Is anyone still making money off of copper cents?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is anyone still making money off of copper cents?

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:07 pm

Long time since I have posted. Franklin, my son now 27 who used to go with me to pick up coins back in the hay day who has what was referred to at the time as autism has since found out to have an extremely rare genetic disorder that makes him the way that he is less less than 100 people in the world with his condition. Anyways, long story short, I was sent an unsolicited message through Facebook messenger from a reporter with they major newspaper talking about doing a new story on “ Penny hoarding”. When we were on Nightline years ago it was certainly a lot easier to do because shipping was so cheap back then compared to today. So my question is right now can anybody actually make money flipping coins today? Thanks in advance for any answers. PS Franklin says hello to everybody and I would say the members of this group are certainly the nicest people in the world when we were filling the holes in the coin books. Joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is anyone still making money off of copper cents?

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:33 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the update on Franklin. I always enjoyed the thread with his coin counter finds.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:47 am

I haven’t sold any pennies lately, but would be really surprised if anyone can make anything even approaching minimum wage after paying shipping and packaging costs. Then you could also have sales tax. Yikes!

Nice to hear from you again!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:39 am

Glad you and Franklin are doing well.

I'll look at Ebay on occasion, to see what rates are like, and debate whether a couple SFR boxes might make sense unloading, but nerrrrp. Maybe people have luck locally via Craigslist, or with large (rare) freight sales, but I don't see how anyone is making much with what used to be the go-to for unloading them. Between fees, and shipping, it'd almost be a wash... and that'd be if I were lucky enough to get someone to bite at melt.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:32 pm

Adam was still making money on cents last I heard, but he was dealing in large lot sizes, on the order of 20 tons IIRC.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:40 pm

To Joe and family, I think you get my personal award for being the nicest people on RC. At least no one surpasses you. Glad to hear things are good. Having a genetic reason for Franklin's situation maybe helps understand -- I hope you have gotten something useful from that knowledge.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:06 am

68Camaro wrote:To Joe and family, I think you get my personal award for being the nicest people on RC. At least no one surpasses you. Glad to hear things are good. Having a genetic reason for Franklin's situation maybe helps understand -- I hope you have gotten something useful from that knowledge.

Franklin’s genetic condition is called NR4A2 related syndrome. None of his copies of the NR4A2 gene is bad. There’s less than 20 recorded in medical literature with that condition. But that particular gene is thought to be part of the cause of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and multiple sclerosis. Researchers are interested in Franklin because of his difference. What I find ironic is that Adolf Hitler most likely had Parkinson’s and Adolf Hitler would’ve had my son exterminated. But what if my son ends up being part of the cure for Parkinson’s.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:06 am

henrysmedford wrote:
68Camaro wrote:To Joe and family, I think you get my personal award for being the nicest people on RC. At least no one surpasses you. Glad to hear things are good. Having a genetic reason for Franklin's situation maybe helps understand -- I hope you have gotten something useful from that knowledge.

Franklin’s genetic condition is called NR4A2 related syndrome. None of his copies of the NR4A2 gene is bad. There’s less than 20 recorded in medical literature with that condition. But that particular gene is thought to be part of the cause of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and multiple sclerosis. Researchers are interested in Franklin because of his difference. What I find ironic is that Adolf Hitler most likely had Parkinson’s and Adolf Hitler would’ve had my son exterminated. But what if my son ends up being part of the cure for Parkinson’s.

If your son was part of the cure, that would be ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:46 pm

henrysmedford wrote:

My FIL is in end stage Parkinsons, not a great way to go. If Franklin can help others in the future, I agree that would be amazing! I looked up that gene and there was a lot of info, but also a lot not known about it. Wow, incredibly complex stuff...
68Camaro

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:54 am

Glad to hear from you and Franklin ! You really form a great family and I hope 2024 will bring joy and happiness.

As you know, in Canada the hoarding of pennies as passed in 2012. Still, I find that people are now more interested in rolls than bulk. Meaning, solid-roll per year sells now much better than bulk unsorted lot.

Cheers,

Mario
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:21 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:Glad to hear from you and Franklin ! You really form a great family and I hope 2024 will bring joy and happiness.

As you know, in Canada the hoarding of pennies as passed in 2012. Still, I find that people are now more interested in rolls than bulk. Meaning, solid-roll per year sells now much better than bulk unsorted lot.

Cheers,

Mario

What years are selling? I am guessing the copper years
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Catfish4u » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:42 am

henrysmedford wrote:Long time since I have posted. Franklin, my son now 27 who used to go with me to pick up coins back in the hay day who has what was referred to at the time as autism has since found out to have an extremely rare genetic disorder that makes him the way that he is less less than 100 people in the world with his condition. Anyways, long story short, I was sent an unsolicited message through Facebook messenger from a reporter with they major newspaper talking about doing a new story on “ Penny hoarding”. When we were on Nightline years ago it was certainly a lot easier to do because shipping was so cheap back then compared to today. So my question is right now can anybody actually make money flipping coins today? Thanks in advance for any answers. PS Franklin says hello to everybody and I would say the members of this group are certainly the nicest people in the world when we were filling the holes in the coin books. Joe

Thank you for the update! I well remember you and Franklin's adventures! It was similar to my son and I's adventures and sorting. He is 30 years old and married now but fondly and greatly appreciates the times we spent sorting pennies.

I am very much in a holding pattern with my copper cents. I will not sell for anything less than a premium and am just fine if my 6,000,000 copper hoard is left to my son. I am also very much into buying if the opportunity is right!

Best wishes to you AND Franklin! Prayers that they find solutions to these medical conditions! I just wish our great country spent half as much on medical research as they do on death and destruction! This applies to both the Democrats AND Republicans!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:05 am

Catfish4u wrote: I just wish our great country spent half as much on medical research as they do on death and destruction!

It has always been my opinion that the medical and pharmaceutical industries DO NOT want cures to be found. Imagine all the hospitals that would be shut down and doctors that would be out of a job if there were cures for most diseases!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:02 am

Silver4face wrote:
mtalbot_ca wrote:Glad to hear from you and Franklin ! You really form a great family and I hope 2024 will bring joy and happiness.

Cheers,

Mario

What years are selling? I am guessing the copper years

Not necessarily. The years that sell best are the ones with varieties and/older. So, (short list)
-All mint sealed roll
-2006 because of various metal/magnetic/design distinct characteristics
-1985 because of varieties
-1967 Centennial
-1962-1966 varieties
- and all the older ones (1959 and older)

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:15 am

Catfish4u wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:Long time since I have posted. Franklin, my son now 27 who used to go with me to pick up coins back in the hay day who has what was referred to at the time as autism has since found out to have an extremely rare genetic disorder that makes him the way that he is less less than 100 people in the world with his condition. Anyways, long story short, I was sent an unsolicited message through Facebook messenger from a reporter with they major newspaper talking about doing a new story on “ Penny hoarding”. When we were on Nightline years ago it was certainly a lot easier to do because shipping was so cheap back then compared to today. So my question is right now can anybody actually make money flipping coins today? Thanks in advance for any answers. PS Franklin says hello to everybody and I would say the members of this group are certainly the nicest people in the world when we were filling the holes in the coin books. Joe

I will not sell for anything less than a premium and am just fine if my 6,000,000 copper hoard is left to my son. I am also very much into buying if the opportunity is right!

I’m trying to wrap my arms around the thought of 6 million copper cents! My coffee cans hold about 3,000 cents each. How much space does it take to store the equivalent of 2,000 coffee cans? Do you need specially reinforced shelving to support the weight?

Recyclersteve

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:40 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:

I will not sell for anything less than a premium and am just fine if my 6,000,000 copper hoard is left to my son. I am also very much into buying if the opportunity is right!

I’m trying to wrap my arms around the thought of 6 million copper cents! My coffee cans hold about 3,000 cents each. How much space does it take to store the equivalent of 2,000 coffee cans? Do you need specially reinforced shelving to support the weight?

About 3/4 are stored in a semi trailer. The other 1/4 are stored in my basement. Some are on the floor and some are stored on commercial racks that claim they can hold up to 6,000 pounds although I never put near that much on those racks! I do not remember exactly but I think the total weight of those copper pennies was around 35,000 pounds.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:16 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:

I’m trying to wrap my arms around the thought of 6 million copper cents!

Same here. And I thought I was nuts for the amount I have. :P

I don't know how many pennies I have, but it's close to 20 five gallon buckets full... whatever amount that is. Each bucket weights about 170lbs.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:45 am

Catfish4u wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:

I do not remember exactly but I think the total weight of those copper pennies was around 35,000 pounds.[/quote]

I took a coffee can with exactly 3,000 copper cents and weighed it- it was 21.2# including the coffee can. So, 2,000 cans (6 million cents divided 3,000 coins in each) should weigh 42,400 lbs. Your statement of the total weight you have was actually CONSERVATIVE! That’s like a fleet of 14 cars- wow!

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:56 am

Catfish4u wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:

About 3/4 are stored in a semi trailer. The other 1/4 are stored in my basement. Some are on the floor and some are stored on commercial racks that claim they can hold up to 6,000 pounds although I never put near that much on those racks! I do not remember exactly but I think the total weight of those copper pennies was around 35,000 pounds.[/quote]

Hopefully those in the basement are above floor level in case of flooding…

My great aunt had countless thousands of Indian cents washed down the drain in her flooded basement many years ago.

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:56 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
My great aunt had countless thousands of Indian cents washed down the drain in her flooded basement many years ago.

:cry: :o :sick: :(
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:01 am

NDFarmer wrote:
Catfish4u wrote: I just wish our great country spent half as much on medical research as they do on death and destruction!

It has always been my opinion that the medical and pharmaceutical industries DO NOT want cures to be found. Imagine all the hospitals that would be shut down and doctors that would be out of a job if there were cures for most diseases!!

Sorry for the thread drift but I agree completely. This meme sums it up.

patient-cured.jpg
patient-cured.jpg (153.08 KiB) Viewed 490 times
MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 am

I was able to pick up a new buyer almost three years ago. I deliver to him roughly 4 times a year. I also sell a few rolls of AU/BU coppers at flea markets as well.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:54 pm

It certainly looks like there's an active market for bulk copper pennies on Ebay. Someone is actually selling 6,000,000 copper pennies for $90,000 right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/364488570724

But is it possible to make money doing this? I don't think there are enough buyers right now for this to be anything more than either a hobby, or a long-term hoarding investment/gamble.

I have a Ryedale machine, and it takes a lot of labor to source dozens of boxes of circulated pennies from a bank, pick them up from the bank and transport them back to my house, unwrap all those machine rolled pennies (this is really the brutal part, thank god my sons do it for me while they watch TV), run them through the Ryedale machine, package up all the copper cents, transport them to my dump bank, deposit them in the coin machine (which can only hold $200 in pennies before the tellers have to swap out the full bags for empties), and then finally dump the copper cents into long-term storage.

And that's not even taking into account the time we spend searching the copper cents for wheaties, foreigns, and IHPs.

When all is said and done, if some hypothetical person were buying each copper penny from me at full melt value, I'm probably earning between $1 per hour - $2 per hour. Minimum wage in Washington, DC is $17.50 per hour.

I think the only way to make real money doing this is if you happen to own a commercial coin wrapping company that already has access to enormous amounts of circulated coins, and can afford to invest capital into high-volume sorting machines and employees to run them. Otherwise, even if you have the capital to invest into machinery and labor, you're unlikely to be able to purchase (circulated unsorted) & dump (zinc sorted) millions of dollars in at face value. The coin wrapping companies are doing this now in some parts of the county. If the penny is ever abolished, then the treasury will take over and do it themselves.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

Regarding the weight of 6,000,000 pennies... If each one actually weighs 3.1 grams (I know, some are worn and weight less), then 6 million copper cents would weigh 40,920 lbs.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Silver4face » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:44 am

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:Regarding the weight of 6,000,000 pennies... If each one actually weighs 3.1 grams (I know, some are worn and weight less), then 6 million copper cents would weigh 40,920 lbs.

An ebay seller would go bankrupt trying to ship the 40,920 pounds unless the buyer pays for the shipping which would be very expensive, ESPECIALLY IN TODAYS INFLATION WORLD. The only other option is local delivery/pickup
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing