1934 Federal Notes with the box of pennys

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1934 Federal Notes with the box of pennys

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Today I was picking up a box of cents for my son to look through at my Chase bank. I also was cashing a check to pay for them and the teller gave back three 1934 notes. She said some one deposited them other day and was holding them for us. :D
sc00c3d809.jpg
sc00c3d809.jpg (207.24 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 1934 Federal Notes with the box of pennys

Postby Joogaler » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Nice find, I really got to get my banks to start holding unique bills and coins from me. I've seen that others have had some nice finds too.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 pm

No Way!! Almost this exact thing (The bills were an $100 and a $10 from '34) happened to me almost a year ago but they were in the teller's locked drawer who was out for lunch. She said to come back later, so when I came back an hour later, she had given them to someone else! :(
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennysifter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 am

Unfortunately, unless the bills are CU (Crisp Uncirculated) they are worth hardly anything over face. Cool to see, but I wouldn't hold on to them long term. Better to invest in silver or pennies. I used to have hundreds of dollars in old bills that I hoarded only to find that they aren't worth anything. The only people that would buy for any reasonable amount of money have strict preferences for CU bills with sharp corners. Considering how many bills are/were produced at a given time and the few that collect them, it makes sense. I still have trouble letting my collection go since nobody will buy more than face value.
pennysifter

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:42 am

Sweet! Despite the failings of fiat, there is something pretty special about teh US notes. I particularly like that they are all the same size. :)

How do you know they are 1934 btw? I can't see a date...
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:37 am

To see the the are from 1934 you can make the page bigger and look at the lower right " Series of 1934" . In Windows click on the page and press the control button and then hit the + button down and it will blow up the page. To get it back to the same size press the control button and the zero "Zed" button. On an Apple same use the command "apple" button not the control and the +and it will do the same.
PS did you see the story of all the gold coin US coins that were dug up in the UK. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23888665-golden-double-eagle-hoard-dug-up-in-a-hackney-garden.do
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 am

No I did not see that, cheers for the link. Hackney is only about 15 mins from me in the van too. Time to invest in a metal detectior perhaps!
Scotsman in residence...

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:42 am

p.s. - cheers for the tips on date finding on the US notes. :)
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby oober » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:11 am

Finding 1934 notes are not uncommon in Fine condition, collectors want CU as stated earlier, but now if you can find a $500 1934 note, you will be able to get a decent premium over face.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennysifter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:56 am

Any $500 bill is worth more than face.
pennysifter

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing