How much does a 50 gallon drum full of copper cents weight?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How much does a 50 gallon drum full of copper cents weight?

Postby horgad » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:09 am

Anybody have the pennies per gallon / weight per gallon numbers handy? Thanks!
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: How much does a 50 gallon drum full of copper cents weig

Postby JobIII » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 am

The main conversion I believe we've all committed to memory is 68 lbs = $100 (copper cents)

I think I could get somewhere around 140 lbs in a 4 gallon bucket. But this is a while ago. Have you tried searching for this in the forum?

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby horgad » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:57 pm

I should have wrote 55 gallon drum, but I think the answer is going to be just shy of a ton based on a whole lot of different answers found on the forum.
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Here is a 5 gallon plastic carboy that weighed 172.6 lbs. The jar itself only weighs a few pounds at most so you are looking at about 34 lbs per gallon.

29,467 pennie= $295 in 5 gallons so I would estimate $60 fv per gallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSfwHKRTDQ
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:36 pm

So if my math is not off. My post I was guessing ~ $51 FV per Gallon

Still under Lemon Thrower, so if you find it's under $60 FV/Gal I win per Price Is Right rulings. :P

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby dbalek » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:20 am

If I shake/compress a 5 gallon bottle of pennies I can get $300 in it. That's ~200 pounds.
So a compressed gallon is $60 or ~40 pounds
So 50 gallons could be 2000 pounds, literally a ton.
(you'd be surprised how much you can compress a gallon of pennies by shaking it, like a gold pan)
dbalek

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:18 am

Despite the convenience, I don't think volume is going to be a particularly accurate way of estimating face value. One gallon of pennies might be packed significantly looser/tighter than another gallon of pennies. I'm sure a 55-gallon steel drum is packed quite tightly indeed, but I wouldn't trust calculations based on smaller containers multiplied to get to 55 gallons.

If I were advising either the buyer or the seller, I'd recommend going by weight if at all possible.

Failing that, the seller should assume a very tight pack, but the buyer should assume a very loose pack.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:50 am

if you go by weight, you have to figure out the percentage of coppers from zincs as they weigh different amounts.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:17 pm

What I'm hearing is that it would be slightly more than I could comfortably lift. :P
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm

pmbug wrote:What I'm hearing is that it would be slightly more than I could comfortably lift. :P

Just wondering if it's a good idea to put the 55 gallon barrel in the attic first and then start filling it. It's all downhill from there.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:52 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:if you go by weight, you have to figure out the percentage of coppers from zincs as they weigh different amounts.

If I understand correctly, Horgad's steel drums are filled entirely with copper cents.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:58 am

shinnosuke wrote:
pmbug wrote:What I'm hearing is that it would be slightly more than I could comfortably lift. :P

Just wondering if it's a good idea to put the 55 gallon barrel in the attic first and then start filling it. It's all downhill from there.

OK, I chuckled. No one else?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:48 pm

68Camaro wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

I was amused, although it did not quite amount to a chuckle. More of an audible exhalation of air through my nose.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:29 pm

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:
68Camaro wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

I was amused, although it did not quite amount to a chuckle. More of an audible exhalation of air through my nose.

Tough audience tonight. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waiter.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:35 pm

finally figured out how to pronounce your user name and what it means. That's too bad lol.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:38 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

One day you will need to remove it from the attic..... I say keep it on street level
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:42 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:finally figured out how to pronounce your user name and what it means. That's too bad lol.

Me? :? LOL!
It's an old samurai name given to me in 1987 by a Buddhist priest. I put it on my business cards. Immediate conversation starter. So what do you think it means?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing