It happened again today!!! 2nd time in my life.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

It happened again today!!! 2nd time in my life.

Postby cecropia_moth » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:21 pm

I don't sort through a lot of nickel boxes. Unlike the enormous quantities of dime and half dollar boxes I've cycled through since 2009, the number of nickel boxes is small, although still significant. I'll guess ~100 boxes. In all those boxes, never found the 1950-D.

On 6/25/2011 I found my first and it came in pocket change no less. Got it at the neighborhood Speedway gas station/convenience store. It was nice and looked like it has just dropped into circulation -- high AU or maybe even yet a low MS coin.

Fast forward.

Today -- 6/6/2015. Got my 2nd!!! Can't say for sure where it came from, could have been either the CVS or I made stops at the bank and credit union. This one has been out there a little longer, but still nice. Perhaps a low AU coin.

I'm 43 and looked for that coin throughout my childhood and most if not all of my adult life (always checked my pocket change). Now two in the space of four years, both from pocket change, not heavy roll hunting.

Just amazes me.

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Re: It happened again today!!! 2nd time in my life.

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Gratz:

Still looking for my first.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Congratulations. Nice finds.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Nice find! I have never found one in the wild, been looking since around 1959.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cecropia_moth » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

Crazy that one could get so excited over a ~$10 coin.

cooyon - I think you are in good company...tough, tough circulation find. My dad, 72 never found one in the late 50's-early 60's when he cared about coins. Not surprising though to me as these were largely hoarded from the go. But, I'm sure he hasn't been as diligent checking all his pocket change throughout his adult life. I would be willing to bet they are rarer in circulated than in MS. I'm sure many OBW rolls still exist and of the rolls that have been cracked the best coins are now in TPG slabs and others in 2X2's.

I am going to name this coin American Pharoah in honor of finding it on the same day Triple Crown history was made!

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Awesome
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Awesome! I'm not expecting to ever see one. I sorted a lot of nickel boxes a couple years ago, nary a one in 135 boxes before I lost steam.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cecropia_moth » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 pm

Since finding the first one I have wondered if my geography has given my a little advantage. (As if a whole TWO found can really prove anything!!!)

But I recall reading somewhere that these were all released in the Dallas, TX area. The story went that the bank employees were aware of the mintage and trunk fulls of these were brought to and sold to Chicago and Milwaukee area dealers. I am in SE Wisconsin. If that story is true a larger percentage of these could have been sold to collectors in the region. As time moved forward, and we know these things work, perhaps a small number are slipping back to circulation. Very strange to get the two in true pocket change though and not one ever from boxes. Wish I could find that article that I had read long ago about who these were distributed.

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Never have found one in decades of looking. I'd guess that fewer than 1 in a thousand collectors has found two in their lifetime.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cooyon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 pm

I bet these came out of a Whitman folder that was either inherited or "borrowed" from a relative.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins