This is yet another reason why the penny needs to be discontinued- so these can be melted down and used for something. They take up a LOT of space and aren’t really worth THAT much. If they had this much in 90% silver, it would be VERY INTERESTING to see how many people would make offers, even just in SoCal.

My quick “back of the envelope” calculations tell me that 1 million pennies would take up roughly the same amount of space as 1.5 million dimes. With spot at roughly $24.25, I know of someone who is paying spot plus $3 x .715 x face. This amounts to close to $3 million. In other words, the same amount of space could hold either $25k in pennies or $3 million in 90% silver dimes. Any many would argue halves would be worth even more.

I am still in business we are just moving to wholesale with 60k face minimum purchases.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:38 pm

I contacted the relator and he claims to have multiple offers for OVER his $25k asking price. Seems like hype to me.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:49 pm

There is an article on insider.com which now says the total amount is 800,000 pennies, not the million previously reported. Look back in the comments and you will see where I expressed skepticism about the figure of 1,000,000.

Adam, it is GREAT to see you post again on this site!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:03 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I contacted the relator and he claims to have multiple offers for OVER his $25k asking price. Seems like hype to me.

I thought they would have sold them by now and to a buyer that negotiated a deal somewhat under the asking price. Boy was I mistaken trying to second guess a guy who makes a living selling Soutbern California real estate. Hype is the name of the game in this area.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:10 am

highroller4321 wrote:I contacted the relator and he claims to have multiple offers for OVER his $25k asking price. Seems like hype to me.

He's back!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:00 pm

[quote="Recyclersteve"]There is an article on insider.com which now says the total amount is 800,000 pennies, not the million previously reported. Look back in the comments and you will see where I expressed skepticism about the figure of 1,000,000.

Adam, it is GREAT to see you post again on this site![/quote

I also saw the article stating that the total was 800,000. Still a huge amount
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:18 pm

I guess they found a buyer. No details on the final selling price.

https://abc7.com/1-million-pennies-sold-discovered-los-angeles-home-family-discovery/13415139/
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing