Motherlode of War Nickels from bank

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Motherlode of War Nickels from bank

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Today I went into a bank and as I was doing a couple of transactions, a teller gave the teller I was with $20 in nickels. Normally I don't deal with nickels, but my eye caught the brown wrapper and "1943P" scrawled on the side in the rubber banned group of coins. I leaned over abit and noticed the telltale mint marks over Monticello on some rolls, and the tarnished look on others. I inquired about buying the rolls, and the teller let me grab them. I thought about asking further, but I decided against it given I was on a time crunch and needed to get back to work. I did go back and inquire about buying more rolls after work, but the teller said they were out of nickels all around and wouldn't get a shipment from another nearby bank until tomorrow (serves me right for going in 30 minutes before they closed).

Back home, I looked at the rolls. At first, I thought this was mostly a machine wrapped lot, but upon further inspection, i noticed some of them were poorly rerolled. I think this could've been a lot of coins from some guys hoard or collection and maybe turned in by the family.

Anyway, I went thru the lot, and save for 4 nickels, the the lot was full of war nickels. I'm meticulously going thru the 1943P roll to see if I can find the 1943/2P error, and I recovered 15 more 1943P nickels from the other rolls.

Even if the 1943/2P hunt is fruitless, I got $755 in silver for a $20 investment!!

edited: bah, my math skillz suck.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Motherlode of War Nickels from bank

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm

it will be a long time for a story like that again
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dano » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:12 pm

How many 1943-D's did you get? Also, if the check the 4 "non-war nickels", if they are non-mintmarked 1944's they could be Hennings counterfeits.

Very cool find! Congrats!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:28 pm

This is a first for RC. Nice score.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Nice score!
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Beautiful story! Congrats on the awesome find!!!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Wow, congrats on a super score!!!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 pm

#1 war nickel find Methinks.
fb101

Postby Robarons » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Nice find

This requires the customary go back and buy out their pennies, dime and quarters.

Carry some extra rolls of each if they say they cannot give you any until the next big shipment so you can swap out the good ones with your if need be
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Wow ....!!!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coinwolf » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Wowser! Nice Score, thats the kind of stories that make us all keep searching and hunting!
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Bully!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Wow! You should post this in Countrys tracking thread! Congrats!
hobo finds

Postby John_doe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:23 pm

talk about a lucky day. 8-)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Dano wrote:How many 1943-D's did you get?

Why?

Also, if the check the 4 "non-war nickels", if they are non-mintmarked 1944's they could be Hennings counterfeits.

Oddly enough, they were the Westward series nickels. Sorta reinforces my theory that heirs dumped someone's coin collection to the bank.

Robarons wrote:This requires the customary go back and buy out their pennies, dime and quarters.

I couldn't handle such a load.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Awesome score!! WTG!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Very nice - congrats.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Wow! You make me want to go check out the bank and credit union tomorrow. Thanks for the motivation!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 pm

I've often wondered if anyone has ever found a load of War nicks... guess there's the end to that riddle. Congrats! I know the fealing of finding a GOOD score like that! You NEVER think it will happen to you... then... your heart starts to beat fast... you think you may have something BIG... then... BAM! It just happend to you!

Kinda makes whatever bad happend during the week seem... distant. A real blessing from the Lord if you ask me!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm

I was wondering what my wife did with those nickels I had sitting on the shelf in my office.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Way to go!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby hejira11 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Damn. That is like hiting the lottery. Good for you!
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dano » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 am

cesariojpn wrote:
Dano wrote:How many 1943-D's did you get?

Why?

Also, if the check the 4 "non-war nickels", if they are non-mintmarked 1944's they could be Hennings counterfeits.

Oddly enough, they were the Westward series nickels. Sorta reinforces my theory that heirs dumped someone's coin collection to the bank.

Robarons wrote:This requires the customary go back and buy out their pennies, dime and quarters.

I couldn't handle such a load.

1943-D is the "rare" or lowest mintage in the war nickel series. nice condition ones can bring a small premium.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 am

Great story. Thanks for posting. These great finds keep me motivated to keep on searchin'
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 am

ayup beats my $16 of wars i got last month
cwgii

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals