anyone still stacking us nickels?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

anyone still stacking us nickels?

Postby John_doe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm

just wondering if everyone has backed off on these or if you are still stacking with the price drop below face?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Re: anyone still stacking us nickels?

Postby JustINaVW » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 pm

I keep all pre 60s, it will come back around if your stacking for melt value.
JustINaVW
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 pm

not adding to it, but not solely due to price dip. Instead I now have copper and a fair amount of bullion nickel as a buffer so don't need so many. just keeping 6 or so boxes on hand at any one time while searching them now for pre-61s and especially buffs, v nicks and warnicks. then rotating for fresh boxes.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm holding for now except for loose change. I'm using almost all available funds to take advantage of lower PM prices. If prices fall even further, I will seriously consider turning in some of my nickels to create some more dry powder.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 pm

I used to keep $1000 in nickels. They're gone now. $1000 goes a long way buys silver now.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Computer Jones » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 am

I keep 1K in Nickles, but trade a box or two out now and again to look for War Nickles, Buffs, pre-60's and the elusive older stuff. Makes me feel a bit better from all the Halve skunking I've endured so far this year when I find a War Nickle or something interesting.

The price will come back for Cu/Ni and (thank The Lord) I don't need to use the capital for anything else at this time.

I've got plenty of time (knock wood!) to wait and realize a profit from this modest investment.
It is always there if/when I NEED it.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Keeping all pre 1960 plus all errors. Also keeping sealed mint boxes when I come across them (only one ever found at my banks).
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:27 pm

I would say adding $100-200 mo or so still. Anything from change, vending machines and if a teller has extra they let me know.
misteroman

Postby angel2004 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't have many nickels but I do save all in change. It really doesn't matter to me that for the moment they are worth a slight amt less than face. They at least have an intrinsic value worth keeping.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:18 pm

I stopped stacking per se, instead I go through about $600 per week looking mostly for warnicks and buffs and old BUs, but also pulling all the pre-60s and saving them. So my stack is a lot smaller but they are nickels that may have some semi-numi content.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby John_doe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm going to keep stacking until they debase them. I don't want to have to sort. My logic being that I have no risk involved, and a bunch of dry powder for gold when I find my re entry point. (Worst case scenario)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Current profit potential for regular nickels doesn't seem to justify them collecting dust. I M O the capital is better directed towards silver or other "flippable" tangibles. Buy, sort, turn over.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:13 pm

I have bank sealed boxes of nickels that I would not get rid of. I think they will be valuable in the future. Well actually I am not getting rid of any of my nickels now, but only keep the ones I get in change.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Sorting two boxes now... Keeping all the pre 60 stuff and dumping the rest back. Slow going but I add a few boxes of pre 60 every year... It's starting to take up space now.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Search a few boxes per a month now. If the bank orders me a box and it happens to be a mono-date BU one ( I get them on occasion) I'll hold onto it, but aside from the CRH aspects of getting in nickel boxes, I will dump the coins otherwise and not hold onto them for CuNi bullion purposes.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:24 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Search a few boxes per a month now. If the bank orders me a box and it happens to be a mono-date BU one ( I get them on occasion) I'll hold onto it, but aside from the CRH aspects of getting in nickel boxes, I will dump the coins otherwise and not hold onto them for CuNi bullion purposes.

I forget who directly influenced me at the time, but if it wasn't you it was someone like you in a post like this. Having already sorted a large stash of copper, this past winter I decided I no longer needed my 18 boxes of nickels that I had gotten several years ago as insurance, and in keeping with the above philosophy searched through them and dumped the balance. I pull out warnicks, buffs, V nicks, and pre61s (I actually keep the 60s as well, in a separate bag), as well as BU coins from 61-00 and proofs that I run across. Since then (less weeks where I'm too busy to sort) I've been sorting and dumping 6 boxes a week, slowly building up a new, different (and still small, probably only a couple boxes worth so far) stash of pre-61s. Most of them are "common" and not high quality, but if I'm going to keep some nickel on hand it might as well be old nickel with a possible low-level numi value.

Plus its giving me quite a few ounces of 35% silver on the side, and a few buffs and Vs to boot, and it has filled quite of few remaining holes in my Dad's old nickel album and the one I had as a kid, and motivated me to start a couple more albums.
68Camaro

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 pm

68Camaro wrote:I forget who directly influenced me at the time, but if it wasn't you it was someone like you in a post like this. Having already sorted a large stash of copper, this past winter I decided I no longer needed my 18 boxes of nickels that I had gotten several years ago as insurance, and in keeping with the above philosophy searched through them and dumped the balance. I pull out warnicks, buffs, V nicks, and pre61s (I actually keep the 60s as well, in a separate bag), as well as BU coins from 61-00 and proofs that I run across. Since then (less weeks where I'm too busy to sort) I've been sorting and dumping 6 boxes a week, slowly building up a new, different (and still small, probably only a couple boxes worth so far) stash of pre-61s. Most of them are "common" and not high quality, but if I'm going to keep some nickel on hand it might as well be old nickel with a possible low-level numi value.

Plus its giving me quite a few ounces of 35% silver on the side, and a few buffs and Vs to boot, and it has filled quite of few remaining holes in my Dad's old nickel album and the one I had as a kid, and motivated me to start a couple more albums.

I think nickels will have enough time up ahead if the mint announces a metal change on them, that ordering boatloads at last call chance will be feasible. The bullion value of them are not the rave right now. They are easy to dump and have some more variety than just checking dimes or quarters. Checking/sorting cents and halves are the imperative thing to do if you have to make choices IMHO.

I guess a good rule of thumb is, yeah, keep the pre-1960 nickels. If they do not hold numi value prospect, you do at least have some nickel bullion.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins