Obtaining circulated nickels.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Obtaining circulated nickels.

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone has tried purchasing nickels from Coinage Distribution Inc. I have been having alot of trouble lately with pickinging up boxes of nickels from banks. They have all been through the ARP (Alloy Recovery Program). I am able to get pennies that at first glance appear to be from the ARP but upon closer inspection from Coinage Distribution Inc. and I have been getting pretty good percentages when I get these boxes. I havent seen their nickels yet though and was wondering if anyone has. I would like to know if their nickels are not sorted as well. They are based in Vancouver but have a few other locations. Im going to call them and see how I could order from them and what the price may be.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Obtaining circulated nickels.

Postby didou » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 pm

I never try that something like that, but i would like to know what results you have if you try. All my boxes seem to come from GARDA COIN-MTL only here (both 1cents and 5cents). I supposed they are the one getting their coins and sending coins to/from ARP.

I can't get boxes from bank, they all are from ARP, i quickly stop asking for boxes. I get a fews rolls here and there but i can't get nickels in large amount to sort. It just seem impossible to do in my area.

About 50% of the pennies box i get from bank are machine rolled very similar to the ARP roll, i get good percent in all my pennies boxes but the machine rolled one are the only one i can find 2cents euro in them, no others differences.

I also can find 5cents euro (copper color) in ARP 5cents boxes, not in hand made roll. Only these foreign seem to slip through the sorter they have. Everything else is useless 2000-2010 5cents.

From what i know ARP doesn't sort and remove copper penny from circulation at all. I think they are planning on remove every penny from the circulation and don't plan on sorting them.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins