US nickel back below 5 cents

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

US nickel back below 5 cents

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 18, 2012 5:12 am

Intrinsic value now less than face, for first time in awhile.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: US nickel back below 5 cents

Postby NHsorter » Fri May 18, 2012 6:16 am

Dang, is it time for me to cash in all of these bricks now before the bottom drops out of the nickel market? :D Just kidding. Do you think the bank would cut me a deal for bricks at spot? I don't want to pay more than the metal value for nickels.

I wish that a drop in Nickel prices would result in a lower cost for Canadian .999, but so far I have not seen much for deals.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Fri May 18, 2012 9:07 am

I wonder if this is why there were so many. 999 lots up for sale a few months back on here? Its like they knew it was coming
misteroman

Postby dakota1955 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:45 pm

over 5 cents now
dakota1955

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri May 18, 2012 6:00 pm

... still stacking 38-49 and 50-59.... gives me something to do while I'm looking for war nickels
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Pretty soon we'll be able to afford to mint pennies again.........

Right......................
fb101

Postby Klark Cent » Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 pm

101.29%

yes!
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue May 22, 2012 4:18 am

NHsorter wrote:I wish that a drop in Nickel prices would result in a lower cost for Canadian .999, but so far I have not seen much for deals.

At this current Nickel spot us Canadians are unwilling to sell them, especially after factoring
in shipping. ;) Have to fetch at least $10 a pound (net after shipping) to be worth letting
them go with the work picking up, sorting, and dumping the steelies taken into account.

Also I've temporarily shifted my sorting efforts to the penny since time is limited on their
availability. Just doing a magnet sort now to take out the steelies, will separeate the copper
from zinc later.

When I can't get pennies anymore I'll shift back to nickels.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 am

Back below face again. Haven't seen this in a while.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Another article and video on nickels over at Whiskey and Gunpowder.

http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/how-much ... oin-worth/
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm

What would Ponce do?
hobo finds

Postby Klark Cent » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:35 pm

107.19%
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Good to see
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby misteroman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Is there a law about how much. 999 nicks you can ship to the US? How about driving over the border? Im 5 mins away from the border and wouldnt mind picking up a few hundred pounds if the price was good because of no shipping.
D
misteroman

Postby ZenOps » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:42 pm

There is a limit of $10,000 for Canadian coins to the US.

But you are unlikely to find anyone who actually has boxes of pure nickels for sale. One of the larger coinshops in Canada usually only has 30 pounds or so for sale at a time. In my local city Calgary (one million people) the one bullion dealer only allows a maximum of $3,000 in silver per day (even though they have more) Its just in case the US prints up a trillion dollars in one day and tries to buy out everything in one swoop.

The pure nickel 25 cent piece (quarter) is now under 15% due to ARP.

As far as I know, there is no Adam Young equivalent in Canada. If you want nickel nickels you have to get them the old fashioned way.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:49 pm

I think I'm getting more than 15% Ni CDN quarters here - believe I'm still at something like 30-40% when I find them on the counter magnet
68Camaro

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:41 pm

68Camaro wrote:I think I'm getting more than 15% Ni CDN quarters here - believe I'm still at something like 30-40% when I find them on the counter magnet

I should move to Florida..... Here in Québec my average is 12% and dropping.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:36 pm

I've been thinking about picking up Canadian .999 nickel coins in other denominations...dimes, quarters..if I can find them. Is is worthwhile to pick these up for nickel content? I'm guessing no, tentatively...since face value would be higher for these coins, correct?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dannan14 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:32 am

ZenOps wrote:In my local city Calgary

Ahhh, Calgary. The setting for "Last Will and Temperament"....if you're a Dr. Demento fan (or more specifically The Frantics) that may make sense.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:08 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:I've been thinking about picking up Canadian .999 nickel coins in other denominations...dimes, quarters..if I can find them. Is is worthwhile to pick these up for nickel content? I'm guessing no, tentatively...since face value would be higher for these coins, correct?

Yeah not (yet) worth it for the nickel alone if you're paying face. But I get them for free.
68Camaro

Postby ZenOps » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:16 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:I've been thinking about picking up Canadian .999 nickel coins in other denominations...dimes, quarters..if I can find them. Is is worthwhile to pick these up for nickel content? I'm guessing no, tentatively...since face value would be higher for these coins, correct?

I'm guessing that the ARP will make hunting for pure nickel quarters next to impossible. At the rate they are going, there will actually be fewer pure nickel quarters than pure nickel nickels by next year (about 10% on each)

It took 30 years for pure nickel nickels to get to 10% (entirely hand sorters) it only took 4 years for the ARP machine culls at a billion coins and and iron dilution for ten years to bring nickel quarters to about 10%. Every quarter was a pure nickel quarter back in 1999. To go from 100% to 10% in ten years is amazingly efficient.

However, the ARP may or may not cull the dimes. Its pretty obvious to me that the ARP are not taking nickel metal dimes. They seem to have done the exact same thing in 1968, they went for the quarters first and left the dimes for the "people". Noone ever hunts for silver quarters, but you can still find a dime every now and then. I imagine it will be the same for nickel dimes say - 30 years from now when people are CRH for nickel metal dimes.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 am

ZenOps wrote:

I'm guessing that the ARP will make hunting for pure nickel quarters next to impossible. At the rate they are going, there will actually be fewer pure nickel quarters than pure nickel nickels by next year (about 10% on each)

It took 30 years for pure nickel nickels to get to 10% (entirely hand sorters) it only took 4 years for the ARP machine culls at a billion coins and and iron dilution for ten years to bring nickel quarters to about 10%. Every quarter was a pure nickel quarter back in 1999. To go from 100% to 10% in ten years is amazingly efficient.

However, the ARP may or may not cull the dimes. Its pretty obvious to me that the ARP are not taking nickel metal dimes. They seem to have done the exact same thing in 1968, they went for the quarters first and left the dimes for the "people". Noone ever hunts for silver quarters, but you can still find a dime every now and then. I imagine it will be the same for nickel dimes say - 30 years from now when people are CRH for nickel metal dimes.

Well, I may get some just for the heck of it, but only at face value.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 am

I keep 1970, 1973, 1991 (although I've never found one) and keep a single set of the nicest 1992 ten provinces quarters. I will also keep the US state quarters as I find them.

A lot of people like the colourized poppies and pink ribbon quarters, but I personally throw them back into circulation.

Which pretty much means that 90% of iron quarters I throw back, and 8% of nickel quarters I also throw back. Less than 2% are actual keepers for me.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Klark Cent » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:39 pm

102.03%
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ZenOps » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Back to 4.98 cents.
Beaver collector