pure silver Nickel

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

pure silver Nickel

Postby spacecase0 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:52 am

so I was doing a cashier job at a local store
some guy found a 1963 Nickel I gave him as change,
was very happy that he got a pure silver Nickel...
I tried to tell him that Nickels were made of nickel and copper, or at least not silver,
but he told me that was only the new ones...
nothing I said would convince him

seems like that guy is the ideal market for older Nickels
just makes me wonder what the market for older coins will be like in the future
and I still can't stop laughing about it all even though it has been a few weeks
spacecase0

Re: pure silver Nickel

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:33 am

The only silver ones are the war nickels from the 1942-45, and they are only 35% pure. He probably learned that pre-1964 coinage was silver, but just does not know about purity or that nickels are different. It is always a bit funny dealing with someone who really "knows" something that is totally false.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: pure silver Nickel

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:09 pm

I actually bought a roll of "silver nickels" on eBay once. Picture only had the outside of the roll but the description said that these were old nickels composed of silver. Received a roll of circulated 50's-early 60's nickels that looked like they were pulled out of change. Emailed the seller with a WTF. He apologized and said that he was told that all pre-65 coins were silver. He accepted the return.
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins