nickels worth keeping

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

nickels worth keeping

Postby knibloe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm

For some reason, I cannot seem to remember which nickels are worth keeping. I have several bags that have been sitting in my garage for 5=6 years and need to clear them out.

War nicks,
buffalo nicks
some of the westward journeys?
others?

Thanks
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: nickels worth keeping

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 pm

TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 am

thank you !!
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:06 am

Some people save anything pre 1960. I know of someone who pays 7 cents for pre-'60 nickels, but the problem is that shipping costs too much for most people to sell the nickels for that price.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 am

Mint mark moved to front in 1968 so you could keep 1967 and back the only problem is all the 1964's :lol:
hobo finds

Postby knibloe » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:38 pm

I quickly checked one of the bags. I did not date sort. just looked at them quick ( canadian, dark discolored, bright and shiney). and listened for odd sounding ones.

Canadian:
14-99% nickel
1-25% nickel

1 war nic.
several from the 40's.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:55 am

All of them.

IMO, they'll be removed from circulation within 10 years time. Pennies, even sooner than that.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:All of them.

IMO, they'll be removed from circulation within 10 years time. Pennies, even sooner than that.

Do you mean nickels or Canadian coins?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:17 pm

He means all US nickels. Canada and Australia killed the penny years ago. The Euro cent hardly circulates from what I've seen.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:All of them.

Like pre-1983 copper cents, it's a no brainer.

Read...

https://codyshirk.com/this-investment-costs-five-cents-with-no-downside-risk/
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:53 pm

Thought I'd share this comment courtesy of the tour guide at the U.S. (Denver) mint. This was from my tour taken on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019.

He basically said: "We lose money on all pennies and nickels we make. Yet we more than make up for it by selling statehood quarters at a premium." So he didn't sound like he believed the pennies or nickels would be discontinued anytime soon.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:01 am

I read recently that all nickels are 75% copper and 25% zinc, and weigh 5g. Based on that, I'm of the mind to keep ALL of them.

The article also said zinc is used in the manufaturing of stainless steel. I think I'm going to start hoarding my nickels.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel. The melt value on a nickel is currently 5.5 cents. I save them all.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stas3000 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Good to know re: melt value with current pricing of nickel and copper. Do common date/variety nickels with average wear go for more than face value if sold in large quantities?
Last edited by stas3000 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:28 pm

I wouldnt think so, you can buy all you want at the bank for 5 cents each.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 pm

I have my fill of nickels. A few boxes are worth keeping. Copper cents are 95% pure and have their place.

Silver takes a lot less space for the same value.

TXSTARFIRE wrote:I wouldn't think so, you can buy all you want at the bank for 5 cents each.

One or two rolls are easy enough to get. A box or more is getting very difficult. If you are serious about nickels, you may wish to start soon.

Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/ ... 3/text/enr

Does this line end cents and nickels, "No coin or medal minted and issued under this Act, or an amendment made by this Act, may be sold at a price such that would result in a net cost to the Federal Government." :(
Last edited by coppernickel on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 pm

thecrazyone wrote:Based on that, I'm of the mind to keep ALL of them.

Ardent Listener was the most vocal proponent for nickels on this forum. Yes, it is still valid.

Ardent Listener wrote:Yes, cashing in your nickels makes you think twice. If anyone reading this is having a very hard time financially then I suggest he or she at least try to stock away some nickels each week or two. Yes, it's not silver, but then you know that you have a fixed amount of dollars on hand and the hope that their metal value will go up in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=402&p=4013#p4013
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 pm

If you can get them without paying too much, I prefer .999 Canadian nickels. I like the idea of something that is pure nickel instead of 25%.

Pro tip: Look at the foreign coin box at your local dealer or flea market and see what you can find. Sometimes there are
quite a few Canadians in there. The box might say they cost 10-15 cents each. This should be highly negotiable as dealers might pay $1-1.50/lb. for the coins.

You will need to be patient about accumulating a large quantity of Canadians.

Recyclersteve

Postby slvrbck » Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 pm

I have kept every single nickel that has come through my hands since 2009. Haven’t bought boxes for several years but still pick up a few rolls every now and again. Sort them for pre 60’s, wars, Canadians. All the others go into buckets. Seems like a no brainer to me. Worst case scenario someone down the road has to deal with buckets of coins. I’d be ok with that. . .
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Good for you guys who are keeping every nickel you get. There really isn't any downside in this investment.

I've been doubling my nickel hoarding efforts lately.

I just discovered a few weeks ago that my credit union has no issues giving me $20-$30 in nickels every time I visit them. Try to do this once a week.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:39 pm

Hoarding at least $200-300 nickels a month now. Too many to count, I'm weighing them now.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:51 pm

Got $200 nickels sorted today. Found a 1945-S. I'm finding about 1 war nickel for every $200-300 nickels sorted.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:42 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Hoarding at least $200-300 nickels a month now. Too many to count, I'm weighing them now.

I've stepped my nickel hoarding even further. I've made several contacts with some very cooperative tellers and branch managers at my CU. Now I'm ordering 2 boxes of nickels a week, from multiple branches.

Hoard those nickels now before they're gone. :thumbup: 8-) :P
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:07 pm

My main bank told me I could get a box of pretty much anything (except halves) every week if I put in a standing order. I was thinking of stacking some sealed nickel boxes. Maybe get some Lincolns from another branch to hand search. It's winter, after all. 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Next

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins