How low would you go?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

How low would you go?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:26 pm

From an earlier post, I was stating that my nickel harvesting was going to stop soon. My 20 boxes moving average has now dropped to 6.5%, though I still want to reach the half million mark.

I am just curious on what is your tipping point? Would you go to 5%, 4% or 2%? Let's consider that you are in perfect conditions (no special trip to go pick-up or drop-off to a free coin counting machine)

Just wandering.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: How low would you go?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Devil is in the details depending on time and gas etc but I think 3% would be my cutoff point.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:41 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:From an earlier post, I was stating that my nickel harvesting was going to stop soon. My 20 boxes moving average has now dropped to 6.5%, though I still want to reach the half million mark.

I am just curious on what is your tipping point? Would you go to 5%, 4% or 2%? Let's consider that you are in perfect conditions (no special trip to go pick-up or drop-off to a free coin counting machine)

Just wandering.

Cheers,

When you say the average has dropped to 6.5%, I'm assuming that is the percentage of pre-82 non war Canadian nickels you expect to find. Now if you are including the ones that were only 25% nickel, that is a whole different matter altogether. Do you save the 25%ers at all and if so, do you keep them separate from the 99%ers? Plz. clarify.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:57 pm

I do remember that when I was looking for U.S. Silver halves (40% and 90%), that around 2005-2010, I'd find 1 of every 60-70 or so was silver. When it dropped over the next few years to 1 of 400 or even worse, I stopped going out of my way and really lost interest. Still I would occasionally ask for halves, but not like back in the day.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm

My copper cent have dropped to 7%. Seriously thinking of stopping, two boxes of brand new tipped the scale.

But I think it is like gambling, this one might be the jackpot!
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: When you say the average has dropped to 6.5%, I'm assuming that is the percentage of pre-82 non war Canadian nickels you expect to find. Now if you are including the ones that were only 25% nickel, that is a whole different matter altogether. Do you save the 25%ers at all and if so, do you keep them separate from the 99%ers? Plz. clarify.

Exact, the 6.5% represents the average for .999 nickel only, that I find in each box. The cupro-nickel ones are not included nor the steel ones from the war years.

I do not keep the 25%. Maybe I should from a metal perspective as the cupro-nickel combination is a very useful alloy in the industry.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:27 pm

if you used a Ryedale you would get higher payout for your time. If you want you could use mine.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks Joe, very generous of you.

I did some projections, and at this rate, my average will be around the 5% mark, by the time I reach my hunting goal of 250 boxes.

Actually the bigger payouts could be in the errors and oddities. I found a 1996 attached, as opposed to the near and far varieties, I also found some 1990 small and large bare belly, lots of extended lines etc...
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:53 am

Franklin asked are the bank tellers nice and good looking and do tey have a cooke day.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:50 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Franklin asked are the bank tellers nice and good looking and do tey have a cooke day.

Most are older ladies, but from time to time a young one comes along.....

In Québec, banking is quite old fashion, with nothing fancy in the lobby. The most you'll get is a coffee at the main branch only.....
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:Franklin asked are the bank tellers nice and good looking and do tey have a cooke day.

Most are older ladies, but from time to time a young one comes along.....

In Québec, banking is quite old fashion, with nothing fancy in the lobby. The most you'll get is a coffee at the main branch only.....

Franklin two yeara ago with Oregon tellers.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins