Unexpected benefit of nickel hoarding

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Unexpected benefit of nickel hoarding

Postby slumba » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Just wanted to point out that while you never want to cash in nickels for spot value, I have found that nickels in $100 bricks serve as emergency cash reserves quite excellently in addition to the upside of their metal value.

They are immediately liquid, yet enough of a hassle to cash in that you never really cash it in unless you absolutely positively have to!
slumba

Re: Unexpected benefit of nickel hoarding

Postby Pachucko » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm

10-4.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm

I like how they are a nice round $100
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 pm

That sounds good. I'm a pretty small time sorter and hoarder, so I haven't bought a whole box of nickels yet. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. I might have to take the plunge!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:45 am

Take the plunge! Its a nice break from sorting pennies,helps to prevent burnout till you get a ryedale.You will almost always find a warnick or buff.Plus its better to have some silver color showing in your dumps than pure zinc. Plus its a good exersize to see how far you have gotten with your tellers,may have to bring extra chocolates.Just remember to smile and have fun!
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 am

I agree, it is a nice break from pennies. I have been very lucky with the nickels. I have been finding the key dates lately. Gave most of them to my son inlaw though.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 pm

I should be HoardNickelByTheTon. I love nickels, so many great finds there...especially when you're "lucky" like me.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:54 am

Every few months I buy a couple boxes of nickels and just store them in my shed. Hand sorting pennies is much more theraputic for me. If I have a liquidity crisis I will sort and cash them, but hopefully they will just sit there until the debase the nickel. I figure if I hold them for years I can always sell them as unsearched nickel boxes from before the great disaster. I daydream that in 30 years I will be opening up a box, giving myself a big thrill sorting them. I am already planning how my retirement entertainment will be building my wealth. 8-)
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Yes, cashing in your nickels makes you think twice. If anyone reading this is having a very hard time financially then I suggest he or she at least try to stock away some nickels each week or two. Yes, it's not silver, but then you know that you have a fixed amount of dollars on hand and the hope that their metal value will go up in the future.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Nickels are great for a stash.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby commoncents » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Conventional advise is to have enough cash at home to cover bills for a while if the banks are closed and the ATMs don't work or run out. A nickel hoard qualifies as cash.
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Another benefit is to stack the boxes of nickels up against the walls of your bunker for added bullet/blast protection! :lol:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:47 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Another benefit is to stack the boxes of nickels up against the walls of your bunker for added bullet/blast protection! :lol:

Yep, just like sandbags without the sand...and worth a whole lot more.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby robert73 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Agreed. I try to put a brick of nickels every paycheck and put them in a closet, both as an investment and as a means of savings. Cash seems to burn a hole in my pocket (and bank acct), so the closet full of nickels is assure that I don't spend every last penny I make.
robert73

Postby didou » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:17 am

It's the most resilient money you can have! Whatever happen you have some wealth safe.

In a deflation scenario (unlikely) the fiat money will get destroy by massive bankruptcy and create a shortage of money big enough to increase the value of paper money even against metal, the metal price will seem to sank in dollar. The big winner in this scenario will be the people holding paper money. If it happen you can cash your nickels/copper at face value if you need money in a emergency or wait a few years for the situation to get restore and cash them for their metal value. I think both copper and nickels will work in that situation, junk silver will still be too expensive to turn it to bank for paper money even in a emergency deflation situation. I know many people will hate me for that, as they love their copper penny and nickels and will never turn them at the bank for face, i love my penny too. But it may not make sense, at this point if it happen, to keep them for their metal value and they may worth a lot more in term of purchasing power in paper money than in metal value temporarily. At this point turning 1.0 copper pounds in penny at the bank may buy 1.1+ copper pounds like it was years ago when it was still wise to make penny out of copper.

In a hyperinflation scenario paper money will worth virtually zero, that is the most likely scenario that everyone preparing for. Metal price will goes up.

In these dangerous and uncertain time ahead, saving some metal that are heavy and hard to use (unlike a credit card) and that have a dual value metal/paper money is the best thing to do imo.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:06 am

Roadrunner wrote:I should be HoardNickelByTheTon. I love nickels, so many great finds there...especially when you're "lucky" like me.

I hate nickels. They always take me the longest to sort. And I am always several hundred $ behind on my nickel sorting. I hardly ever find any silver.. yet I continue to take them every time the tellers offer them to me. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:36 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:I should be HoardNickelByTheTon. I love nickels, so many great finds there...especially when you're "lucky" like me.

I hate nickels. They always take me the longest to sort. And I am always several hundred $ behind on my nickel sorting. I hardly ever find any silver.. yet I continue to take them every time the tellers offer them to me. :mrgreen:

I love them because I get so many interesting things: lots of pre-60, silver, foreign stuff, tokens, buffalo, and i've even gotten a '96 V nick. I guess location is the key. :geek:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mooski » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

I have found that you can fit $80 in rolled nickels into a penny box.

And I have a lot of penny boxes, so it's just another use for the dang things...
Mooski
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins