"hoarders will be able to acquire only an estimated $34"

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

"hoarders will be able to acquire only an estimated $34"

Postby camtender » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm

"Underlying the anxiety is a stark statistic: if just 10 percent of the American population catches on, hoarders will be able to acquire only an estimated $34 (face value) worth of nickels before every last one has been removed from circulation."

Can this statement from the Newsweek article be substantiated?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Re: "hoarders will be able to acquire only an estimated $34"

Postby adagirl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Newsweek with a circulation of about 10 people? Good thing I buy one brick per week. I love trading my worthless paper FRN for real money. On the surface this "stat" does not make sense. It would require everyone to flood the banks almost at the same time, put orders in, etc. It might be time to consider buying some bricks at your bank. There is zero lose with lots to gain. The worst that could happen is you get your original investment back if you need to trade the nickels in for worthless toilet paper. Hoard now, hold on.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby sparechange » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 pm

I think it would be hard to get 10% of Americans to do anything in unison. I have someone's $34 several times over so Maybe 9.999999%? :)
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:36 am

Coppins made sure it could be verified. We discussed this together. He took the total mintage and divided it by 10% of the population.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 am

Still, it is a highly unlikely -- approaching 100% unlikely -- outcome because if, say, 5% of the US population began to stock up, it would make the nightly news, generating a buying frenzy, and then the supply would be gone before the full 10% of the population could load up on their $34. So all in all, a pretty worthless statistic. Or, as my professor of that subject said on the first day of class, "Welcome to Sadistics."

47% of all statistics are made up.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 am

shinnosuke wrote:47% of all statistics are made up.

Are you sure it's 47%? Bbecause once word gets out that statistics are being made up, then everyone will be doing it and pretty soon they will all be made up...! Oh, wait, that's already happening!! ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 am

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:Coppins made sure it could be verified. We discussed this together. He took the total mintage and divided it by 10% of the population.
That works out to 68 nickels per person. That seems pretty marginal. Not arguing numbers, just surprised it does not create shortages.

10% hoarding sounds a bit high. 10% might like to hoard or actually try to find them to hoard, but I agree that the nickels would vanish quickly, IMO long before 5% actually got more than a roll.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 am

68Camaro wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:47% of all statistics are made up.

Are you sure it's 47%? Bbecause once word gets out that statistics are being made up, then everyone will be doing it and pretty soon they will all be made up...! Oh, wait, that's already happening!! ;)
I nominate Camero for the "smart adze of the day" award.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Mossy wrote:I nominate Camero for the "smart adze of the day" award.

I resemble that remark... ;)

(BTW, back when I started in on ebay buying back in 99 and was workin on the Camaro (with an "a"), I used to really score some good parts cheap by searching for parts postings made under "Camero", which is/was a common typo. Got some great parts for next to nothing! :D )
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby adagirl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 pm

I have had too many stats classes at the undergrad and grad level. But I remember my undergrad professor saying "garbage in, garbage out." Essentially, the Newsweek article is garbage. I do recommend that you hoard what you can afford on regularly scheduled basis.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Statistics also assume a lack of intellegent direction. That is not the case here.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppertone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Numbers don't lie, people do.

Statistics are a wonderdful and powerful tool IF they are used correctly, calculated correctly and interpreted correctly.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:25 pm

coppertone wrote:Numbers don't lie, people do.

Amen dude! :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm

A friend and I were discussing a related issue the other day over a cold one. We were musing the changeover from the the standard nickel composition of today versus what will likely happen within the next couple of years.

Our thought is that by 2012, the US Mint will be following Canada with the plated steel planchets. It could be that these 5 cent coins could already be in the minting and stockpiling mode. These coins would continue to bear the 2012 date for the next ten years (when small denomination coinage would be completely phased out). Wouldn't be the first time that a date freeze has been instituted by a major country's mint.

It's been widely accepted that the Royal Canadian Mint has been responsible for pulling its own high nickel content coinage out of circulation. Same with the copper cents. The market would be flooded with the new steel fivers and everyone would be competing with the Mint to hoard the old ones. Ultimately, of course, the Mint will be the winner. That'll be a sad day indeed...but, it's inevitable. The vending industry may squawk, but who really uses cents or nickels in a vending machine these days. With the general acceptance of credit cards and one dollar bills by these machines, it's pointless to consider their wishes.

Also with the $34 face by 10% of the population, does that also account for those lost or otherwise vanish from circulation each year?

How many million people with continue to call these steel fivers a "nickel" even though it'll only be plated? My guess is most everyone.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:22 am

Zero chance of a date freeze. The mint makes a good deal of profit by selling collector sets.
barrytrot

Postby biglouddrunk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 pm

If 10% of americans got $34 that would be able 17 trillion total nickels. The number seems reasonable, I'm not going to spend time adding up the total mintages.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Yea but I think we all know there isn't, what? 30 million people going to horde nickels? 3 million even? no.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby creshka46 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Nickel Mintage 1938-2010: 52.9 bil (wikipedia)
Current US Pop: 311 mil

52900/31.1= 1700 nickels = $85/person

$34 seems about right then. But I agree, it's a meaningless statistic.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:08 pm

30 million people going to horde nickels? 3 million even?

Yessiree.

Just give it time. In the early-mid 1960's people started catching on to the fact that the melt value exceeded the face value and began hoarding. By 1970 the vast majority of the pre-66 circulating coinage was gone.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:53 pm

I agree. It could happen, but it will happen over the course of time. Nickels will not suddenly evaporate like the Newsweek article implies when it states "underlying the anxiety is a stark statistic...." I recommend that the RC hoarders just buy and hoard what you can using a disciplined approach. I buy one brick of nickels per week. :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:54 am

I'm curious, because though this happened with silver, for obvious reasons it didn't happen with copper because it wasn't worth most people's time to sort it out. What was the melt value of a copper penny back in 1982 though?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Good question
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:59 pm

It happened, is happening, but more slowly - 1) because of the lower differential for most of that time, and 2) because when the price differential got high enough to seriously interest people, they banned melting, stifling all but the more "radical" of us.
68Camaro

Postby John_doe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:48 am

shinnosuke wrote:Still, it is a highly unlikely -- approaching 100% unlikely -- outcome because if, say, 5% of the US population began to stock up, it would make the nightly news, generating a buying frenzy, and then the supply would be gone before the full 10% of the population could load up on their $34. So all in all, a pretty worthless statistic. Or, as my professor of that subject said on the first day of class, "Welcome to Sadistics."

47% of all statistics are made up.

does this statistic fall with that 47%?

:mrgreen:
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 am

I should really start saving more nickels than I do. Problem is I like to spend all my $ on copper cents.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins