Nickel Close to a 5-Year High

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel Close to a 5-Year High

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:08 am

I’m seeing today (Tuesday Dec. 15th) that nickel has hit the $8 mark. This is close to a 5-year high. It might even be better than that as the charts for nickel on Kitcometals.com only appear to go back 5 years.

Does anyone have a 10 or 20-year chart?

P.S. I still love those Canadian .999 nickels. To any potential sellers, I have several good local sources at prices most people couldn’t touch. By the time you added freight, you wouldn’t likely be competitive.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Nickel Close to a 5-Year High

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:19 pm

Found this 10 year from 2000-2010
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:22 am

Thanks for that nice long-term chart. It is always nice to know that nickel, like silver, is not anywhere close to all-time highs.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:04 am

Does anyone know why nickel was so hight at the end of 2006?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:06 pm

IIRC...labor strikes and stainless steel demand was up...boy wouldn't be nice if the price was way the heck up there again....maybe soon.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:21 pm

Thanks!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:20 am

TXSTARFIRE wrote:Does anyone know why nickel was so hight at the end of 2006?

I believe that was when construction was really booming in China and nickel is used heavily with steel. China was building a lot of ghost cities. These were places that could accommodate a million or more residents where almost nobody lives.

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:08 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
TXSTARFIRE wrote:Does anyone know why nickel was so hight at the end of 2006?

I believe that was when construction was really booming in China and nickel is used heavily with steel. China was building a lot of ghost cities. These were places that could accommodate a million or more residents where almost nobody lives.

^^^ This
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 am

$0.0541606 is the melt value for the US nickel on February 10, 2021.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 pm

Couldn't hurt to have a few rolls tucked away for day to day transactions
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Too many rolls of pre 63.
cwgii

Postby Changechecker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:18 pm

cwgii wrote:Too many rolls of pre 63.

Thought we were talking about nickels not silver.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:23 pm

So then scrap stainless steel prices should be going up?
hobo finds

Postby Corsair » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Changechecker wrote:
cwgii wrote:Too many rolls of pre 63.

Thought we were talking about nickels not silver.

Okay, I'll bite. Hoping this isn't sarcasm.

Nickels pre-63 are considered to have some numismatic value over their intrinsic value. In 1962, about 400,000,000 nickels were minted. By 1964, that number grew to nearly three billion. The last year for silver coins, generally, was 1964. I suspect cwgii is saying he's stacked pre-63 nickels for potential numismatic value in addition to any intrinsic value they may also have.

Either way, nickel brushing against $8.50/lb is a beautiful sight to see.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 pm

No sarcasm. I used to save all the pre 64's and kept them as my emergency fund in lieu of paper. I was making light that he might have to many rolls of pre 1963 silver which IMO one can never have to much of that.
I'm glad nickel is rising. I have almost $100. of pure AU/BU Canadian nickels I would like to unload soon.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:00 pm

I check metal prices almost everyday and nickel is currently 8.39 lb and has good potential moving forward as demand will probably go up.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:30 am

Last Friday, Nickel checked in at 9.59 per pound. Highest we've seen since 2012, maybe even 2011. Took a big step down today (9.24), but still over 9
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:55 pm

I would have thought metals prices would have people on here more excited, but its been a long wait
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:23 am

Happy to see the price adjustments but it's hard to get excited when inflation is approaching near record levels. If the inflation continues (or accelerates) for a significant amount of time, few here will be getting rich off metals. Generally the metals will be doing what they are supposed to do - keep up with inflation (more or less) and protect wealth.

Some will figure out how to time markets and may "make" some money, but those will be the exception not the rule.

That's not to dissuade anyone from acquiring metals. Instead the above is the very reason to acquire them. Just hard to get excited about seeing dire predictions coming true. Being found on the right side of an issue isn't the same thing as being happy about it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:55 pm

$10.89 as I type this.

Get them now before TPTB remove them from circulation.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm

I believe that is now a 10-year high. Can someone confirm?

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:02 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I believe that is now a 10-year high. Can someone confirm?

You are correct, actually ten years and change (no pun intended). In the Summer of 2011, it got up to $11.22 a pound, but was down to approximately 9 by the end of the year. 2011 was my first year of pulling them. Wish I had started sooner.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am

Just curious what anyone would pay now for 100# or more of .999 Canadians...

Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:$10.89 as I type this.

Get them now before TPTB remove them from circulation.

Are you saying that the US Government would simply stop minting them? I'm not trying to sound smart in any way, just curious as to what could/might happen.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Usually the government tries to come up with a cheaper base metal. So the nickel would be made out of zinc or steel. Some would argue for the elimination of the denomination.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins