WTH - only BofA and WF have boxes?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

WTH - only BofA and WF have boxes?

Postby 97guns » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:23 pm

i went to 5 different banks today and only BofA and WF had boxes ready to go. both cahse and citi had to give me customer rolled stuff. is this the norm for these 2 banks to not have boxes?
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: WTH - only BofA and WF have boxes?

Postby newton7 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:43 pm

BoA, CapOne and BVAA all handed me boxes today. All new and fresh, no customer rolls but i dont bank at citi or cahse. It could also be a Friday or payday issue. I know I have hit snags on paydays in the past and try to avoid Fri/Sat if possible. Hope this helps.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 97guns » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 pm

ty, how many boxes do you buy at a time?
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:42 am

97guns wrote:ty, how many boxes do you buy at a time?

I love customer wrapped rolls.. and am always pleased when banks sell them to me. You have a much better chance of copper and other good things with CWR's. Don't expect banks to have boxes.. and if they do, don't expect them to sell them to you. The generally reserve their boxes for their merchant customers. They tend to order just enough boxes of pennies to fill the weekly demand of their merchant customers.. and certainly not stacks of extras that will fill up the vault.. this is why they rarely have "extra" boxes to sell to you. In order to get boxes on a regular basis, you need to establish a good relationship with the bank and get to where they order them specifically for you on a weekly basis.

What, you thought this was easy? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 97guns » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:34 am

the chase branch where i bank at offered to order me some boxes because they do not normally carry them, would it look abnormal to order 10 boxes?

how do i hual 10 boxes out of the bank?

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:39 am

97guns wrote:the chase branch where i bank at offered to order me some boxes because they do not normally carry them, would it look abnormal to order 10 boxes?

how do i hual 10 boxes out of the bank?

Might seem abnormal, just act natural :D

As for the haul, either multiple trips with very heavy duty bag (porter cable nail gun bag :lol: ) or a cart. Be ready to get a couple of looks with the cart :lol: Also, make sure your cotter pins are secure so you dont have a wheel fall off :oops:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cwgii » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:53 am

branches within the same bank , do things different. i have one that will not sell me cwr , as it may have short rolls etc. . yet another branch, will only give me cwr as has been stated. .. they hold the bwr for 'businesses'.

that said, i find it more of a feast or famine on cwr. .. too many times i get skunked. either on wheats, war/buffs. as they are 'different' and stand out when people roll their coins.

but just often enough, you get a 'haul'. like last night i got one roll....... 5 buffs, all no dates, a 44d war, one 1948,,,,, and a coin i had not seen before, a 1936 mexican 5 centavos.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Think of it this way. Some branches are net shippers of coin - they get in more coin than their clients can use. Typically branches in residential areas fall into this group, think coin drives, piggy banks etc. These are good source banks.

Some banks are net importers of coin. These branches have business customers that use coin in the tills. These branches are often in big commercial areas.

Either one can be a decent source bank. You can get CWR at the branches that would otherwise have to ship coin at a cost. They will like you for taking it off their hands. Don't expect big quantities though. If you ask for big blocks of coin they will freak though.

At the importing branches it is easier to get lots of boxes because they are used to importing coins for their business customers. Your request just gets tacked on.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 97guns » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:19 pm

i just got back from a successfull run. i went to 2 BoA and a WF netting 6 boxes of nickels and 3 pennies, both of the BoA tellers did not have the nickels at their station - they had to "buy them" from the main stash. i also went to my Chase to do my banking, they do not carry boxes but can order them so i ordered 2 nickels and a penny, we'll see how this goes.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 pm

how'd you do with those nickel boxes 97guns??
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 97guns » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:27 pm

im not searching the nickel's, should i be?

tomorrow i go to pick up the 2 nickel and penny that i ordered from chase

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 pm

i just assumed you did, sorry.

i check for buffs, war nicks, and anything pre-1960 goes in a separate pile. of course, some people just put the nickel boxes away that they get and thats fine too! Up to you.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 97guns » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 am

i guess i can do that when and if its feasable to sell.

97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am

999Ni wrote:i just assumed you did, sorry.

i check for buffs, war nicks, and anything pre-1960 goes in a separate pile. of course, some people just put the nickel boxes away that they get and thats fine too! Up to you.

I've only ever gotten one box of nickels to search and it was a big boring disappointment. Usually just get a few rolls each week, when I can. I, too, prefer the CWRs but occasionally the bank has individual BWRs. So I take what I am offered. I may try another box one day to see if the results are any better, otherwise I will just stick with getting a few rolls at a time from the teller.

I am only lacking one coin now to fill my 1938 - 1964 nickel album. All coins were obtained at face value. I did cheat recently when I "found" a few WNs that I had stashed away from long ago finds from when we had our business and searched through those to fill some of the empty spots in the album.

The 2009 nickels are still very, very hard for me to find.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins