Rounding Cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Rounding Cents

Postby slvrbck » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:28 pm

So I can't help but notice that people in everyday transactions are rounding to the nearest nick. At the gas station tonight the girl behind the counter boldly asked the guy in front of me if he even wanted his pennies! I recently paid with a lincoln for a total of $4.97. The guy actually looked at me weird when I waited for my change. . . secretly hoping I would get at least one copper. I think this happens more than most notice because the general public rarely even looks at their change. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences more frequently recently.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Rounding Cents

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:41 am

Right out of college, where early on I was working on a business degree but soon moved up to booze and fishing, I took a part time job at the local liquor store. I came up with a idea to make some gas/beer money. The counter didn't have one of those penny containers....add a penny/take a penny thingy. I just took my styrofoam coffee cup and cleaned it up. I then put 1 single penny in there. Left it on the counter by the register and people would just throw pennies and other change in there. When they left the store...all went into my pocket.....except that 1, single penny. I never wrote anything on the cup or said anything. And whenever they threw something in there I just looked at them kinda puzzled like I had no clue as to what they were doing. Almost everytime that person would just shrug their shoulders and walk out. I did notice, though, I was finding fewer and fewer pennies in the parking lot when I had to clean out there.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Joogaler » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Right out of college, where early on I was working on a business degree but soon moved up to booze and fishing, I took a part time job at the local liquor store. I came up with a idea to make some gas/beer money. The counter didn't have one of those penny containers....add a penny/take a penny thingy. I just took my styrofoam coffee cup and cleaned it up. I then put 1 single penny in there. Left it on the counter by the register and people would just throw pennies and other change in there. When they left the store...all went into my pocket.....except that 1, single penny. I never wrote anything on the cup or said anything. And whenever they threw something in there I just looked at them kinda puzzled like I had no clue as to what they were doing. Almost everytime that person would just shrug their shoulders and walk out. I did notice, though, I was finding fewer and fewer pennies in the parking lot when I had to clean out there.

I like that, they didn't know weather it was a tip jar, or a take a penny leave a penny. That's genious!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:42 am

That was like 20 years ago....too much plastic money now out there. I was young and stupid and maybe been drinking a little too much too! Maybe I need to open a liquor store to get more copper!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Right out of college, where early on I was working on a business degree but soon moved up to booze and fishing, I took a part time job at the local liquor store. I came up with a idea to make some gas/beer money. The counter didn't have one of those penny containers....add a penny/take a penny thingy. I just took my styrofoam coffee cup and cleaned it up. I then put 1 single penny in there. Left it on the counter by the register and people would just throw pennies and other change in there. When they left the store...all went into my pocket.....except that 1, single penny. I never wrote anything on the cup or said anything. And whenever they threw something in there I just looked at them kinda puzzled like I had no clue as to what they were doing. Almost everytime that person would just shrug their shoulders and walk out. I did notice, though, I was finding fewer and fewer pennies in the parking lot when I had to clean out there.

I think we had the same college experience!

BTW awesome cup idea…….wonder if it will work at a dental office :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing