Am I missing something?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Am I missing something?

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Is the price for this bar a result of a bidding war is there some kind of rarity I don't know about. On eBay these ussually fetch between $8 and $9 with shipping adding another 5 to 6 dollars. What do you see.
http://www.k-bid.com/auction/3960/item/61?offset=61
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Am I missing something?

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm

I agree that this is a ridiculous price. You could have someone bidding it up for one of several reasons:

1) maybe they've never seen a copper bar before and think all copper bars are rare.
2) maybe they are working on some kind of bar set and need the year 2012; or
3) or maybe they need a bar with the Morgan dollar image stamped on it.

I don't claim to be an expert on copper bars, but I don't see anything legitimately valuable here.

And sometimes you just run into a rich person with money to burn that isn't used to losing who takes the price to a ridiculous level.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins