Is there anything worth sorting in Canada?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Is there anything worth sorting in Canada?

Postby biglouddrunk » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:58 am

I have a reason to go to Canada in about a month. Is there anything there worth sorting? Is there any 999 nickel left or has the alloy recovery program pulled it all out? Also am I to assume banks no longer have pennies given it's been 5 years.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Is there anything worth sorting in Canada?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:41 am

Hi there,

You never know what you are going to find....but statistically you should get around the 5% mark for the .999 ones. In each box you will find 1x2000P (worth 25 cents if in good condition), 1-2 x below 1960, 2x 1961-1962 octogonal (pre-62 are worth 10 cents each) and then its pure luck on the 1967 rabbit (25 cents), 1990 (large bare belly) (1-2 dollars), 1991 (1-2 dollars), 1996 attached 6 (30 dollars),

You will not find any GeorgeV, 1948s or 1964 xtra waterline.

Upcoming varieties include any spitting queen die break, 1994 33-tours variety, and 2017 beaver variety.

If you are in the Québec area give me a shout!!!
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:19 am

No, not going to Quebec. Thanks for the info I will try to pickup a box for fun. Funny thing is I can get almost those percentages from american boxes here in michigan. lol
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:13 pm

You might try getting some Canadian coins (25 cents, $1 and $2) at your local coin shop at a discount. Then you can take them across the border and spend them in Canada. Worked great for me last summer. You should be able to get $1 in Canadian for about 70 cents or so U.S., significantly lower than the current exchange rate of .7880 posted on xe.com.

Don't have them in rolls until you actually cross the border, however. You don't want to have to roll them twice.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:32 am

I don't sort coins anymore in Canada. There are no pennies. Ni Nickels are rare and old ones are almost never found. There is no silver in circulation. You would think there would be American coins to pull but they seem to get sucked out by the coin processors in Vancouver. If the roll is machine wrapped there is no point opening it. Handwrapped rolls have almost no US coins too, so maybe other people keep a US coin jar for cross border shopping like I do.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Changechecker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:39 pm

In Western NY, hours from the Falls I used to roll search and I could count on several hundred dollars worth of Canadian coins annually. I would spend them on my cross border visits. Last fall I unloaded a bag full in one shop. They couldn't get enough change.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 am

Jade? Is that you? Holy cow.... Welcome back.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:02 am

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Silver4face » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:46 pm

I am curious. Are the Canadian members still sorting anything? If so, what denomination (s)
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:09 am

I’m curious about that too. Also, I’m wondering if coin dealers in Canada are struggling since there isn’t much to find in change anymore.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:08 pm

No real sorting. Although the 2 dollar-mule recently discovered on the 1999 PL Set might rekindle the passion...See: https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-pr ... -1996-2003

All mules in Canada listed here: http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/article ... coins.html
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins