How Do I Sell .999 Canadian Nickels to...

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

How Do I Sell .999 Canadian Nickels to...

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:45 am

How do I sell .999 Canadian nickels to someone like a steel mill? Don't worry, I'm not selling now and not likely for many years. But I'm just curious if there is a company (perhaps like Nucor or a refiner) that buys .999 nickel for their business? I'm specifically trying to find backup buyers in case it is tough to get a fair price from a dealer when the time comes.
By the way, I live in the U.S. and not near the border.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How Do I Sell .999 Canadian Nickels to...

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:32 am

You'd need a LOT to interest a steel mill. I'd think selling as bullion privately or on ebay is your best bet. You might find some small operator that wants it to cast stuff with. Maybe sell to element collectors or someome that makes element samples.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 pm

Another potential is smaller shops that do nickel plating.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 pm

JadeDragon wrote:You'd need a LOT to interest a steel mill. I'd think selling as bullion privately or on ebay is your best bet. You might find some small operator that wants it to cast stuff with. Maybe sell to element collectors or someome that makes element samples.

I'm curious how many pounds you consider to be enough to interest a steel mill...

Thanks to both who replied so promptly.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I'm curious how many pounds you consider to be enough to interest a steel mill...

Probably talking railroad car amounts but I am just guessing. US steel production in 2014 was 88 million metric tons. China produced 10 times that amount.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins