Anyone still stacking Canadian .999 nickels?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Anyone still stacking Canadian .999 nickels?

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 am

I collect all I happen to find, but the percentages of pre-82 Ni are so low in Canada now, and the melt value, so low its not worth sorting for anymore. I traded a lot for coinroll hunted silver back in the 10 cent a coin days - melt for melt. Retain a few bags in the collection.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:22 pm

I still stack them. These at least have a decent intrinsic value plus I just like them in general. Probably helps, though, that I have a source at a LCS where I purchase them in quantity for 70 cents US per $1 face. The LCS owner purchases them from customers (usually selling entire collections) for 50 cents US per $1 face. LCS owner makes 20 cents per dollar face in the transactions and I leave happy. Pretty good arrangement and I've enjoyed it for several years.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 am

70 cents US per $1 face is a smokin' deal!!! You've got a winner there.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyPincher » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 pm

I still like to stack/buy pre-82 Canadian nickels.

I recently purchased a lot of 800 of them off eBay.

I used to live in Minnesota, and on trips north I found quite a few older nickels in rolls. I noticed that rural banks seem to be much better sources for old nickels than downtown Winnipeg.

I now live in Nevada, so my limited access to Canadian rolls has disappeared. If anybody is selling such coins on eBay, let me know!
PennyPincher

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 pm

PennyPincher wrote:I still like to stack/buy pre-82 Canadian nickels.

I recently purchased a lot of 800 of them off eBay.

I used to live in Minnesota, and on trips north I found quite a few older nickels in rolls. I noticed that rural banks seem to be much better sources for old nickels than downtown Winnipeg.

I now live in Nevada, so my limited access to Canadian rolls has disappeared. If anybody is selling such coins on eBay, let me know!

Hey PennyPincher, if you are near Las Vegas (or perhaps even Reno), there are probably lots of people who visit from Canada during the winter months. You might get some .999 Canadian nickels from coin dealers in your area, even though you are a long way from Canada.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:28 am

My bags $25 bags of pennies and $100 bags of pure Ni can just sit until they go above double face, and maybe sit some more. I still collect every pure Ni nickel I find, but rarely buy boxes to sort these days.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Previous

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins