Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Postby Kurr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm

As soon as he finishes sorting "just one more box.... for research!"

:D
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Kurr wrote:As soon as he finishes sorting "just one more box.... for research!"

:D

Good one Kurr
TXBullion

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 am

Mr. Coppins says" The editors are still figuring out when it will be published. As soon as I know for sure, I'll let you know." This is when I contacted him last week.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:40 am

Mr. Coppins called me yesterday to inform me that the article will be the in May 2nd issue of newesweek! I will post the online link we I receive it.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 am

highroller4321 wrote:Mr. Coppins called me yesterday to inform me that the article will be the in May 2nd issue of newsweek! I will post the online link we I receive it.

The publishers usually put the magazines on the newstands before the date on the cover. It should already be out. Just checked online and nothing, but I did find this article about Cu.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/04/24/copper-is-king.html
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Mr. Coppins called me yesterday to inform me that the article will be the in May 2nd issue of newesweek! I will post the online link we I receive it.

It will be nice to see!
TXBullion

Postby Common Cents » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:nickel sorters are lazy. they dont' have to sort anything.

real men sort pennies. (lol)

What he said!
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:08 am

One of this forum's aims is to PROMOTE base metal coin investing and we want to develop markets. Newsweek is a perfectly good place for an article about base metal coins. For example, forum members developed the copper penny market on ebay and we are responsible for getting ebay to add a copper bullion category.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Corsair » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 am

JadeDragon wrote:One of this forum's aims is to PROMOTE base metal coin investing and we want to develop markets. Newsweek is a perfectly good place for an article about base metal coins. For example, forum members developed the copper penny market on ebay and we are responsible for getting ebay to add a copper bullion category.

Amen to that! I just wish the type of investment Mr. Coppins is covering was more financially intelligent.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Here's the long-awaited article. Comments?

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/05/01/brother-can-you-spare-a-nickel.html

Pretty disappointing. Secretive, eh? The info here is available for one and all.

What is the current readership of Newsweek now anyway?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon May 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Bit shorter than I expected but I guess that would be an editorial call. I think he gave the subject a good treatment for the amount of space he had to work with, and there's definitely no tone of derision in there that I can detect, contrary to some predictions. More interested people will add to the challenge of acquiring coins but it will also help the market develop.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Very well-written article. Although I'd sure love to be getting three times face for my copper pennies, even on fleabay!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 pm

I just don't appreciate the pejorative "hoarder". Some people buy as much stock of a target company as they can. Shares of any given particular company are limited, just like nickels. Is someone who tries to purchase a controlling interest in a company by "saving" the shares he buys, a hoarder?

Oh well, that's Newsweek I guess.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Mon May 02, 2011 2:02 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I just don't appreciate the pejorative "hoarder". Some people buy as much stock of a target company as they can. Shares of any given particular company are limited, just like nickels. Is someone who tries to purchase a controlling interest in a company by "saving" the shares he buys, a hoarder?

I wouldn't blame Newsweek for using the term "Hoarder." I believe one of our most prominent members has that word in his username. Also, I believe a few of our ranks achieved by posting use that term. Maybe we gave Newsweek the idea? Let's not shovel around the blame for something that isn't even important to the article.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Corsair wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:I just don't appreciate the pejorative "hoarder". Some people buy as much stock of a target company as they can. Shares of any given particular company are limited, just like nickels. Is someone who tries to purchase a controlling interest in a company by "saving" the shares he buys, a hoarder?

I wouldn't blame Newsweek for using the term "Hoarder." I believe one of our most prominent members has that word in his username. Also, I believe a few of our ranks achieved by posting use that term. Maybe we gave Newsweek the idea? Let's not shovel around the blame for something that isn't even important to the article.

Respectfully, agree to disagree. We can call ourselves that or any other name with which this group is comfortable. We can self-police if anyone gets out of line. Being called a secretive group of hoarders by a national news outlet does not cast us in a good light.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 pm

I would give this article an 8 or 8.5 out of 10.

It's a good length, concise so as not to bore the reader but long enough to get the basic facts. I think it does a fairly good job of explaining our reasons for hoarding, and unlike many spectators to this hobby, it doesn't paint us in a bad light.
As for the "hoarder" issue, I don't believe the term is pejorative. To me, it's a compliment! :lol:

Well done Mr. Coppins!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:23 pm

I would have liked the article to say a little more about copper pennies but overall it is a pretty good article.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby psi » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I suppose the "secretive" thing was probably mentioned largely because of comments in this thread in particular. It's about the closest to anything negative in there but it seems like a moderately diplomatic way of the referencing the apprehensions that some members expressed regarding the prospect of media attention.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:08 pm

HELL YEAH!!! I was Quoted in NEWSWEEK.....I gotta call the old man.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:HELL YEAH!!! I was Quoted in NEWSWEEK.....I gotta call the old man.

Oh yeah? - it went by so fast I missed it! Sorry. :)

Short article, a tease. It used all the buzzwords that I was afraid it would, but not bad overall. However, I was happy that I didn't give him the interview he asked for, not that I would have made the article. More for you all anyway.

It took him a lot of time and research, for very few words.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I would have liked the article to say a little more about copper pennies but overall it is a pretty good article.

23 YO......man Adam, your a pup. I had no idea.

Nice work for a 23 year old ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:I would have liked the article to say a little more about copper pennies but overall it is a pretty good article.

Have to say, if true, I'm glad to see some of the less senior people with the combination of drive, fire, and common sense. There are a few other of the younger group that show up here as well. Nice to know we've got some people of that age can think for themselves; (I see too many that can't).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:36 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

Have to say, if true, I'm glad to see some of the less senior people with the combination of drive, fire, and common sense. There are a few other of the younger group that show up here as well. Nice to know we've got some people of that age can think for themselves; (I see too many that can't).

Thank you to both of you! It's sad how many around my age group seem to be going nowhere in life. I have many people to thank for being able to get where I am at today. This forum is a core group that I respect and appreciate every day!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Mon May 02, 2011 5:47 pm

I thought the article was well written and accurate. It's obvious to me that neither Newsweek nor Mr. Coppins coined the phrase hoarder on their own. They very likely picked it up from here. I think the term is a bit inflammatory if taken the wrong way, but it's used freely here on Realcent so it was fair game to use in my opinion. My only skepticism and fear is that this could only make things harder on us to increase our holdings of nickels and pennies. The cat does have to come out of the bag at some point though, and for those that have been hoarding, eh hem, collecting, for years I can understand the enthusiasm for getting the word out. I just wish I had started sooner and my hoard, eh hem, collection, were larger.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Here is where my quote came from:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4041&p=36233&hilit=socks#p36233

Ha! I am a celebrity.......quick, someone give me Charlie Sheens cell #
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins