Just Curious.....who Stacks other Foreign Nickel?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Just Curious.....who Stacks other Foreign Nickel?

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:39 am

I seem to go through lots of foreign coins and pull all of .999 nickel coins.

Not sure how many lbs. I have at the moment but it hurts my back to move them cleaning the office.

So 2 questions for you guys.

1.....do you stack these? (not just Canuck nickel)

2.....are you a possible buyer/trader?
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Just Curious.....who Stacks other Foreign Nickel?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:47 pm

I have stacked a lot of French nickel - not really looking for more. But always interested in hearing what people have. Also have a smattering of other misc types (dutch etc) but small amounts and mostly by accident.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:54 pm

If I came across it easily I'd stack it. If it were a good price I'd buy it. Am I cheap? yes.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm

I do have French and Dutch nickel and also some misc. others (So. Africa, Ecuador- I think and perhaps a few others). No huge quantities and I'd rather source locally where I get a good price (or won't buy it) and don't have to pay shipping. Occasionally, when I travel I pick up some .999, but the vast majority of my nickel holdings are Canadian .999.

I am cashing in my U.S. Nickels and have turned in around $1,300 in the past week. These took up too much space, are cupronickel, and never have had big time spikes like pure nickel had several years ago.

I can't imagine it being worth the time and hassle for me to want to box these foreign coins up and ship them somewhere- unless someone wants to offer me 50 cents each plus freight. I think that sound I hear is crickets!

Also, if I did do something, I'd be more likely to do a trade.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

I would stack them, but there are none around my part of the world.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 am

I have a small stash of French Francs...I haven't added anything new to it.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:34 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Took another $400 in U.S. Nickels to the bank. So that makes $1,700 in the past week or so. At least they let me take the contents of the cup that has the junk in it. I usually get some foreign and mutilated stuff in there.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby marine70 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:36 am

I save any nickel coin I get Canadian, French etc. I was a molder in the US Navy my job was to pour ferrous and non-ferrous metals. If we poured steel which was not very often the last ingredient was nickel. The nickel was very crude in looks and hardness. You could take a chisel and hammer and hardly put a dent in nickel in its original form. When melting the steel the nickel is always the last metal to melt. I bought a couple of pieces home, I wish I could find them, not to sell just to appreciate the metal.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 am

I pick it up when I see it.... mostly on here.... but I do not actively look for it
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am

I figure they only cost me 5 cents so I save any I find. I doubt I have even stacked a roll of non-Canadian nickels though.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat May 20, 2017 1:07 am

I suppose I could pull out Ni coins from my international coin collection, but I'm not going to set aside an interesting coin I've got one of just for it's nickel content. I can't buy international coins for 5 cents like I can Canadian nickels (which I need to sort of course) so to me most interational coins are worth more as international than bullion. If I had a great source for nickel french francs or whatever where the coins are worth more then I pay for them, I'm all over it.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 pm

All told there has probably been over a ton of French 999 nickel pass through my hands over the years - I am a happy seller when the price is right. Hasn't been made since 1999 and most was turned in before 2001, but plenty of Americans were tourists to France back in the day hence there's still a decent quantity floating around stateside. Dutch has far lower mintage and same story on most being redeemed - it doesnt carry much or any premium over French at the moment but I could see BU pieces and/or key dates eventually being worth something.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sanford02 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:All told there has probably been over a ton of French 999 nickel pass through my hands over the years - I am a happy seller when the price is right. Hasn't been made since 1999 and most was turned in before 2001, but plenty of Americans were tourists to France back in the day hence there's still a decent quantity floating around stateside. Dutch has far lower mintage and same story on most being redeemed - it doesnt carry much or any premium over French at the moment but I could see BU pieces and/or key dates eventually being worth something.

Ok, I have been wondering about this. Over the years I have acquired, little by little, a decent amount of French and Dutch nickel. I have never had trouble sourcing it in small amounts from the LCS or in larger amounts online. I have to assume that I am not the only guy in the world who can routinely and easily find obsolete Dutch and French nickel coins. I am curious about how and why this stuff is so available. Why didn't it get redeemed? Overall, just in the U.S., there must be A LOT of wasted money in unredeemed Francs and Guilders.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 am

Because how would an american with a few coins redeem them?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sanford02 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:28 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Because how would an american with a few coins redeem them?

Well, there are currency exchange options, but I see your point. Even so, if redeeming them when they had value was too much hassle, then why/how are they showing up with such quantity and regularity that I have accumulated thousands online and from the LCS with little effort? The same people who didn't bother to redeem them when they had value are now selling them for pennies at the LCS?
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:56 am

Currency exchanges typically take currency only, not coins. They will pay you with currency and coins, but they won't (usually) take coins from you.

Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Nickels are of little interest.

For a really good deal I might take some, just a little, not more than a pound or two.

Right now most of my funds are going to the local college. There is very little for stacking.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Making up another small flat box.

Anybody interested?

French + Dutch or separate.

Have many other .999 foreign nickel stacked up as well.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby oktyabyr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 am

I am interested, but it’s low on my list. Probably would like to get some to to have it, but would have to find a good deal on it to jump on it.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 pm

oktyabyr wrote:I am interested, but it’s low on my list. Probably would like to get some to to have it, but would have to find a good deal on it to jump on it.

I listed a "starter" box on tonight's KSA auction.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby MikeJ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 am

I have stacked some pounds of Canadian. French, and Dutch. Just as a hobby, not expecting these to do much.
Silver is a different story.
MikeJ
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 am

i get a home delivery every 3 months of about 100 lbs. of pre 1980 Canadian nickels, unsorted. nothing every newer than the 1980's, the only thing i have to sort out is the wartime steel which makes up about 1/3 of the weight, (the war time steelies are usually in amazing near uncirculated condition, no rust). I pay $500.00 after every shipment arrives...... always heavy on George V's & George VI's, and proof/proof-likes from the 1960's. For the past couple of years I have been just putting the bags straight in to the hoard. I dont even sort them anymore. Nickel is too low for me to bother. Even the numismatics inside dont thrill me enough to put aside my day job to sit and sort, so the just sit and collect dust, and one day if nickel creeps back up to being high again, it be worth it for me to starting sorting and sselling the nickel again here on the site. I can also get french and dutch Ni for the same price of $5.00/lb. but it doesnt turn me on, because it would only be worth the metal value, there is ZERO numismatic value on that stuff. At least with the Canadian stuff, a bunch is worth quite a bit more than the scrap metal value, and that is where I make the big money when I sort it out.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:35 am

frugi wrote:At least with the Canadian stuff, a bunch is worth quite a bit more than the scrap metal value, and that is where I make the big money when I sort it out.

I got a 1925 Canadian nickel this way, buried in with a bunch of .999. It is perhaps VF or maybe XF.

Recyclersteve

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins