Value of pre-1982 Canadian nickels ???

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Value of pre-1982 Canadian nickels ???

Postby PennyPincher » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 pm

I see that the price of nickel is now about $7 per pound. Give the pre-1982 Canadian nickels are 99.9% pure nickel and they weigh 1/100th of a pound, their theoretical melt value is 7¢ while their Canadian currency value is about 4¢ (USD).

However, what are these coins actually worth in the market place?

How much would you pay for such coins?

I've noticed that these pure nickel coins sell on eBay occasionally, often above 10¢ each, even in larger batches, especially if they're older King George varieties.

Also, I happen to live in the Las Vegas area if anybody is interested in selling some to me at a reasonable price.
PennyPincher

Re: Value of pre-1982 Canadian nickels ???

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 pm

I'll get you started. Check out http://portlandmint.com/products.php. It looks like freight for a 66 pound box is $16.00.

You might want to verify their price to see if it is still the same. Some people might be raising prices since nickel is up sharply in the past year or so.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:19 am

They do not move fast....(the nickels). Just sold 50lbs for 590$ (CA) + shipping.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm selling 60 lbs groups for 565 + $12 and 10 lbs for 95 + 6.85, so basically 9 cents. they move slow but ~1300 lbs have sold over time. I'm guessing a true market-clearing price would probably be more like spot to 8 cents.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361389481200

On the industrial side of things there isn't really any raw nickel supply shortage on the horizon, but the price is low by recent historical standards.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:56 pm

If anyone here wants to sell them to me, I'll give you face value for them... as many as you have.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:If anyone here wants to sell them to me, I'll give you face value for them... as many as you have.

Where are you located?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:52 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:If anyone here wants to sell them to me, I'll give you face value for them... as many as you have.

Where are you located?

Looks like Massachusetts to me.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:

Where are you located?

Looks like Massachusetts to me.

Hummm, where is "Stockridge" on the map? And not the road.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 pm

I think it is a typo and that Stockridge should say Stockbridge. Stockbridge is in the far western part of Massachusetts, the opposite end of the state from where Boston is.

Recyclersteve

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins