My Uncle's Coin Collection

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

My Uncle's Coin Collection

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 am

Soo....i was chatting with my uncle about my new hobby and that brought up the subject of a coin collection left to him by his father. Needless to say, what he had was quite impressive...at least 50 or more Kennedy and Walking Liberty halves from 64 and prior, a few 1943 steel pennies, several wheats of various dates, a couple viles of old dimes in different conditions, 4 War Nickels, 3 Indian Head Nickels....and a small jar of various foreign coins from around the world. I'm betting that he must have had at least 30 different types of those. So.....I was really drooling over this :o I was telling him that I would be VERY interested in the collection, but I have no idea what it would be worth at all. I told him these coins should be appraised by a professional to get a more accurate idea or look up some of the values on Coinflation. I asked him if I could buy the quarters from him....and maybe every couple weeks buy a part of the collection, but he said that he doesn't want to sell them quite yet :( It's OK, though, I wouldn't feel right about buying something that could potentially be worth hundreds or maybe a couple thousand dollars worth. Anyway, just had to share this story :)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: My Uncle's Coin Collection

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:21 am

Oh, I forgot to mention the many Silver dollars he had as well....I think some of them were Morgans.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:58 am

Plus....some 2 dollar Silver Certificates and a couple of bills with red ink on them...not sure what they are called.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Neckro » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:25 pm

Should put the idea in his head that if he ever wants to sell them, come to you first. That way you both end up winning.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:50 pm

red ink should be US notes
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Yes, they were US currency bills. Wish we could redeem those notes for silver today!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Unfortunately those bills were disowned years ago, can;t be redeemed for anything. But nice collectors items.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:04 pm

That's a shame about those red notes. They look cool. I told my uncle to PLEASE call me first if he should decide to ever sell those coins. I pretty sure he will. My aunt will make him! :D
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby robroy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Your uncles collection sounds inpressive. Your grandfather's collection should be get together and in the family if at all possible. If you do get it, you will have a good foundation for expansion. I'm trying to do the same for my family and I hope they want to build on what I've started. Towards that end I'm giving my kids ASE and peace dollars to get the interested, plus starting them off with a well situated ATB quarter sets.

If you have yound kids you should possibly start them off small with a circulation set. Just to pique their interest. It can't hurt.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:18 pm

robroy wrote:Your uncles collection sounds inpressive. Your grandfather's collection should be get together and in the family if at all possible. If you do get it, you will have a good foundation for expansion. I'm trying to do the same for my family and I hope they want to build on what I've started. Towards that end I'm giving my kids ASE and peace dollars to get the interested, plus starting them off with a well situated ATB quarter sets.

If you have yound kids you should possibly start them off small with a circulation set. Just to pique their interest. It can't hurt.

Yeah, I don't have any kids at all. Maybe my folks have some silver tucked away somewhere....I should inquire!

Meanwhile, the hoard continues to grow....almost filled my first 3 gallon bucket of nickels...and have a good start one for pennies as well.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 pm

The family coin story continues.....I was visiting my parents tonight at their house and the subject of my coin hobby came up. It turns out that they've been collecting loose change for quite a while and said that I can look through all they have! :o Something like several containers full... Hopefully, I will score some really neat stuff!!! Tune in next week when I get the results! YAY for me!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PADFH » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:25 pm

I have a friend of the family with 30 years of coin change in buckets. I've begged him not to just dump it without letting me go through it. I can't wait!
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jacer333 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:11 am

Let us know if you guys find any goodies!
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 pm

I hope some find some good ones! The way my folks "hoard" some things, you never know what kind of cool stuff I will come across...
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 pm

An update to an old post! I was away in northern Minnesota this past weekend, seeing one of my uncles who lives near Bmidji.

Anyway, we began talking about the economy, coins and precious metals and how it's all connected. I told him I was a coin collector
and PM enthusiast, and so he granted me permission to look at what kind of coins he's had for many years, dating back to the Cuban
missile crisis. After looking at what he found, I came away with a 64 half in excellent condition and a worn standing liberty quarter.
He had coins from several other countries in the world too!

Not a bad find, but I also came away with a bunch of coppers, both US and canadian. Plus a handful of Canadian Ni :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins