US Nickel Melt on Stephen Colbert

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

US Nickel Melt on Stephen Colbert

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:12 am

Stephen Corbert was interviewing an author talking about banks and how they are screwing up the economy. I really tuned in when the author started talking about some guy who figured out that the US nickel was worth 7 cents in melt value so he went to the bank and ordered 20 million nickels. The bank said that they would have to call him back. Than the Federal reserve called and asked why he wanted the nickels - he said he liked nickels. They bantered about how you even ship that many nickels and mentioned a brinks delivery.

This should attract some attention to nickel hoarding. I don't know who the story is about or if it is true but there are a lot of people who recognize that inflation has made the US nickel worth more in metal value than face and that a bunch of us plan to benefit from that in time.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: US Nickel Melt on Stephen Colbert

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 am

It's getting too easy to poke a finger at the soft underbelly of the dollar with the ongoing debasement of U.S currency.
Crazy when a jester may have more power then elected representatives to put things in context and raise a issue.
TPTB might put a collar on him if he keeps it up.But its only a joke,right?
Sadly it is becoming in vogue to wish the dollar is squashed.
It would take $5 copper and $20 nickel to push melt to 2x face for the nickel.Which isn't far off at current pace.IMHO.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 am

PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the link PP.

The guy should join realcent. username: 20MillNicks
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Corsair » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Thanks for the link PP.

Otherwise known as "Ponce."
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Thanks for the link PP.

For this guy, I would gladly relinquish my handle.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Wonder what happened to Ponce? He never migrated over to the new RC. If I recall correctly he left the old RC a bit before the switch.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:57 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:

Wonder what happened to Ponce? He never migrated over to the new RC. If I recall correctly he left the old RC a bit before the switch.

Right. He had a falling out. I don't remember the exact details, but something really upset him, and he left, never to return. I miss the old Godfather.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 pm

PennyPauper wrote:http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/372964/february-01-2011/michael-lewis

Can't see the Comedy Central inked videos in Canada so I did not try to find it. Thanks for posting it. I was zoning out when this came on so I missed the first bit. I'm unclear if the story was a joke or a real story or what.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm

PennyPauper wrote:It's getting too easy to poke a finger at the soft underbelly of the dollar with the ongoing debasement of U.S currency.
Crazy when a jester may have more power then elected representatives to put things in context and raise a issue.
TPTB might put a collar on him if he keeps it up.But its only a joke,right?
Sadly it is becoming in vogue to wish the dollar is squashed.
It would take $5 copper and $20 nickel to push melt to 2x face for the nickel.Which isn't far off at current pace.IMHO.

Nickel has been higher than that I think. Canadian Nickels were worth well over 2X at one point.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasTT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:30 pm

In 2007 they hit $27/pound.

$5 face of Canadian 1981's and earlier had a melt of over 5x face.

The lead up to that is what made me realize that these coins are the exact same thing as junk silver and a great opportunity was at hand.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 am

Wasn't it Ardent that ordered those nickels? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby west77 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 am

fasTT wrote:In 2007 they hit $27/pound.

$5 face of Canadian 1981's and earlier had a melt of over 5x face.

The lead up to that is what made me realize that these coins are the exact same thing as junk silver and a great opportunity was at hand.

I think you just told my story. I noticed at around $15 a pound, watched it peak and proceed to slide. Now we are slowly getting back to where I first noticed it... I think I may have found a never ending source of loose nickels to buy at face from a place that wraps their own coin, but pays to deposit it in the bank... I think that I can "purchase" them @ face then wrap and deposit the post '81 coins. First I might need to find a place to sell the sorted coin as I almost feel that I have enough $$ tied up in nickel.
west77

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Sorry for the very delayed response... This was almost certainly hedge fund guy Kyle Bass out of Dallas who ordered the million dollars in face value of nickels. My rough calculation is that the nickels weighed about 210,000 lbs. Read up on Bass when you get a chance- interesting guy who made a killing when real estate cratered.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins