Cheap effective engraving tools for a newbie?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Cheap effective engraving tools for a newbie?

Postby Joogaler » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:51 pm

I noticed that atleast rodebaugh makes hobo nickels, and was wondering what would be a good starter tool to use for someone that has no experience engraving? Any suggestions?

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Re: Cheap effective engraving tools for a newbie?

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 pm

blackrabbit is the man you seek. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:00 pm

This is funny.

It's like a gold rush now.

Everyone in thier garage pounding away at their nickles.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:54 pm

It's true the gold rush is on! The market demands more nickels! It probably happened like this in the nineteen thirties too when the hobos started doing them. It's cool to continue a great American folk art tradition! Buy some cheap used gravers, a sharpening stone, and sharpening jig and have at it. However, people use all kinds of tools that can damage soft metals. Hobo nickels make good investments also. You just got to look for the deals. I bought a couple for 20 bucks each last year and sold them this year for over 100 bucks each! I like that profit margin!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks for the advice, i'll check out eBay and see what I can find.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:08 pm

blackrabbit wrote:It's true the gold rush is on! The market demands more nickels! It probably happened like this in the nineteen thirties too when the hobos started doing them. It's cool to continue a great American folk art tradition! Buy some cheap used gravers, a sharpening stone, and sharpening jig and have at it. However, people use all kinds of tools that can damage soft metals. Hobo nickels make good investments also. You just got to look for the deals. I bought a couple for 20 bucks each last year and sold them this year for over 100 bucks each! I like that profit margin!

Not only that, but sometimes you can gat a great deal on e-bay for your nickles. ;)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 pm

You can get fabulous deals on all kinds of cool old nickels especially when the sales are linked from realcent! :D Here is a chameleon I finished this morning and am selling on feebay right now!
Attachments
IMG_5218.jpg
IMG_5218.jpg (221.4 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:35 pm

blackrabbit wrote:You can get fabulous deals on all kinds of cool old nickels especially when the sales are linked from realcent! :D Here is a chameleon I finished this morning and am selling on feebay right now!

That's really cool, looks like you used a nail punch to do the little circles?

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 am

I used a beading tool, which is basically a nail with hole in the tip, to do the circles.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 am

BR give us a link to that auction.

BTW I think you are a better carver than you give yourself credit for.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 am

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Joogaler » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:42 am

I'm having trouble finding any cheap gravers, the only ones I can really find are a set of 6 on eBay for I think $36 is that a good deal?

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:07 am

i bought a generic dremil at harbour freight for about 8 dollars works great and came w/ about 50 diffrent bits
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 am

I used to read this when I was thinking about learning engraving for firearm enhancement:

http://www.engravingforum.com/

Awsome site.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins