1st Liberty V found, and I dont sort!

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

1st Liberty V found, and I dont sort!

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Found a liberty V. Was at a pastry store and saw something on top of the register. I asked if I could trade a nickel for her nickel. She asked if its valuable, I told her maybe more than a nickel to a collector. She just gave it to me, it was an 1885. Not sure what these are worth as I have only one or two but from random coin lots. Kind of cool and wanted to share with you guys.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1st Liberty V found, and I dont sort!

Postby TXTim » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm

1885????
Better look that baby up in the red book or recheck the date.

Big bux $$$$$$$
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:25 pm

If it a 1885 you go back and really thank her. It's worth 400 plus
dakota1955

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Wow a key date that is pretty sweet

http://www.libertynickels.org/dateinfo.php?name=1885
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Well I m glad I made a post about it, thanks for chiming in. Its a little worn and dirty. Does anyone have an idea of what this might grade.

TXBullion

Postby TXTim » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 pm

That's a $350 - $400 nickel.
Low grade but that date is hard to argue with!
Thanks for the pic.
Congrats!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Key date coins are great to have. There are always buyers for them in nearly all grades. Unfortunately, you don't have the $1000+ kind, but the date is all that you really need. Do not send it to be graded. It looks to be damaged (obverse pitting) and well worn. However, please do put it in a protective flip, and label it as a Key Date coin. A local coin dealer can help you with this. (And I'm sure he would like to hear the story, too) Store it with valuables and make sure that it will never be carelessly handled. You don't want someone close to you to accidentally trade it for 5 crusty zincolns ;)

Congrats on the win!
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Key date coins are great to have. There are always buyers for them in nearly all grades. Unfortunately, you don't have the $1000+ kind, but the date is all that you really need. Do not send it to be graded. It looks to be damaged (obverse pitting) and well worn. However, please do put it in a protective flip, and label it as a Key Date coin. A local coin dealer can help you with this. (And I'm sure he would like to hear the story, too) Store it with valuables and make sure that it will never be carelessly handled. You don't want someone close to you to accidentally trade it for 5 crusty zincolns ;)

Congrats on the win!

Thank you, my fiance jokingly said to write "expensive" on the flip after I told her that we might have something valuable. Thanks guys, I am very happy on it. Just so hard not to snoop at cash registers peeking on , around , and in them!
TXBullion

Postby misteroman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Wow that is awesome and the best was you didn't know how rare it was!
misteroman

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:47 pm

misteroman wrote:Wow that is awesome and the best was you didn't know how rare it was!

Ive seen them selling on ebay for a buck or two. I never knew that series, I mean if it was an 09 s vdb, I would have probably :o but was definatley caught off guard. I really appreciate everyones knowledge here and though I was just sharing a cool small find. Really great day. Ill probably hold on to it just for the story and great memory rather than sell it. Now I feel guilty she didnt even take my offer of a nickel :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:57 pm

The 1909-S VDB was in the penny part of the cash register drawer. You just forgot to ask for it. It was hidden right below that 1992 zincoln.. that's why you didn't see it. One wonders what other nice coins might have been in the handful of change someone spent there.. that were just lurking in that cash drawer waiting for someone that might truly appreciate them. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins