Real cent corners the market

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Real cent corners the market

Postby slvrbck » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:41 am

How many nickels do you think each of us would have to buy over the next month to secure a composition change in the nickel early next year? Just curious if it could be possible. Illegal?
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Real cent corners the market

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:42 pm

I think someone calculated the number of pre-82 pennies out there and we are barely making a dent - we maybe(?) have about 1% when you count major holders like Portland Mint. With the higher FV of the nickel it would be extremely hard for a forum this size to have any real impact, imo.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 pm

As cool as it would be, it might only be a drop in the bucket for US nickel stacks. Especially if these guys who sort nickels keep dumping all their coin for new coin! :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby misteroman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 am

on a similar note,A buddy and myself were going to try and corner the 55-d qtr market over a period of yrs. of course I'd be melting all mine now. But I don't think We as a whole could affect the market unless we all started selling everything we owned and just bought nickels
misteroman

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 am

We could not even keep up to the new nickels being produced.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 am

We have a visible percentage of the copper penny market I'm pretty sure...

We have about 500 Members, if they each have $1500 face value, that's 75 million pennies, which is a small percentage of the coppers made (I don't know the exact amount made between 59-82).
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 am

Roadrunner wrote:We have a visible percentage of the copper penny market I'm pretty sure...

We have about 500 Members, if they each have $1500 face value, that's 75 million pennies, which is a small percentage of the coppers made (I don't know the exact amount made between 59-82).

I dont remember what the numbers were but someone added up how much tonnage is in circulation and how much tonnage we might have and it is not a dent. I think 1500 is a way over estimate. We have some big time guys here but 1500 average is still too much I think. Even if you factor in the portland mint, I dont think we are doing anything to the copper penny supply (well an insignificant amount).

Unless the theory that the guys in California get low percentages because Hoard has them all is true :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm

http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... -2010.html

The mint has made 414.24 million nickels just this year alone. No way we could touch the market even if we each had $100k. $100k in nickels and 1500 members is 3 billion nickels. That gets us from 2010 to half of 2001.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55 pm

TXBullion wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:We have a visible percentage of the copper penny market I'm pretty sure...

I dont remember what the numbers were but someone added up how much tonnage is in circulation and how much tonnage we might have and it is not a dent. I think 1500 is a way over estimate. We have some big time guys here but 1500 average is still too much I think. Even if you factor in the portland mint, I dont think we are doing anything to the copper penny supply (well an insignificant amount).

Unless the theory that the guys in California get low percentages because Hoard has them all is true :mrgreen:

I don't think $1500 is way over...but maybe slightly over...the thing about coppers is that they aren't making them anymore (unlike nickels) so everyday we're gaining ground. :)
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins