Cashing in US common coins in Canada

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Cashing in US common coins in Canada

Postby Coincash » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Where do we cash in American coins in Canada, will banks take rolled US coins ?????
Coincash

Re: Cashing in US common coins in Canada

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello, (I am from Québec)

I never had any problem depositing rolled US coins in Canada but as part of other canadian coins. Canada has always treated coinage (US and Canadian) to be domestic coins. So banks and credit unions, will accept your rolls, but you will not get any exchange rate other than 1:1.

Coinstars also accept US coins at par....but with a hefty admin charge, you are better to deposit rolls.

Hope this helps.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Spend them if you are going there for vacation. I was there this past summer and vendors are happy to accept U.S. coins and currency. Any bank there will generally accept them.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby wolvesdad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Coincash wrote:Where do we cash in American coins in Canada, will banks take rolled US coins ?????

Where are you located and what's your quantity?

I am in Detroit and if the quantity made it worth it Could meetup or possibly cross into Canada to work a deal.

Better to lose 10% than 30%.
Or contact member: pitw
He is in Canada but either visits USA or has family from USA visit him, so he might be able to help if the quantity made it worth his while.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I pay my kids one CDN nickel for every US Nickel they sort out of my CuNi hoard. It's a way of paying them an allowance, and at the same time separating the US Nickels, which I also hoard in the eventuality of a currency collapse. It's illegal to leave the US with more than $2.00 in coins. So having them already outside is quite advantageous. If there is a currency crisis, US nickels will survive it because of their composition. They will become 5 cents worth of the new replacement currency, where the paper will not be honoured.

And then you can take it into the US and spend it any time.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm

It's illegal to leave the US with more than $2.00 in coins.

Not sure where you got that information. The ban only applies to 1 cent and 5 cent coins, and is $5 not $2.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/2 ... usat_x.htm

Travelers may legally carry up to $5 in 1- and 5-cent coins out of the USA or ship $100 of the coins abroad "for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes."
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm

If you have enough to make worthwile shipping to BC, I'll take them to the US where I can deposit them. Allthe US coin I find goes in a jar for use or deposit in the US.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins