Clyde Lewis GroundZero show

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Clyde Lewis GroundZero show

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:51 pm

Caller called into Clyde Lewis's GZ show and mentioned he has half a million ( $5000) copper pennies. Clyde was underwhelmed about the value of having them. The background on this is that the topic of the show was about CBDC. I believe the caller thought that having real copper metals coins would be a bartering means.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Clyde Lewis GroundZero show

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:44 pm

Let’s see- a full size 34.5 oz. coffee can will hold about 3,000 pennies. 167 of them would take a LOT OF SPACE for only $10-12k worth of pennies. $10-12k isn’t gonna pay the bills for long.

I do have some pennies in coffee cans and keep some on hand as decoys in case of armed robbery. But 167 of them? No freaking way! Now silver (or perhaps even nickel) is a different story.

If I was a teenager living at home with my parents, having a bunch of coffee cans in my closet with my clothes would make me feel like I was off to a good start on my financial future. But I’m almost certainly in the last 1/3 of my life. So I don’t get as excited about $500-$1,000 anymore. Then again, $500-$1,000 isn’t worth nearly what it was when I was young.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:09 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Caller called into Clyde Lewis's GZ show and mentioned he has half a million ( $5000) copper pennies. Clyde was underwhelmed about the value of having them. The background on this is that the topic of the show was about CBDC. I believe the caller thought that having real copper metals coins would be a bartering means.

When SHTF Cu pennies will be a piss-poor bartering item.

Store cans of beans and ammo instead.

Caffeine pills are good too and have a very long shelf life. Most never think about this. Must stay awake and alert during guard duty.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:23 am

Put that idea (caffeine pills) in the what have I done to prep today section (if it isn't already there). I don't recall seeing it, but it merits a post.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:25 am

I think that copper wiring and piping would be (potentially anyway) easier to barter than pennies. Why? Because you can legally melt them down. Also, you can store them outside and not worry about them getting rained on.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:59 pm

68Camaro wrote:Put that idea (caffeine pills) in the what have I done to prep today section (if it isn't already there). I don't recall seeing it, but it merits a post.

Done.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:41 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I think that copper wiring and piping would be (potentially anyway) easier to barter than pennies. Why? Because you can legally melt them down. Also, you can store them outside and not worry about them getting rained on.

If the SHTF, the New Jersey definition of legal applies.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Catfish4u » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:35 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I think that copper wiring and piping would be (potentially anyway) easier to barter than pennies. Why? Because you can legally melt them down. Also, you can store them outside and not worry about them getting rained on.

Copper wiring and piping would be MUCH more difficult to barter than pennies. It would be very easy to quickly determine the worth of those pennies! For example, 1 roll = 50 pennies times $.03 each would be $1.50. Copper wiring/piping you would need a scale, copper prices for each grade, a calculator and some knowledge of what grade of copper is present. jmho
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing