The unknown hoarder.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

The unknown hoarder.

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:00 am

Well my teller at my only pickup bank told me that she has another coin guy ordering boxes.

Oh yeah…What is he getting?

So far he has made 3 (10) box orders of Nickels. That’s right someone in South-central WV is stacking the Jeffersons in grand increments. I know he isn't after the Ag. Closest dump dank w/ a counter is over an hour away. Love to know who the guy is so I could introduce him to Pre-82 Abraham. Time to be more inquisitive.

Moral of the story: Folks if it’s happening in my back yard.....time to hold onto your socks.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: The unknown hoarder.

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 am

I would bet he is a survivalblog reader. Rawles has encouraged his readers to hoard nickels.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:I would bet he is a survivalblog reader. Rawles has encouraged his readers to hoard nickels.

That would be my first guess too.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:22 pm

survivalblog is noting from a California reader (see other thread here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4039) that banks there have started charging a percentage surcharge (7.5% to 10%) for boxes of nickels. I just confirmed at lunch that that has not yet happened here in FL (bought another box).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 pm

68Camaro wrote:survivalblog is noting from a California reader (see other thread here http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4039) that banks there have started charging a percentage surcharge (7.5% to 10%) for boxes of nickels. I just confirmed at lunch that that has not yet happened here in FL (bought another box).

I would bet fees are more based on curbing coin hunters than premiums applied to specific denominations due to metal appreciation such as nickels. Many banks that are frequented by the CRH'ers are starting to charge fees for large coin requests. Have yet to see fees for boxes in my area but I am sure banks are catching on and know its an opportunity to make an extra buck.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:
68Camaro wrote:survivalblog is noting from a California reader (see other thread here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4039) that banks there have started charging a percentage surcharge (7.5% to 10%) for boxes of nickels. I just confirmed at lunch that that has not yet happened here in FL (bought another box).

I would bet fees are more based on curbing coin hunters than premiums applied to specific denominations due to metal appreciation such as nickels. Many banks that are frequented by the CRH'ers are starting to charge fees for large coin requests. Have yet to see fees for boxes in my area but I am sure banks are catching on and know its an opportunity to make an extra buck.

Clearly any discussion assumes these are real bank-wide fees, and not someone blowing smoke, or some rogue branch manager trying to minimize his costs.

We all agree that these fees are really usage premiums to recoup bank costs and discourage mass quantities of nickels from exiting their banks (requiring them to pay to re-order large sums from their armored service). But, in effect, this is an acknowledgment of their greater intrinsic value, so it could be an early start of a higher than face premium for nickels.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm

I couldn't order ten boxes of any coin at any TD Banknorth if I begged on my knees. They just won't do it anymore. Too costly.

I've already noticed a change in attitude just from Jan. One branch manager, who had previously been super cooperative, told me limits and fees are in discussion now.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 pm

When (if) the fees eventually do become a reality, I think most of us will just accept them as a cost of doing business. However, let's say they charge a 5% fee for a box of nickels. Will they also charge 5% if we just ask for 10 loose CWR or MWR? What about just 5 rolls? 1 roll?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:56 pm

I asked today for CWR of nickels at Credit Union, figured they would have 10-20 bucks worth, nope 198 dollars of nickels I got.

So you might want to ask for them, no fancy box, but the tellers at my credit union are super happy to get rid of CWR, because they have to count and re wrap them.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:I asked today for CWR of nickels at Credit Union, figured they would have 10-20 bucks worth, nope 198 dollars of nickels I got.

So you might want to ask for them, no fancy box, but the tellers at my credit union are super happy to get rid of CWR, because they have to count and re wrap them.

Wow!!! Your credit union must be a throw back to a better time and place. None of the banks or credit union branches I deal with count and rewrap the coins in CWRs--even BWRs (plastic sleeve type) are not 100% accurate. The last lot of dimes I recorded searched in the tracking thread was incorrect in coin count at about 32% (8 incorrect coin count rolls out of 25). That seems to be close to the norm lately, although I do get a pleasant surprise occasionally with near perfect coin count searches.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

because of Dodd Frank, banks will be adding fees left and right. if you plan to stock nickels, do so soon.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 999Ni » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:05 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:I would bet he is a survivalblog reader. Rawles has encouraged his readers to hoard nickels.

you know it. driving the lonely country out here, and saw this new house. Not a farmer, but a real nice new "suburban" type house, but the curious thing was this, the ole boy had a perimeter of 4 by 4 limestone blocks surrounding the house about 15 feet out, these blocks were huge, and i said to my brother, "betcha that boy's a prepper, reads survivalblog"......he agreed.

you see Rawles mentioned our area ONCE (and once only, Thank God) as a "retreat area".

Rawles does have influence.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby anarchir » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 pm

I too am a bit of a survivalist by nature (I recently started to listen to The Survival Podcast). I'm considering hoarding some nickels, but Im in that camp thats thinking there's not much need at the present. Might as well wait until the melt ban is lifted or they change the composition. Plenty of other coins to hoard till then (silver, copper pennies).
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:50 am

composition change is in the works - they are seeking comment.

since the guy is ordering only 10 boxes at a time, we know its not Ponce.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby goodcoin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:33 pm

I haven't been aggressively hoarding nickels, just saving the ones I find in my change. It seems that now is the time to start hoarding nickels. I sorted thru a box of cents this past week. Most of the rolls were all zinc and some had one copper and other rolls were @ 20% copper. The rolls must have been someones dump. I'm finding it more difficult to get a box of cents. The tellers are unwilling to cater to us small guys. What I believe is happening is more people are getting involved in the market of hoarding.
goodcoin
Penny Sorter Member

Postby adagirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:19 pm

All spells trouble for us. Time to hoard. I have been putting away one brick per week of nickels. I have more Canadian Ni .999 than US nickel..time to ramp up my efforts on the US nickel. No bank fees (yet) here, but if it is happening in CA then be prepared it is likely headed eastward.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Also, I lived in WV for over two years. Despite what the general public thinks of WV, the mountaineers are survivalists by nature. So I would guess that while it seems unusual that someone else in WV is hoarding, it is in the blood of Apalachians to survive. The exceptions to this may be the urban dwellers in Morgantown, Charleston, and Hungtington. So the guy probably is on survival blog. My neighbor in WV had 178 guns and a boat load of ammunition. They say "don't mess with Texas," but I would add to that and say don't mess with WV. Great people, but don't mess with WV!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins