what's a "ugly Abe' ?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

what's a "ugly Abe' ?

Postby Rev.Jaye » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:53 am

Looking at the threads section. I am a new hand sorter and only count by the pound. Should I assume 168 per lb? Also, What is an Ugly Abe ? thanks
Rev.Jaye

Re: what's a "ugly Abe' ?

Postby misteroman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:16 pm

copper is about 150 per lb give or take 5 for wear. Ugly abes are usually the coppers with dings, green, crud etc
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby abe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Don't look at me I don't know
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 pm

My opinion for an "ugly Abe" is simply one beyond being desirable.

This can be from being worn out, burnt, or worse. Below is the Treasury technical terms, for me either can be "ugly."

:geek: The Treasury Department has prescribed regulations regarding uncurrent and mutilated coins.

:geek: Uncurrent coins are whole, but are worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion. They are easily recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and they are such that coin sorting and counting machines will accept them. Merchants and commercial banks will generally accept or refuse these coins at their discretion.

:geek: Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:57 pm

One little spooge of green, blue green, blue, or black verdigris and it's into the bucket and away from my keepers. Bad Ugly Abe, very bad. Otherwise, if it's American, copper, and the sorting machine kicks it out . . . it's also ugly which includes most if not all from the above post.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:44 am

Let's see how many reasons are there for a coin (especially Lincoln cent) to be ugly:

1) Bent
2) Rusted
3) Holed
4) Discolored
5) Heavily scratched
6) Fountain coins (water is not nice to Abe)
7) Foreign substance added (such as nail polish, tar, etc.)
8) Sticky coins
9) Very heavily worn (these aren't too common)
10) Other damage to the coin (i.e., one that has been cut by heavy duty scissors)
11) Dipped
12) Whizzed
13) Cleaned

There probably are a few others that I didn't include here. Feel free to add to the list.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing