canadian nickel coins

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

canadian nickel coins

Postby knibloe » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:25 pm

With the Canadian Government recovering the older nickel coins, will the remaining ordinary quarters, dimes and nickels every have numismatic value?

ie are they worth saving?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: canadian nickel coins

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:45 am

Hello there,

I will venture an answer: NO

These coins, even if pulled from circulation, were made by the millions, so there will always be enough to satisfy the relativeley small number of coin collectors, You will not see numismatic value from circulated coinage in your lifetime.

What you will see is bullion value or value for other purposes. For example, decorative (penny floors etc..) from the 1 cent piece and bullion value from the nickel. The bullion value of the dimes and quarter is unlikely.

Only the very low mintage years might see an increase in price.

Hope this helps.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I already keep the nickels and pennies. Won't bother with the dimes or quarters.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Oh yeah...

DO keep the 1969 dimes and 1973 quarters. Those have a variety that is quite expensive. 12,000$ for the large date 1969 dimes and 120$ for the 1973 quarter large bust.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:08 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:Oh yeah...

DO keep the 1969 dimes and 1973 quarters. Those have a variety that is quite expensive. 12,000$ for the large date 1969 dimes and 120$ for the 1973 quarter large bust.

Cheers,

Good to know
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:21 am

mtalbot_ca wrote:Oh yeah...

Cheers,

I knew about that quarter but DANG....did not know that about that dime!

THANKS
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:03 pm

I keep all the CA copper and nickel I find and pull out of circulation. Didn't know about either the dime or quarter.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 pm

I have no way of knowing with certainty, but let me put it this way. U.S. dimes and quarters have been devoid of silver since 1965. I've never heard of anyone melting the clad ones down. And it has been 51 years.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby ZenOps » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 pm

I doubt it. Coins from 1968 to 1999 were minted in the tens to hundreds of millions per coin type, which for Canada is a lot.

But if you look at it from the world perspective: There are 3 Billion more people on earth now, since I was born (at right around the time they pulled silver from circulation) But it does not seem to have affected the ability of the world to produce more (IE: The spot price of a ton of wheat at $170 has been stagnant for decades) There is no question there is not enough nickel coinage for everyone in the world, only first world nations can afford to use it for their higher denomination coins like loonie, toonie, one and two Euro coins. The exception of course, is the US that still has a 25% cupronickel five cent piece, and the Swiss Franc.

There is that quote that if everyone in the US wanted two ounces of silver coinage, the worlds supply would dry up. Well, you could arguably say that with 3 Billion more people on the planet since the great melt, if everyone wanted two ounces of nickel - it would probably not be an easy task either.

Personally I think the US got spoiled by proximity to Sudbury nickel mine, and Russians to a certain extent also got spoiled by proximity to Norilsk. The vast majority of the rest of the world uses paper or relies on a now digital tally system.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Does the government recover the CuNi as well? I've got about $1000 in CDN CuNi stacked...and am wondering whether to keep on stacking it alongside the 99% Ni.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Yes the RCM contractors short out CuNi nickels, dimes and quarters as well as US coins. I regularly see wrapped rolls devode of anything but plated steel. I don't believe the Alloy Recovery Program will make these coins scarce though. There are enough collector mint sets to fully satisfy any forseeable collector demand.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:53 pm

I went to my LCS today for the first time in a while, and I was happy to find more than 10 FV in Canadian .999 Ni nickels, plus some canadian copper pennies too! :thumbup:

I will keep adding to my Ni pile whenever I get the chance. I was surprised to actually find that many nickels today!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm

ZenOps wrote:I doubt it. Coins from 1968 to 1999 were minted in the tens to hundreds of millions per coin type, which for Canada is a lot.

But if you look at it from the world perspective: There are 3 Billion more people on earth now, since I was born (at right around the time they pulled silver from circulation) But it does not seem to have affected the ability of the world to produce more (IE: The spot price of a ton of wheat at $170 has been stagnant for decades) There is no question there is not enough nickel coinage for everyone in the world, only first world nations can afford to use it for their higher denomination coins like loonie, toonie, one and two Euro coins. The exception of course, is the US that still has a 25% cupronickel five cent piece, and the Swiss Franc.

There is that quote that if everyone in the US wanted two ounces of silver coinage, the worlds supply would dry up. Well, you could arguably say that with 3 Billion more people on the planet since the great melt, if everyone wanted two ounces of nickel - it would probably not be an easy task either.

Personally I think the US got spoiled by proximity to Sudbury nickel mine, and Russians to a certain extent also got spoiled by proximity to Norilsk. The vast majority of the rest of the world uses paper or relies on a now digital tally system.

Well, I'm glad that I have more than MY 2 ounces of Nickel and Silver coinage! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:I went to my LCS today for the first time in a while, and I was happy to find more than 10 FV in Canadian .999 Ni nickels, plus some canadian copper pennies too! :thumbup:

I will keep adding to my Ni pile whenever I get the chance. I was surprised to actually find that many nickels today!

What did they charge for the .999 nickels?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
SilverDragon72 wrote:I went to my LCS today for the first time in a while, and I was happy to find more than 10 FV in Canadian .999 Ni nickels, plus some canadian copper pennies too! :thumbup:

Just face value! I think they buy foreign stuff at 1/2 face value.....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 26, 2017 12:59 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:

Just face value! I think they buy foreign stuff at 1/2 face value.....

Sounds like a win-win proposition!

Recyclersteve

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I managed to find another 30 FV the other day! I must've have hit the Ni jackpot or something like that..... :thumbup:

Hopefully, one day these will be worth something ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins