Thrift Store Score!!! Finally!! Updated...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Thrift Store Score!!! Finally!! Updated...

Postby jtlee321 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:16 pm

So I had to work this morning. I am a photographer. I was taking pictures of a local little league organization. We had a break while the opening ceremonies were conducted. So I told by coworker why don't you go first on your break and I'll watch the equipment. He got back and it was my turn to go. I had remembered seeing a little Thrift shop not to far from our shoot location. I walked in the door and first thing I did was check out the glass cases. I did not see anything right away. I finally spotted a nice looking necklace in a box. I asked to see it since the price tag was turned away and I could not see how much it was. She handed it to me and I saw it was marked $30.00. I looked at the clasp and could just make out Italy 925. Nope it's gold plated sterling. :( Well these guys know what they have so there probably won't be anything else in here. I almost walked out the door. But my gut told me to take a look around anyway. I walked through the electronics and took a look. Nothing. So I turned down the next isle and there was the flatware and serving sets. I started browsing through all of it. I came across a small goblet. It was among several identical one's. So I took a look at it and turned it over.. No Way!!! Sterling!!! stamped on the bottom of it!!! I flipped it back over to check the price.. $4.98 So I grabbed all of the rest of them a total of 7 in all. I went and grabbed a hand basket to carry them in. I walked back over to the same isle and looked at the rest of the items. I picked up a small dish and flipped it over... Sterling!!! I could not believe it.. The price tag was again marked $4.98 So I picked up the larger dish that the smaller one had been nested in. I turned it over and looked for a mark... Sterling!!! Holy Crap is all I could think.. I looked at the price tag on it and it was marked $4.98. I searched the rest of the store except the flatware bin. I need to go back and check it. I did not have time to go through it, since I had to get back to work. So the rest of the time that I was working I could only think about the silver sitting in my car that I just paid $44.82 for. I finally got home and could not get the scale out fast enough. I checked one of the goblets first. I had estimated about 20 grams. My estimate was waaaay offff.. It weighed in at 50 grams. I had a smile from ear to ear. I put the small dish on the scale and it weighed in at 77.5 grams and the larger dish weighed in at 150.5 grams!! For a total of 578 grams of sterling silver!! 17.19 Troy ounces of silver for $44.82!!! I am still in disbelief. I have been looking at Thrift stores for a couple of years now and never came across anything that was sterling. Only silver plated. Well that is my story for the day.. Thanks for reading. :mrgreen:

I went back to that thrift store this evening. I picked up a candy dish with a handle. It was not marked at all. I figured maybe it had been worn away from all the cleaning. I got it home and it turns out that it is silver plated brass. :( . But the trip back was worth it. Because in the process of purchasing the candy dish I found out that Veterans get a 20% discount! So I mentioned that I had served in the Air Force and the clerk told me that if I bring in my receipt from earlier I could get the discount on the previous purchase. Luckily I still had the receipt in the car and I got $9.00 back on the earlier transaction!! :mrgreen: I also found out when they get new items in. So I will be back on those days..

Here are the pics as promised..

Last edited by jtlee321 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Re: Thrift Store Score!!! Finally!!

Postby woodyh » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 pm

nice score :D
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby BlackOut » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow great score. I have thought about hitting thrift stores, just haven't taken the time. Might have to make time after reading this.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:36 pm

I never had that kind of luck
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Bully!

Keep your eyes out for anything that could resell. It's fun and exciting.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby jtlee321 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Thogey wrote:Bully!

Keep your eyes out for anything that could resell. It's fun and exciting.

That is the thing I need to learn. Is what to keep an eye out for. I would like to get into the resell business to help with supplemental income..

I am going back tonight to check out the flatware bins.. I'll keep you posted..
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Look for Flint Steel.

Check out completed e-bay sales and you will see what I mean.

Heavy iron cook ware made in the USA.

I hit some garage sales last week and scored some really good stuff. I'll ling to it after my lazy ass post the sales.

I'll make hundreds of dollars on a few bucks invested.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Re: Thrift Store Score!!! Finally!! Updated...

Postby Saabman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Right on!!! Nice score!!! WTG!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 am

That's awesome! I've been hitting the thrift stores after work, and haven't found anything yet. But I'm always hoping to hit a score like yours.

What else do you look for? I'm only looking for silver myself.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:22 am

Nice man! I love thrift stores around here, but I've yet to find anything even close to that!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jtlee321 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:45 pm

SilverEye wrote:That's awesome! I've been hitting the thrift stores after work, and haven't found anything yet. But I'm always hoping to hit a score like yours.

What else do you look for? I'm only looking for silver myself.

Mostly I look for silver. But I do look at the electronics. I have come across some high end amplifiers that I can easily flip. I have been an audio geek for a while and have gotten to know a number of the high end brands. I want to expand my knowledge into other areas as well though...
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Thogey wrote:Look for Flint Steel.

I hit some garage sales last week and scored some really good stuff. I'll ling to it after my lazy ass post the sales.

Eric, trying to look some of this up since I'm clueless and interested. What exactly is "flint steel".

Scott
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 pm

ScottyTX wrote:
Thogey wrote:Look for Flint Steel.

Eric, trying to look some of this up since I'm clueless and interested. What exactly is "flint steel".

Scott

Flint Arrowhead Steel spatulas and spoons and knives.

The square slotted spatulas sell for 20-40 bucks. I recently bought a Flint serving spoon for .25 and sold it for $15 on the bay.

Big heavy cookware: I bought a ebelskiver mund pan. (an old ass pan) at a flea market and sold it on e-bay for $35.

I've got a few things I paid less than a dollar for on the bay now. I have plastic totes full of sh*t that will make me a nice profit. Look at my listings. I paid pennies on the dollar.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Also,
Look for old pictures of 1930-50s of male atheletes, sailors and soldiers. Lists them as 'gay interest' on e-bay.

They sell for hundreds of dollars.

I have tried it yet, but a local reseller recently told me about it. Check it out, wierd but true.
Thogey

Postby tractorman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Thogey wrote:Also,
Look for old pictures of 1930-50s of male atheletes, sailors and soldiers. Lists them as 'gay interest' on e-bay.

I have tried it yet, but a local reseller recently told me about it. Check it out, wierd but true.

:lol: :lol: Thanks, but ... no thanks.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Eric, don't show your wife this post... just don't :shock:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Ahh, I'm cursing at you now :) The wife walks over to the computer as peeks over my shoulder..... " Whatcha looking at dear." Nude pictures of men from closed lots on Ebay of course. Ummm ummm ummm thanks Thogey!!!

Scott
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 pm

WHAT??? That is truly crazy but hell, I'll keep an eye out for 'em. If theres a few bucks to be made, I'm game!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:58 am

Priceless!! You mean like this? Check out the size of this guy's pole. :o
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:10 pm

hobo finds

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Sterling Silver. Looks nice! Maybe I should be looking at thrift stores as well....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jtlee321 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 pm

I just picked up a nice vintage Wagner Ware Cast Iron Skillet at the Good Will. I checked the bay and it looks like they average between $20.00 and $30.00. Thanks for the heads up on the Cast Iron Thogey!!!
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm looking for Griswold cast iron if anybody finds it at a reasonable price.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 am

The cast iron I found was Wagner Ware Sidney -O- 8K with a heat ring around the bottom. I have not been able to find anything online to date it. Although I know it is old. It sits perfectly flat and has just a touch of rust. I bought it for $7.99.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:14 am

How do you know these items are 100% sterling silver and not plated silver?
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals