Article: A Perfect Storm is Brewing for Nickel

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Article: A Perfect Storm is Brewing for Nickel

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:32 am

There is an article on Kitco called A Perfect Storm is Brewing for Nickel. It is by Michael Beck. Here is the link:

https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-06-02/A ... -Beck.html

Within the realm of numismatics, potential owners of/investors in nickel need to realize that U.S. nickels are only 25% nickel (with the exception of the war nickels that contained 35% silver). The best way to get pure (.999) nickel coins is to buy Canadian nickels made through 1981. There are a few exceptions from the 1940's and 1950's when alternate materials were used. Also .999 nickel coins can be found from out of circulation coins from France, the Netherlands and several other countries. Some of these you should be able to get fairly cheaply from the world coin tubs and buckets at coin dealers.

What does everyone think about nickel as an investment?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Article: A Perfect Storm is Brewing for Nickel

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Physical nickel is a long-term small-percentage investment adjunct for me. I am hoping it goes up 2x or 3x before my heirs have to dispose of the relatively small amount that I do have. I'm not counting on it as any key portion of my portfolio. I'm hoping I (or my heirs) can at least get back what I put into it, which doesn't make it much of an investment does it?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Re: Article: A Perfect Storm is Brewing for Nickel

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 am

Depends on the person of course, but if I was under water on my nickel investment and had only a small percentage of my net worth invested, I would certainly consider doubling down.

The only potentially major issue I see for some is that it takes a fair amount of space to store it. So somebody with a 1-bedroom apartment and no other good place to store it (like a parent's house), for instance, would have a hard time justifying an investment in physical nickel.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins