U.S. Nickels.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: U.S. Nickels.

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:00 pm

doug444 wrote:Here's a chart I'd like to see -- the price changes for industrial metals, percentage-wise, over the past 5 years; all in one chart, aluminum, copper, zinc, nickel, chromium, iron. I couldn't find such a chart with Google, but I quit after 10 minutes. Now add the price of oil (WTI) in a different color, and see if oil prices are a good predictor of copper (and other) prices.

Even if oil's price was a good predictor relative to copper over the past five years, what about the last one, three, ten and twenty years? By assuming that something that worked once will always work, you will suffer the perils of those who use small sample sizes.

It is just like some stock enthusiast who touts something like a high volume breakout being significant and shows you a chart of a stock that legitimately doubled after a high volume breakout. I find myself thinking, "Ok, so it worked for that one stock, but I'd like to see an exhaustive study of at least several hundred."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby doug444 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm

I will amend my previous post to include a desire to see similar charts for umm, 1, 3, 10, and 20 years. Problem solved. But there is scant connection between stock charts and tabulated historical (commodity) prices. Such prices are generally not event-driven, they are trend-driven. On a buyout offer, a stock can triple overnight; you don't see this with goods like (for instance) metals, chemicals, and grains. A typhoon passing across Burma, Thailand, and Vietnam might cause a spike in the price of bulk rice, but the marketplace reacts in a logical fashion, flooding the affected areas with product, and the spike has a high decay rate. Some recent exceptions to this theory might be coffee, tungsten, and tantalum.
doug444

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 pm

doug444 wrote:Here's a chart I'd like to see -- the price changes for industrial metals, percentage-wise, over the past 5 years; all in one chart, aluminum, copper, zinc, nickel, chromium, iron. I couldn't find such a chart with Google, but I quit after 10 minutes. Now add the price of oil (WTI) in a different color, and see if oil prices are a good predictor of copper (and other) prices.

you might be better off looking at ratios charts such as the gold/silver ratio. There at several mentioned at various times on different threads here but you might search "ratio" and see what comes up. Just a suggestion if you are looking for entry and sell points for different markets.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Your wish is (sort of) my command! This is as close as I could get:

http://www.usfunds.com/interactive/the- ... urns-2016/

Shaz
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Nice chart! Thanks :thumbup:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins