Does anyone remove culls from their nickels?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Does anyone remove culls from their nickels?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30 pm

I know it is a little extra work, but I like to remove culls from my U.S. Nickels. This includes coins which are bent, holed, badly discolored, scratched severely, etc. The reason is because some day when I or my heirs sell the coins, the buyer might be a coin collector. And it might be easier to sell nickels that are not problem coins. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Also, if I find a really good date (I.e., 50-D), I will keep it even if it is a cull...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Does anyone remove culls from their nickels?

Postby cooyon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 am

I do the same...I figured that if I ever sell any boxes of searched nickels, I would not include any coins that I would not want to get if I was the buyer...I spend the US culls. I do have a small quantity of .999 Canadian culls, which I am keeping separate from my Ni stash.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:05 am

It really depends.. A 38 or 39.. (50d) I might keep it. For the most part I do the same. Over time I just roll and box up the 38-49 and 50-59.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 am

Yes, but since I harvest only the.999 (I am in Canada), I keep also the culled .999 seperate in 5lbs bags.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:10 pm

A peanut jar, quart size, with those nickels and abes so ugly that wouldn't pass a counter, or simply so ugly no right minded person would be willing to accept them in trade.

This jar was started with the thinking they could be melted, but in reality I have neither the ability, skills, nor inclination to do it.

For now they are slowly building.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm

I put aside all the culls, burned, acid stained, bent, holed, mangled nickels I come across. Frankly there is not that much... after of 470,000 nickels sorted, I might have close to 200 or so.

I also put also aside all the dirty and lightly damaged .999 nickels. I might have 600 of them so far.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 pm

I don't care for ugly looking coins! I only keep the nicer looking coins for my hoard/collection. The rejects just go back to the bank..... :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:01 pm

I pull the 'culls' in both pennies and nickels.. they get spent at the fast food drive ups.
cwgii

Postby Silver4face » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:53 am

BUMP! Spotting this thread for the very first time. I have pulled MANY culls over the years. For nickels, I obviously keep silver culls, buffalo culls and certainly .999 culls. However, I spend the older Jefferson culls although I would keep a 1950D or a 1939D if I ever found one. I like to circulate them. Post 1960 Jefferson culls get set aside so that I can roll them up and cash them in at banks that are not in my immediate area.
I do the same thing with zincolns, often cashing in 10-15 rolls at once. But copper culls are kept/sold - about 95 -97 percent of them. Once in a great while, I will actually spend a copper cull, one that is exceptionally bad!!!! To the point where identification is difficult. I probably spend about ten copper culls per year. As for wheat culls, I set them aside, and sell them for around 2 to 2.5x face. I sell them in small bags, ranging from 50 to 200 per bag. They sell rather quickly.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:04 pm

Silver4Face, glad you revived this old thread!

One thing I am curious about relative to .999 Canadian nickels…

I’ve heard many times how nickel is such a hard substance. I’ve also seen U.S. pennies and dimes on the ground that were badly scratched from being run over by cars.

How would a .999 Canadian (not U.S., since our nickels are only 25% nickel) nickel survive? I don’t have one separate from my stash that I can get to right now, but am curious if anyone wants to sacrifice a .999 Canadian for the big test.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:46 am

The culls that I get (which I refer to as crusty coins) mostly get used at self checkouts.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins