Which Canadian banks sell nickel boxes to non-account holder

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Which Canadian banks sell nickel boxes to non-account holder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:41 pm

I have a friend going to Montreal in a few weeks. I asked and she said I can give her my paper Canadian money and Loonies and Toonies for her to try and exchange at banks up there for nickel boxes. Which banks in Montreal will sell a walk-in customer a box of nickels without requiring them to have an account? I have an account with TD Bank but that won't help her up there unless she pushes the point maybe with them? LOL. Anyway, worse case is she spends the money and I cut her a deal of sort where she gets the money at discount near the official rate. I am sure she could spend the money. She is traveling with a few family members and will be driving for 3 days around Montreal. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: My friend has a BOA account. From some internet searching, Scotiabank has some affiliation with Bank of America. Maybe Scotiabank should be the first place she goes to?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Which Canadian banks sell nickel boxes to non-account ho

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Beware...the nickel boxes contain only around 3% of .999 nickels.

Each branch is different, but I doubt that they will give more than 1-2 boxes each.

I am only 250km from Mtl...near Québec city....I do have a lot of nickels....

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Which Canadian banks (LONG)

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 pm

What a Seinfeld episode of sorts trying to get friends to help you with coin dumping!

My friends went up to Montreal last week. They struck out trying to buy Canadian nickel boxes because they did not have an account with the bank. Not sure if they just tried one branch of Scotia Bank or another bank or two. They do not do coin collecting so they do not know that maybe another branch might be less inquisitive. Possibly, I think they might of actually tried to exchange the Canadian money for US money at the bank and maybe that is why they were turned away, but I did not get that far with them on the phone. They were on vacation and doing me a favor with these coins. They did mention a bizarre thing to me. They were told in Montreal, at a grocery store I believe, that the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US dollar. This is where I almost had an argument over the phone with them. The husband, let's call him Tom, insisted that a Loonie could buy $1.20 in US dollars. They were at the grocery store and when they brought their groceries up to the cashier, the price on the groceries went from a $17.XX price tag to $23.XX if they paid in Canadian money. I did not press them on this, but he told me this was because of the exchange rate. I am clueless at this point, but I think somebody in Montreal lied to them about exchange rates. Tom did not really make it clear anyway because at this point I could hear him getting annoyed slightly with me when I told him the US dollar was stronger than the Canadian dollar. I see his wife on Thursday when she will return to me the coins I gave them to dump. I really don't believe she will get that it takes about 1.26 Canadian dollars to buy 1 US dollar and that means that the US dollar is stronger versus par value. I am shaking my head on this. I guess I am glad they brought the coins back at least.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Which Canadian banks sell nickel boxes to non-account ho

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Maybe the person who told them the Canadian dollar was stronger was dyslexic. That is more common than many people realize. I do remember once about 10-12 years ago when in fact the Canadian dollar briefly was stronger than the U.S. dollar, but it didn't last long.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins