Buying Copper Bullion

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Buying Copper Bullion

Postby krncoolwater » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi there,

Im new to the PM scene and recently got into collecting silver bullion and learned one of my co-worker bought silver around $4/oz (hoping for the same outcome on copper) now silver is at about 21/oz!! i can purchase silver rounds for 2-3 over spot but copper costs about 3.5/lb and are selling for 2-3 X's over spot! I.E. MH 10+ Ounce .999 Fine Copper Ingotn Brand: Market Harmony LLC $16.50, NMS 1 Pound Copper Bar - 2010 Liberty Head Brand: Nashville Metal Supply $9.75, CMC 10 Troy Ounce Copper Bar - Maple Brand: Central Metal Corp $14.95

Why does it seem that the copper premiums are almost double or triple the spot price of copper?

I would like to start a copper bullion collection and would like to hear any insights or comments as this seems like the place to go PM investing, thanks in advance...
krncoolwater

Re: Buying Copper Bullion

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:45 pm

from what I have read, copper bullion .999 fine is over spot for a few reasons. Mainly copper is dealt in tons at a time. so the spot price by the pound is for someone buying thousands of pounds at once. Also, .999 copper bullion is a niche market. I also believe copper is harder to work with, and purify to .999 than silver and gold.
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Cool Water, Welcome. The premium is primarily due to novelty - production costs - profits. The items you mention are sold as collectibles or conversation pieces. Pennies however still cost 1 cent.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:04 pm

I've noticed the same thing, but I have been approaching it from a different angle- I have plenty of very nice "scrap copper", but no way to get it melted down.

I've been working a second job for a while delivering appliances a day a week for a while now. Whenever we take out an old stove or dryer, I always take the cords off and strip them down to the copper wires. I'm starting to amass quite a collection of lovely copper wire and I've thought about scrapping it, but I would love to find someone who could melt it down into bars or something for me. That would just be cool and I would be willing to pay for it. I just wonder how much copper you would have to have to get that done.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 pm

It is my understanding that cu wire can be manufactured from a wide variety of alloys. While melting it into a bar would be cool, and possibly easier to stack/store, it would most likely actually be worth more to a scrap dealer in its wire form due to it's unknown composition as a bar. Unless of course you had it melted, refined, and poured by a reputable well known company with a purity stamp.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby krncoolwater » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:31 am

Thanks everyone for the cool insights. I just got to say WOW. Its normal to pay 2-3X's over spot for a copper bullion!? I like the ideal of sorting copper pennies as this seems like the most cost effective way to invest BUT i dont have the time and frankly too busy. does anyone know of a website that sells those copper pennies? i only found one reliable website and all copper pennies are sold out!

are there any other insights on copper? i understand this is the season for silver to go up historically. keep them coming, thanks!
krncoolwater

Postby Joogaler » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am

krncoolwater wrote: Does anyone know of a website that sells those copper pennies? i only found one reliable website and all copper pennies are sold out!
are there any other insights on copper? i understand this is the season for silver to go up historically. keep them coming, thanks!

Welcome to the world of copper hoarding! Some insights for copper pennies are: There is currently a ban on melting copper pennies (and zincs too I think) But I think all of us can agree it will eventually be lifted. Coper pennies hold a metal value unlike the dollar. So if the Fed keeps printing money, and our country ends up like Germany after WWII I have the feeling that we will just be using coins that hold a monetary value, so that's another thing to think about. I'm sure someone else on here can tell you better, and anybody correct me if I'm wrong about anything. Also I Copper penny bullion on eBay, and my ecrater account.
eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190449114192&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_680wt_1139
Ecrater - http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com

If you want better prices, my Ecrater store is where it's at, because it's my eBay price minus the fees! :mrgreen:

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:39 am

krn, No one is really buying copper bullion for 2 or 3X face as an investment. The little bars and coins that are being sold are are more for coolness and such then for an investment.I would really hope anyone looking for an investment wouldn't pay that and probably doesn't. I was going to buy a few of the large bars 20lbs+ just because I'm a copper hound but def. not for an investment.
Now if you're looking for copper as an investment, there are many people on here that would be willing to sell you copper for 1.5X face and give you all that you will ever need or want.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Neckro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

I do not believe copper will ever meet the level of silver/gold or any PM. Since that metal is all over the world, and everywhere you look. Do not pay more then melt for it.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby krncoolwater » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks again for all the honest replys back. i have to say...the 20lb bags of pennys looks good to me. also, are there other websites out there that sells copper pennies other than ebay?? thanks in advance all.
krncoolwater

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I've noticed the same thing, but I have been approaching it from a different angle- I have plenty of very nice "scrap copper", but no way to get it melted down.

I've been working a second job for a while delivering appliances a day a week for a while now. Whenever we take out an old stove or dryer, I always take the cords off and strip them down to the copper wires. I'm starting to amass quite a collection of lovely copper wire and I've thought about scrapping it, but I would love to find someone who could melt it down into bars or something for me. That would just be cool and I would be willing to pay for it. I just wonder how much copper you would have to have to get that done.

Contact Market Harmony who is a member. He does refining and would be able to tell you what would work and how much his charge would be to refine it for you.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:06 pm

krncoolwater wrote:Hi there,

Im new to the PM scene and recently got into collecting silver bullion and learned one of my co-worker bought silver around $4/oz (hoping for the same outcome on copper) now silver is at about 21/oz!! i can purchase silver rounds for 2-3 over spot but copper costs about 3.5/lb and are selling for 2-3 X's over spot! I.E. MH 10+ Ounce .999 Fine Copper Ingotn Brand: Market Harmony LLC $16.50, NMS 1 Pound Copper Bar - 2010 Liberty Head Brand: Nashville Metal Supply $9.75, CMC 10 Troy Ounce Copper Bar - Maple Brand: Central Metal Corp $14.95

Why does it seem that the copper premiums are almost double or triple the spot price of copper?

I would like to start a copper bullion collection and would like to hear any insights or comments as this seems like the place to go PM investing, thanks in advance...

I imagine that folks back "in the day" thought others to be a bit crazy for paying a nice premium to get a silver round or silver art bar when 90% silver coins could be readily found. Now, people pay these premiums all day long.

I have a few of the copper art bars and/or rounds and am very proud to have them in my collection. Yes, they are a great conversation starter but they are also something safe and secure to hold on to for future emergencies.

Contact natsb88 (The Copper Cave) or Market Harmony as they both have these wonderful products and both are well respected members of our forum.

These rounds and/or art bars made of copper make great gifts too--something unique! Christmas is coming.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:08 pm

The best deal you can get on copper bullion is to buy the copper pennies. You will get a better price by buying direct from other members here rather than through eBay. Anyone selling on eBay has to factor in that big eBay and PayPal bite. Here you can buy them in whatever size groups work best for you.. 20 pound bags, 1 pound bags, 68 pound boxes, up to several tons. Standard size seems to be $100 face in copper cents.. which weighs about 68 pounds and comes in just under the absolute max weight of 70 pounds with packing material when all packaged up. One of the 3 boxes I shipped out yesterday to another member came in at 69 lbs, 15.8 ounces.. 2 tenths of an ounce under absolute max weight.. a new record! :D

For the copper bullion bars the best place to get them is from Market Harmony or The Copper Cave, which is owned my Nate. Both provide customer service at levels multiple times above the standard. I believe the Copper Cave even provides special pricing to Real Cent members. I have several of these bars in my hoard. They are good sellers for me at coin shows. Seems I am always having to restock. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby myfundsarelow » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 pm

hello kcw if you want to invest in copper cents all you have to do is go to wanted sit on this forum to buy sell or trade you will get your answer PDQ state your amount wanted the good folks on this forum will do the rest PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi KCW I hand sort and have purchased 3 different 68# boxes and satisfied each time.
I pay with cashiers checks that i get free from my main bank, that adds 44 cents postage not 3% plus thru pay pal :evil:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 am

I'm a Copper Cave customer. I have a Market Harmony one pound + trade bar which I really like and some NMS 1/2 and one pound bars. The Nashville Metal Supply bars are simply bar stock stamped with a design and purity hallmark. I didn't buy these as an investment, or as barter units. I just like them. Great paperweights, of course you have to polish them now and then. Simichrome polish will make them shine like gold.

Also bought some copper art bars and rounds. I was lucky, got some 'Amero' rounds by CMC mint from CC before they sold out. These 'counterfeit' rounds have a story of their own. I gave away most of them to my conspiracy theory friends. Man! Did their eyes bug out! I still managed to hang on to a few. Really cool coins. Google the Amero and follow the story.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing