Newbie - Beginners luck :)

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Newbie - Beginners luck :)

Postby bubbadog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:20 am

Hello all! :wave:

I am new to the board. I'm a mom of three kids 10,12,14 who have recently gotten into coin collecting. My 10 year old, who we call bubbadog has spent hours on this site reading and learning about coins. I took him to the bank with some of his savings and let him buy nickels to sort. He borrowed Grandmas HUGE penny jar to sort as well. I just want to say thanks for all the info we have found here! He is slowly working on a beginner collection of every year for all coins. He's worked his way back into the wheat pennies and is so excited every time he finds another year he needs. It's been a race to sort Grandma's pennies for her to find the wheat.

About the beginners luck... Bubba found a complete roll of 2009 nickels. You would have thought he won the lottery. :) My other kids found 12 more and 4 2009 dimes. So much fun to do as a family!
bubbadog

Re: Newbie - Beginners luck :)

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

Wonderful story and great to hear! Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 pm

bubbadog wrote: So much fun to do as a family!

Welcome, yes it is a great hobby for the whole family to get involved in. I wish my kids and wife would get even a little bit interested in my coin collecting hobby.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Best of luck in your new adventure!!!
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Uh, oh, gang. A 10 year old. Let's mind our P's and Q's.

Hey, a big bowwow to you, bubbadog! Glad you have decided to learn about real coins. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a silver dime in a roll from the bank. It's rare, but it can happen. Good luck.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:42 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Uh, oh, gang. A 10 year old. Let's mind our P's and Q's.

Hey, a big bowwow to you, bubbadog! Glad you have decided to learn about real coins. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a silver dime in a roll from the bank. It's rare, but it can happen. Good luck.

You mean P,D,S
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bubbadog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! I got a call from work from Bubba asking why I hadn't dumped and got him new nickels to sort. I've created a monster!

RedRockGirl (My online alter-ego)
bubbadog

Postby Romalae » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm

As a minor myself (16 years of age), I feel compelled to convey support and encouragement for your son as he begins to foster an interest for coinage with his siblings. It really is both a fantastic hobby and investment. I originally delved into the numismatic realm when I was around 7 or 8 and have been pretty much hooked since (I only recently discovered coin roll hunting about 3 years ago). My parents and others have observed how it's enabled me to become increasingly more keen to money matters (investing, saving, etc.) at a time when it seems like investing/saving money isn't close to being a priority in the metaphorical agendas of the youthful populace. I believe that if your offspring continue to pursue the activity, they will be on a better financial footing as they eventually endeavor into the pecuniary world. I know it's prepared me for a lot upon which my disinterested peers will miss out. It's an opening of doors; a coming of age, in a sense. It's a hobby like no other, and it'll pay off in the end. I bid you success in your ventures.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rsk1963 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

bubbadog wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome! I got a call from work from Bubba asking why I hadn't dumped and got him new nickels to sort. I've created a monster!

RedRockGirl (My online alter-ego)

:clap: there are worse things for him out there.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:40 pm

henrysmedford wrote:

You mean P,D,S

And sometimes O.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 pm

scyther wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:

You mean P,D,S

And sometimes O.

From--http://www.acoin.com/mintmarks.htm

Finding Mint Marks
A mint mark is a small letter (D and S being the most commonly encountered) somewhere on the coin. A mint mark tells you where the coin was made. Many coins also have the designer's initials hidden somewhere in the design. This is not the mint mark. The mint mark is almost always directly on the field and not usually part of any other device.

Because many American collectors collect coins by date and mint mark, the presence of a mint mark can (and often does) change the value of a coin considerably. This is because it can affect the rarity of the coin. For example, in the case of 1894 dimes, having the 'S' mint mark adds tens of thousands of dollars to the value of the coin as only 24 were minted.

Many American coins lack a mint mark. That is because in the beginning, there was only one mint, Philadelphia. So any coin lacking a mint mark is from the Philadelphia mint (or extremely recently, it might also be from West Point, but there is no way to tell.)

The following mint marks exist:
C - Charlotte, North Carolina (Early Gold Coinage Only 1838-1861)
CC - Carson City, Nevada (1870-1893)
D - Dahlonega, Georgia (Early Gold Coinage Only 1838-1861)
D - Denver, Colorado (1906-Present)
O - New Orleans, Louisiana (1838-1909)
P - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (War time nickels and 1982-Present non-copper coinage)
S - San Francisco (1854-Date -- last regular issue 1974)
W - West Point (1984-Date -- Special collector issues only, otherwise they mimic Philadelphia minted coins)
No mark - Philadephia, Pennsylvania (1793 to date)

The following list provides a hint as to where to look for the mint mark. Any coin not listed was probably only made in Philadelphia and thus lacks a mint mark.

Seated Liberty Coinage - On the reverse under the wreath or eagle with some minor exceptions.(CC, O, S)
Barber Coinage - On the reverse under the wreath or eagle tail. (O, S, D)

Indian Head Cents - 1908-09 only (S) on the reverse under the wreath.
Lincoln Cents - On the obverse under the date. (D,S)

Three cent silver - 1851 only (O) to the right of the C

V Nickel (1912 only (D,S)) - Under the dot to the left of the date.
Buffalo Nickel - (D,S) - Under the "Five Cents" on the reverse.
Jefferson Nickel - (D,S) -
Before 1965 Reverse to the right of building.
Since 1968 on the obverse under the date.
Wartime Silver (1942-45) on the reverse large above the building.

Mercury Dime - (D,S) Reverse to the left of the bottom of the faces.
Roosevelt Dime - (D,S) Reverse to the left of the bottom of the torch.

Standing Liberty Quarter - (D,S) To the left of Liberty's feet on the obverse.
Washington Quarter - (D,S)
1932-1964 Under the olive branch on the reverse.
1968-1998 Obverse to the right of the bow.
1999- still to the right of the bow.

Walking Liberty Half - (D,S) 1916-1917 Obverse under "In God We Trust"
1917-1947 - Reverse to the left of "Half Dollar" close to the rim Franklin Half Dollar - (D,S) Above the Bell
Kennedy Half Dollar -(D,S)
1964 - Under the left claw of the eagle.
1968-Present - Obverse under the bust of Kennedy. Trade Dollar - (CC,S) Reverse above D of Dollar.
Morgan Dollar - (CC, O, S, D) Reverse below wreath.
Peace Dollar - (D,S) Reverse Below ONE.
Eisenhower Dollar - Obverse under bust.
SBA Dollar - Obverse to the left of the bust. (always present)
Sacajaweah Dollar - To be determined. 2000 is close.

Gold Coins - In general, look under the tail of the eagles or wreaths on the reverse.
Incuse Eagle - To the left of the arrows under the eagle on the reverse.
St Gauden's - Above date (The A/G under the date is the designer's initials)

Commemoratives - Just look around the coin carefully. Remember the mint mark is generally in the field, not part of the device. Possible mint marks are (D, S, W).

Site Meter
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 am

Heh. I had actually heard of CC, now that I think of it. Never knew about those others though. I got a 1900 O dime at spot one time... I think it's worth like $8.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 pm

not too rare....
3 boxes will give up 1 for sure
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby moneydog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 am

awesome its a great time also filling the penny albums great babby sitter also :lol:
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RedRockGirl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 am

moneydog wrote:awesome its a great time also filling the penny albums great babby sitter also :lol:

I had no idea how good. I should have thought of this years ago. :lol: My older 2 kids are hit and miss. They are not as into this as Bubba is.
Going to pick up more boxes tomorrow. Hopefully enough to keep us busy until we can get to a bank again. We live in a super small town. :cry:
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

OH NO.....I can feel the "fever" in the air. Another one getting..........the............"FEVER"!

Best of luck gaining control of future cravings for boxes, or rolls, or bags, or just the ones seeing laying lonesome in EVERY parking lot!

:shh: It's ok here. :shh:

A great Christmas gift would be a metal detector.... :thumbup: !!!!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RedRockGirl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:OH NO.....I can feel the "fever" in the air. Another one getting..........the............"FEVER"!

Best of luck gaining control of future cravings for boxes, or rolls, or bags, or just the ones seeing laying lonesome in EVERY parking lot!

:shh: It's ok here. :shh:

A great Christmas gift would be a metal detector.... :thumbup: !!!!

I've drank the KoolAid, fingers twitching for a new box. :lol:
You read my mind. I've already started looking for a metal detector for Bubba for Christmas!
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Time to get the Canadian Whitman cent folder.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins