Long term/short term

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Long term/short term

Postby aristobolus » Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 pm

I'm sorting all I can because the penny's time is limited. I enjoy it as a hobby, and it is risk free. I think the key is to educate your kids so that they don't get stuck with a hoard they do not know what to do with.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 pm

When this thread started I had just joined realcent a few months earlier. I probably didn't chime in at the time because I was fully in the grip of sorting fever and only posted to the monthly tally boards :mrgreen:

In the beginning, I was all about the copper, nothing else. Pretty quickly I started separating the wheats, and selling them in bundles of $25 face as they accumulated. Naturally, any nicer examples say pre-1940 I hung onto.

That led to my eventually honing a "feel" for anything Lincoln that looked out of the ordinary. Sorted out both a '55 and a '72 doubled die that first summer. Not the Number 1 versions, but still respectable PCGS slabs (thanks to barrytrot)

Then, in the course of many dump runs, I got into swiping all that Canadian coin from the Penny Arcades. Which led to all kinds of coin collecting opportunities.

My point is that I believe if your interests are varied you're more likely to stick with whatever this weird obsession is we all seem to have. That's kind of where I am now. Not a major sorter or collector anymore, but not ready to give it up entirely. Age will do that to you 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 09, 2022 1:16 am

I still have every copper penny sorted since I joined Realcent in 2011, plus some I bought from members here. Lately, I hardly sort at all, but I keep even the zincolns now.

For nickels, I had about 30 boxes which I sorted for buffs/war/2009/older and returned the rest to my credit union. I regret that decision now.

I'll be 63 next month and I'm still healthy enough to load the stack on my truck so I'm not selling or trading...yet.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Mon May 09, 2022 10:31 pm

I would NOT stop sorting now or soon because the day will come when the bank rolls are GONE! Once the BS takes over, you won't be sorting unless you buy rolls from a Hoarder, and expect to pay a premium as well. If you need to take a break for a few days or even a few weeks, then that's fine. Been there, done that. But do not stop sorting. Buy rolls now even if you don't have time now to sort them. You will have time later.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aristobolus » Tue May 10, 2022 10:08 pm

If you think about it, it is quite amazing that the penny is still minted. It is worth so little in terms of buying power. I have had a theory for some time, that the powers that be have allowed it to circulate to keep the populace focused on minutiae. Or maybe our government has just not deemed it worthy to mess with. I will miss honest Abe when he is no longer among us in coin.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed May 11, 2022 11:51 am

aristobolus wrote:If you think about it, it is quite amazing that the penny is still minted. It is worth so little in terms of buying power. I have had a theory for some time, that the powers that be have allowed it to circulate to keep the populace focused on minutiae. Or maybe our government has just not deemed it worthy to mess with. I will miss honest Abe when he is no longer among us in coin.

I've wondered about this many times... nickels too.

As reckless and incompetent as the US government is, nothing surprises me anymore. Trillions of fiatscos are magically created on their special computer at the Fed.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed May 11, 2022 4:02 pm

Coins are the closest thing we have to real money. The seniorage on the dime and the quarter more than makes up for the cent and nickel. They need to keep minting nickels so that we have a coin that has true value.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Tue May 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the updated thoughts guys. I really appreciate reading your opinions. Always an interesting bunch replies! :thumbup:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Catfish4u » Wed May 18, 2022 9:42 am

Yesterday I drove through Taco Bell for a quick burrito. The total was $1.09 and I handed the girl $2. She handed me back $1 and said 'that is close enough'! I was surprised 'that much was rounded down'!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 18, 2022 3:37 pm

Catfish4u wrote:Yesterday I drove through Taco Bell for a quick burrito. The total was $1.09 and I handed the girl $2. She handed me back $1 and said 'that is close enough'! I was surprised 'that much was rounded down'!

I’m shocked to learn that un burrito costs only $1.09!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Klark Cent » Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm

I'm surprised they haven't stopped minting cents and changed the composition of the nickel.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed May 18, 2022 4:07 pm

Catfish4u wrote:Yesterday I drove through Taco Bell for a quick burrito. The total was $1.09 and I handed the girl $2. She handed me back $1 and said 'that is close enough'! I was surprised 'that much was rounded down'!

I would rather have the 0.91 cents in change, instead of the 0.9 cent profit. :P

I have noticed many people who hold these low level jobs cannot do basic math.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu May 19, 2022 10:20 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

I’m shocked to learn that un burrito costs only $1.09!

They probably shrank the size of the burrito in order to keep the same price. Always remember: what doesn't go up in price goes down in size
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:44 pm

I cashed in my U.S. nickels for face value years ago, but have kept Canadian .999 nickels and copper U.S. and Canadian cents. I prefer U.S. silver over 25% nickels.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:43 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I cashed in my U.S. nickels for face value years ago, but have kept Canadian .999 nickels and copper U.S. and Canadian cents. I prefer U.S. silver over 25% nickels.

Sucks that the prices have come down, but I expected it.

I'm keeping my US nickels. However, I did dump all my zincoln's.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:56 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I still have every copper penny sorted since I joined Realcent in 2011, plus some I bought from members here. Lately, I hardly sort at all, but I keep even the zincolns now.

For nickels, I had about 30 boxes which I sorted for buffs/war/2009/older and returned the rest to my credit union. I regret that decision now.

I'll be 63 next month and I'm still healthy enough to load the stack on my truck so I'm not selling or trading...yet.

Shinn, do not regret that decision unless you gave up older nickels. Do not regret it because you can easily go out and buy more. Do this now while you can. Also keep in mind that nickels have better potential than Zincolns. Perhaps you can convert your zinc pile into either nickels or more penny rolls to sort.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I cashed in my U.S. nickels for face value years ago, but have kept Canadian .999 nickels and copper U.S. and Canadian cents. I prefer U.S. silver over 25% nickels.

We all prefer silver over 25 percent nickels!!!! Good to have some of both, especially now.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing