Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon May 02, 2011 6:31 pm

I also thought highroller was much older. I thought it must have been a typo. Good job
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Insidery internet forum goes mainstream! Well,almost.I think we kept him honest.The article was concise,and doesn't put us in a bad light.I've been called much worse than hoarder. :shock: I think we done good :lol:
I don't see why he would remember me. :?
Yes,myself and others were protective against the possible media biases,and didn't want a black eye.
Others took the opportunity to present their sides of the story,and obviously presented themselves,and all of us,in a positive way.Hats off to everyone who contacted the author to give their side of the story.
JadeDragon reminded us that this forum is here to promote base metal coin investing and he is 100% correct.
I would never be doing what I am today without this forum.I'd never be as far along without the help and advise I've found here.
But I had to do some digging before I found this place,I was already interested in coins,and CRH.So when I found this insidery place I respected what was discussed here.I fear many newcomers won't have the same respect and will cause trouble for some.
That is why I was protective,because this place is special,hoarders or not.
We all knew that someday the cat was going to get out of the bag and hit the main street to strut the truth.
I hope all the fame doesn't go to our heads and we forget what brought us here. :mrgreen:
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Roadrunner » Mon May 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Wow...I never would have guessed Adam is so young. :lol: :lol:

We have a lot in common, we're both young metals investors named Adam.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Roadrunner » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot when I was reading the article, I saw "Adam Youngs" and misread it as "Adam Young," (as in the 24-year-old artist ) and I was like, "Owl City owns Portland Mint???"

I guess Mr. Owl City has said before that he loves silver coins...makes you wonder... :mrgreen:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 pm

My daughter loves Owl City!
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am

Im not sure how secretive this group really is. We just happen to talk about things in a veiled way because of the nature of some of the things we are talking about. Keeping a large amount of valuables even hidden or in offsite locations can be a risky thing. all that means is people here are sane.....

Of course that is much better then if he had called the site paranoid, as some would of viewed us as.

That said I liked the article, I also wish they had mentioned copper pennies. kinda seems like it wasn't a full story in a way.... More interesting as well, because they are worth multiples of face already and the people doing it have the added task of sorting them out, and then getting rid of the zinc.

I thought it had a clever title.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Tue May 03, 2011 4:36 am

After four years of realcent I have just achieved "Penny Hoarding Member" status which I don't see as negative in any way. Of course "hoarders" are portrayed in the media as people who hang on to every last food wrapper or newspaper that crosses their door, which is not the same thing although there may be some similarities with people who stack away things of more value. Going along with the mainstream is no guarantee of real sanity either. Here, throw out everything that works but is "too old" and replace it with disposable crap from a faraway land, that's what's good for the economy right?
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am

Roadrunner wrote:Oh yeah, I almost forgot when I was reading the article, I saw "Adam Youngs" and misread it as "Adam Young," (as in the 24-year-old artist ) and I was like, "Owl City owns Portland Mint???"

I guess Mr. Owl City has said before that he loves silver coins...makes you wonder... :mrgreen:

Nope, not owl city :lol:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am

This is the latest update from Mr. Coppins:

Thanks Adam! I’m glad you liked it. It actually made it into the international edition of Newsweek, but for some reason not the domestic edition. Later this week, once Bin Laden news dies down, we’re going to promote it heavily on Newsweek’s sister site The Daily Beast. Hopefully you’ll get lots of new interest once we do that.

Best,
McKay
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby tn-dave » Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 pm

It might be interesting to see if there is a surge of new members or guests stopping in here because of this article...
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue May 03, 2011 7:09 pm

That would be an interesting stat to know. The increase in new members per month
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby motos » Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 pm

I think it was a well written article by someone who genuinely wanted to get to know the lifestyle. I especially liked this line:
"...pestering cashiers for specific change and sweet-talking bank tellers into selling them boxes from the back room."

While I don't pester cashiers I can definitely relate to "sweet" talking the tellers bit. Chocolate anyone?

I still can't tell how my age affects the tellers' willingness to hand over the goods though lol.(Being pretty young I usually get the "punk kid" approach).
An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's. - Will Rogers
motos
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Corsair » Thu May 05, 2011 2:50 pm

motos wrote:I think it was a well written article by someone who genuinely wanted to get to know the lifestyle. I especially liked this line:
"...pestering cashiers for specific change and sweet-talking bank tellers into selling them boxes from the back room."

While I don't pester cashiers I can definitely relate to "sweet" talking the tellers bit. Chocolate anyone?

I still can't tell how my age affects the tellers' willingness to hand over the goods though lol.(Being pretty young I usually get the "punk kid" approach).

I get the same thing. Started this coin madness before I was in high school, so now, even though I'm in college, I think the tellers treat me with kindness because of my age. Gotta use it while it lasts!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu May 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Interesting.......the article is published and the metals all take a huge dive off the cliffs.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:Interesting.......the article is published and the metals all take a huge dive off the cliffs.

Yep! McKay Coppins fault! ;)
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby lakehouse » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:Interesting.......the article is published and the metals all take a huge dive off the cliffs.

Just imagine if it would have been on the cover
lakehouse

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 am

I just checked The Daily Beast for the article on nickel, ahem, saving. It has not been posted there yet. I did a little Googling just to be sure and found nothing recent except for this article on prepping for the stink hitting the fan:
http://jutiagroup.com/20110417-keeping-capital-in-a-depression/

He's right about pennies but not about nickels.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coincrazy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:58 am

coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

So how many new members here joined because of this article?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Sweet, he mentioned me :) I'm Curtis Penner from Alberta :)
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon May 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think my basement closet is a safe place for my nickel hoard any more :(
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Don't know if it just makes me look bad, but I'll stand up.

I joined this site after reading this article. Kind of interesting to find it today.

I'm 20 years old, military, and everyone I work with thinks I'm crazy because I obtain boxes of nickels at the bank, hand-sort pennies, and have spent every penny I make in the last three years on silver and gold. I own two cars, both as old as I am, but they run. I have no debt, and never plan to with the exception of a small mortgage.

I had no idea there were other people doing this, and I think finding this site was amazing. I mean for starters, I got a ryedale now. I didn't even know they existed 3 weeks ago. I always feel discouraged when I look around and there's so many signs of things changing with the world right now for the worse but people just keep going along like it's nothing, and then they watch their retirement destroyed in a matter of hours, like in 08, because they don't know any better, and they didn't pay attention.

I gave up a long time ago on trying to help people financially. Maybe it's my age, but they listen and then they just continue as if I'd said nothing. All I can do is follow my gut instinct. Finding this site was wonderful. It motivated me again, because we're not crazy, just a bit outside of the norm. Because you have to actively pursue things like this, and most people just don't.

So, thank you. Sorry if this is a bit too personal.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Don't know if it just makes me look bad, but I'll stand up.

I joined this site after reading this article. Kind of interesting to find it today.

I'm 20 years old, military, and everyone I work with thinks I'm crazy because I obtain boxes of nickels at the bank, hand-sort pennies, and have spent every penny I make in the last three years on silver and gold. I own two cars, both as old as I am, but they run. I have no debt, and never plan to with the exception of a small mortgage.

I had no idea there were other people doing this, and I think finding this site was amazing. I mean for starters, I got a ryedale now. I didn't even know they existed 3 weeks ago. I always feel discouraged when I look around and there's so many signs of things changing with the world right now for the worse but people just keep going along like it's nothing, and then they watch their retirement destroyed in a matter of hours, like in 08, because they don't know any better, and they didn't pay attention.

I gave up a long time ago on trying to help people financially. Maybe it's my age, but they listen and then they just continue as if I'd said nothing. All I can do is follow my gut instinct. Finding this site was wonderful. It motivated me again, because we're not crazy, just a bit outside of the norm. Because you have to actively pursue things like this, and most people just don't.

So, thank you. Sorry if this is a bit too personal.

My question was not intended to make you look bad. I was just trying to see what, if any, impact, the article had. Your comments are just fine. Not too personal. Stay confident that you are on the right path.

Hey, I get over to the 410 & 151 area all the time..not that far from Lackland. If you ever want to do lunch, I would be honored to support a member of the armed services.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks. That would be awesome. Let's work something out soon. I'm on leave this week, but I'll let you know next weekend.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 30, 2011 11:10 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Thanks. That would be awesome. Let's work something out soon. I'm on leave this week, but I'll let you know next weekend.

Sure. Just send me a PM anytime. My noontime schedule is usually very flexible.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins