Nickels stolen

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickels stolen

Postby fasteddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 am

I saw on the news this morning that $18,000 in nickels was stolen from a house in Florida. It wasn't said if they were in boxes, bags, or if they were numi's. Hope it wasn't an RC member.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: Nickels stolen

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Wow, that is a lot of nickels and a lot of work for the thieves. Usually thieves are not so industrious unless they are on meth.

I once had over 1000 dollars face value of nickels but have searched and dumped them since the metal value is rather low now and my credit union has a nice coin counting machine which makes it easy to dump larger amounts of coin. I have one sealed box left from some years ago which I'd like to keep for another decade or so before opening or selling.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Wow, almost 4,000 pounds, too much for a pickup truck?
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:45 pm

4000 lbs... at least the criminals worked for that $18,000 - :)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:40 pm

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6761312 This articles says they were in blue and white large brick sized boxes (aka nickel boxes) The math in the article seems all screwy though. Police are asking banks to be watching for someone trying to exchange large amounts of nickels. I guess that is the way to catch them.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Did anyone see the Market Place ad for $18000 in nickels, all boxed, pickup only in Florida?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Dumped mine a while back... only had about 100 dollars or so... bought Alcoa stock with it
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Romalae » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Police are asking banks to be watching for someone trying to exchange large amounts of nickels. I guess that is the way to catch them.

Well it should be noted that for anyone in the area, now is certainly not the time to do a nickel dump.

This is a crazy story. I find it remarkable that a thief would actually go to the effort of stealing 18k in nickels. I always assumed that having a large coin stash would be far safer than the equivalent of paper money for this very reason.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 pm

lol. it happened during a house party according to the article..... you know those parents are pissed.... "WHAT!!! You had a party while we were with your Grandmother in the hospital for those 2 days? WHAT!!! One of your friends stole my shotgun, and my .45, and all my ammo? WHAT!!!!! ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS EACH GRABBED 2 BOXES OF MY NICKELS I HAVE BEEN SAVING FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS!!!!!!!"

that kid is going to be grounded for life.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Didn't Ponce live in Florida?
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 am

http://staugustine.com/stories/062505/sta_3166682.shtml

How about a semi truck full of nickels...45,000 lbs. Going from New Jersey to O....(get my coin code) ;)

FBI contact a company that puts coin counters in grocery stores....that's funny....Coin Star...please wait till we catch up....for days on end.

I guess another good reason to be honest when dumping so you are not put on the FBI radar for stolen nickel dumping.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 pm

fasteddy wrote:http://staugustine.com/stories/062505/sta_3166682.shtml

How about a semi truck full of nickels...45,000 lbs. Going from New Jersey to O....(get my coin code) ;)

FBI contact a company that puts coin counters in grocery stores....that's funny....Coin Star...please wait till we catch up....for days on end.

I guess another good reason to be honest when dumping so you are not put on the FBI radar for stolen nickel dumping.

and we think we have a problem dumping coins...
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins