Which Container is Better- Steel or Plastic Coffee Cans?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Which Container is Better- Steel or Plastic Coffee Cans?

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:32 pm

I have a number of coffee cans that I use to store mostly 1959-1981 Lincoln cents.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about using steel vs. plastic cans to store the coins. A few comments are in order...

First, I looked at and emptied a steel can with 3,500 copper cents (weight of the coins was 24#). This was a can that has been sitting in the same place (indoors on the ground level of a building) for probably 5-10 years or perhaps even more. There was no sign of anything bad to either the coins or the steel container itself. There was no corrosion. There was none of that ugly green stuff that you sometimes see on pennies. The coins didn't look cloudy at all. They looked just like coins that I could have gotten from a bank today, which is exactly what I wanted!

I personally haven't used plastic cans for storage, so I can't comment on how they would handle the coins. The empty plastic coffee container in front of me right now has the little triangle recycling code with the number 2 and says (HDPE). One thing I do like about the plastic is that if I dropped it on my toes, it would likely do a lot less damage than a steel can with 24# of pennies in it.

I also have steel paint cans (that never had paint in them) which were used for .999 Canadian nickels. Those are harder to access, so I don't have an easy way to comment on them. That said, I'm not as concerned about .999 Canadian nickels looking ugly as I am about copper U.S. pennies.

What other pros and cons does everyone else see in using these containers for the above mentioned coins, or even for silver?

There may have been an old thread on this (and maybe even created by me) as I have thought about this a number of times over the years. I am very curious to hear what everyone thinks on this topic.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Which Container is Better- Steel or Plastic Coffee Cans?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:30 am

the plastic buckets that are easy to find are 5 gallon and very heavy when filled even a third of the way.

the smaller plastic buckets are less easy to come by.

I buy my coffee from costco in steel coffee cans so those are far easier to come by. Another advantage is the lid secures and removes easily, and perhaps more tightly. One disadvantage is no handle
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:39 am

I store my wrapped coin in coin boxes.loose pennies in plastic jars.like peanuts or bar mix come in.about thr size of a coffee can.
cwgii

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:52 pm

I would think that airflow is important to maintain in order to allow for moisture to come out when the coins are stored in a place that sees temperature swings. Back in the day, I always pierced holes and put a small bag of dissectant in my containers.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:35 pm

For me, it'd depend on planned storage duration. Plastic has a tendency (especially around these parts) to become brittle after a couple of years. I just had to throw away a couple of Home Depot buckets that were only about 8 years old, because I was able to break off a piece with my hand with very little force while moving them.

Food storage plastics often have a bit more plasticity, which can help with longevity, but few things would be as frustrating as having a big container (or multiples) of pennies break open and drop their contents everywhere.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:01 pm

For short term use including deliveries, it doesn't matter. I use both. For long term use, I have never given it thought. I would probably lean towards metal or glass. Over the years, I have used metal, plastic, glass and even cardboard for temporary/short term use. I also strongly prefer containers with lids.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:46 am

No, don't use glass. The weight of the pennies really magnifies the force so small vibrations can cause the glass to break. Just setting it on the counter it can happen.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:27 am

I had the bottom of a glass water cooler bottle break when the bottle was half full of change.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pmbug » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:06 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:...
Food storage plastics often have a bit more plasticity, which can help with longevity, ...

I don't know what type of plastic they use, but the bottles for Kirkland branded orange juice (at Costco) are really nicely sized for storing all sorts of things (nails/screws, coins, old batteries for the recycling center, etc.) and they seem to last forever.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:13 pm

HoardCopperbytheTon (r.i.p.) used to use kitty litter containers. I guess he bought it in bulk.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:I had the bottom of a glass water cooler bottle break when the bottle was half full of change.

Been there. Done that. 40 years ago.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:46 pm

With the exception of one coffee can and a couple of small plastic containers that I use for extras that I accumulate out of change, all else is in Federal Reserve grade plastic coin bags at $50 per bag.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Silver4face » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:17 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:No, don't use glass. The weight of the pennies really magnifies the force so small vibrations can cause the glass to break. Just setting it on the counter it can happen.

Over the years I have used a few small glass jars WITHOUT any problems. I used a big glass jar for awhile until it sold in 2022. Currently using a big glass jar for large foreign coin, but believe me, it will NEVER be placed on a counter. You are probably right about the vibration issue. Also, I do not use containers for good coins - those go into plastic coin tubes or 2 x2's
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:26 am

I use Lowe's 5 gal buckets, but they do tend to get brittle over a period of years, especially the lids. You cannot stack these one on top of another with anything over 100lbs in them, after about 2-3 months the lid breaks.

Don't know if they're still around, but there was a company called Plastican Inc. They made 'food grade' 1-5 gallon buckets. A bit more expensive, but much better than all others. The lids did not break either.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:48 am

For a couple of years, I was using all kinds of different plastic containers. Empty Tide detergent containers, empty dishwasher pod containers, empty protein powder jugs... I also have one big full Home Depot bucket, too heavy to move.

Then, I realized this was silly. I can just take an empty bank penny box, fill it up with copper pennies, duct tape it closed, and VOILA! A perfectly stackable copper & cardboard brick.

One day, it'll be a few minutes of work with a utility knife to open up all those boxes and get the pennies out, and that'll be annoying. But for the time being, it's nearly free (I just gotta buy duct tape once in a while), and it makes storage so much easier, because they stack nicely.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:15 am

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:For a couple of years, I was using all kinds of different plastic containers. Empty Tide detergent containers, empty dishwasher pod containers, empty protein powder jugs... I also have one big full Home Depot bucket, too heavy to move.

Then, I realized this was silly. I can just take an empty bank penny box, fill it up with copper pennies, duct tape it closed, and VOILA! A perfectly stackable copper & cardboard brick.

One day, it'll be a few minutes of work with a utility knife to open up all those boxes and get the pennies out, and that'll be annoying. But for the time being, it's nearly free (I just gotta buy duct tape once in a while), and it makes storage so much easier, because they stack nicely.

I finally settled on this method myself. The boxes are free, designed for cents (hello!), and circulate air through the inspection holes. I would NOT stack them on a cement floor.

The Home Depot/Lowes type buckets are great at first, but as others have pointed out they get brittle. Plus, you can't move them if more than half full. Cripes, the $25.00 boxes are heavy enough.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:42 am

I personally don’t like the boxes because I don’t want a container which advertises on the outside that it contains money. That’s why I like coffee cans, which could also hold things like nuts and bolts, etc.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Morsecode » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:23 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I personally don’t like the boxes because I don’t want a container which advertises on the outside that it contains money.

Good point. On the other hand, how many boxes of cents is your typical burglar going to be able to run off with? :lol:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:10 am

Morsecode wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:I personally don’t like the boxes because I don’t want a container which advertises on the outside that it contains money.

Good point. On the other hand, how many boxes of cents is your typical burglar going to be able to run off with? :lol:

Fair point. I just don’t want them to think of me as having a stash of coins. They can always grab a box of pennies and then ask where the “good stuff” is, while pointing a gun to your head.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:06 am

If you are worried about burglars, do not use see through containers unless you put them in a trunk. Even then, you can put clothing, blankets etc on top to cover up what you got. I am guessing that most burglars will be very quick in their search. The longer a burglar spends at a house(or apt) the greater the chance of getting caught, or possibly even shot! Garbage cans (preferably metal) are good to use.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Steel cans so you can recycle them later.
hobo finds

Postby Silver4face » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:34 pm

hobo finds wrote:Steel cans so you can recycle them later.

Do you mean recycle or do you mean scrap? There is a difference
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing