Reminder of caution on wear of 40%

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Reminder of caution on wear of 40%

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 04, 2013 11:26 am

Cross reference to general material on 40% coins: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26248

{edited for corrections, so early readers should re-read - hard to compose and do the math correctly at the same time ;)]
[further edited to make a bit more readable.]

For those that might be buying 40% (versus those that have been successful and roll-searching wild ones, with no cash exchange), keep in mind the wear.

First recall wear on 90% silver.

The "normal" tolerable wear on 90% by accepted standard is 1.1% (715/723). Based on a standard 90% half which left the mint at nominal weight, this amount of wear would result in a coin that has worn during circulation to 12.36 grams. A .14 gram loss of 90% silver, or a .126 gram net weight loss of silver. Not really a lot of wear, but it usually results in a noticable change in appearance without being "slick". Coins that weigh less than this are considered below weight for trade. Unless you are focusing on AU/BU coin, it's always best to trade circulated coin based on weight because of wear, even with 90%.

Now, 40%.

I just pulled out a worn 40% cull, which didn't satisfy my eye enough to stack in a roll, and weighed it - 11.29 grams. 40% halves are nominal at 11.5, so this one is 0.21 grams below nominal weight. It's hard to tell how much of it resulted from wear versus an underweight planchet at the start, because (as weighing experiments show) there was a lot of weight variatino in the planchets. The ultimate determination of minor wear - on an individual coin - is visual appearance rather than weight. The weight difference from nominal on this one coin is definitely below the 90% wear threshold, but if this was wear alone the net affect, percentagewise, is far worse for 40% because of how these coins were constructed. Recall that while they are 40% overall, they are a clad laminated coin consisting of two thin layers of 80/20 silver-dominated Ag/Cu alloy surrounding a thick layer (two-thirds of the total mass) of copper-dominated 20.9/79.1 Ag/Cu alloy (which is often represented as a 20/80 alloy). While the total silver content is 4.6 grams, almost all of the silver loss is located in the high-silver layers, so the effect is multiplied.

Using my 11.29 gram coin as an example, the 0.21 grams of weight loss contained 0.168 grams of silver, which proportional to the 4.6 gram nominal silver content is 3.65% silver loss.

Comparing the 90% criterion to 40%, to have the same proportional level of assurance of silver content, the equivalent weight loss limit for 40% would have to be 11.436 g per coin or on a roll basis 228.73 grams for 20 coins versus a 230 gram nominal roll. Anything below that would (on average) have more wear than the "standard" amount.

I just weighed a random stack of low-wear 40% coins and they weighed 229.88. This weight confirms they are low wear coins, even though the individual coins in this roll have variation in them that are both below and above nominal.

So a 90% roll can tolerate a 2.76 gram loss and remain at the limit of tolerable wear while a 40% roll - if your desire is to maintain the same percentage of silver content retention - can only tolerate a 1.27 gram loss.

40 percent silver loss.jpg
40 percent silver loss.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Edit 9/27/2013 and with more emphasis on 12/15/2013: To emphasize, the above is based on nominal weight planchets. However the US mint didn't control the blanks of common circulating coin for the purpose of weight to the same standards that are more common today for bullion silver. Based on measurements of actual low wear coin of various types, face values, years, there was obviously a tolerance allowed on an individual blank as long as a sufficiently sized population of them averaged to some total value. It is therefore common for nominal roll weights of coin to be very close to the value that would result if the roll weight was calculated from a nominal coin weight, but any individual coin can see a substantial variation from nominal. I had previously evaluated this informally for 90% 64 JFKs and saw a surprising level of variation in that coin. Having just looked at a semi-random population of 65-69 (but most from 66-68) halves that same variation exists but at an even higher level. Even though the random draw rolls are near nominal in weight, I found that individual "underweight" coin (11.42 g or less) is on the order of 30% of the total population, even though most of this coin is of low wear based both on visual evidence and random roll weights. Unfortunately it is not possible to determine from these basic measurements whether or not the planchet variation is in the high silver layers or the high copper core layer (or both). Out of this population of >120 coins most were in the 11.40-11.59 range, but there were substantial high (11.60+) and low (11.3x for the most part, but some in the 11.2x range) outliers. The two high outliers weighed at 11.76 and (incredibly) 11.95 - both from 1967. The three low outliers were 11.18 (a 1968), and two at 11.20 (both 1966). Because of the above variation - apparently present in the raw blank and not due purely to wear - I would be cautious about presuming that a low weight coin is always a high wear coin. The best approach to evaluate wear for 40% coin appears to be based on visual evidence rather than weight. However, obviously weights below 11.20 would be very suspect.

9/28/2013 edit

I just weighed nearly 800 coins in the 65-69 years, sorting into high and low weight piles by year, using 11.43 grams (used because it would be the discrimating value for wear based on the nominal weight) as the fulcrum.

Code: Select all
Year  Light   Heavier   Percentage Light
1965  10      51        16.4   
1966  34      57        37.4   
1967  1       202       28.6   
1968  79      146       35.1   
1969  40      79        33.6   
                        31.3    Overall

My overall "feel" from yesterday was correct; right about 30% coins are below the 11.43 gram mark and 70% are above. Taken as a population these are collectively very near the nominal weight, on average, but there is a fairly broad spread of planchet weight. The low of the population was a 1965 with an amazingly low weight of 10.81 grams (0.69 grams light), and the high was the heavy 1967 (noted above) at 11.95 grams (0.45 grams heavy).
Last edited by 68Camaro on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 am, edited 13 times in total.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Reminder of caution on wear of 40%

Postby Rob72830 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Sounds like a good argument for sending culls to the smelter and make brand new bars or rounds that would have the correct amount of silver. I collect numismatic coins and short of a cull having that numismatic value I would have no problem melting those culled underweight coins. Thanks for sharing I did not really realize silver coins could lose that much metal. I guess for me I will stick with uncirculated coins and rounds.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby madman326 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:23 pm

hey camaro,
think your decimal might be off a place. if 40% halves start at 11.5 gms, one that now weighs 11.29gms has not lost 2.01 gms. its lost 0.21gms.
not sure if this changes any of your other math.
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 04, 2013 1:37 pm

madman326 wrote:hey camaro,
think your decimal might be off a place. if 40% halves start at 11.5 gms, one that now weighs 11.29gms has not lost 2.01 gms. its lost 0.21gms.
not sure if this changes any of your other math.

Yep, you're right - that's what I meant... ;) I'll fix it (two places). Thanks for the sanity check.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Robarons » Sat May 04, 2013 1:48 pm

This problem is very prominent in 10% Mexico Centavos

All the silver is on outside and wears a lot more
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 pm

This is a very good reminder on full wgt coin could this be made a sticky to go along with checking counterfeits.

Mods Please think about this.

Peace
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sat May 04, 2013 2:50 pm

I saw a t-shirt about what to do with 40% Kennedys once.

Melt 'em all...let the smelter sort 'em out!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 04, 2013 3:07 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I saw a t-shirt about what to do with 40% Kennedys once.

Ha! :lol:

Well, after snubbing my nose at them for awhile I've taken a bit of a liking to them, at least in small doses. There's definitely a limit to their appeal just due to sheer weight, but they contain a lot of copper (not a bad thing) and have more silver than a dime or even a 1/10 frac, and at a lower price.
68Camaro

Postby adamsp27 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:20 pm

How much does it usually cost to melt them?

Thanks
adamsp27
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:28 pm

68Camaro wrote:

Ha! :lol:

Well, after snubbing my nose at them for awhile I've taken a bit of a liking to them, at least in small doses. There's definitely a limit to their appeal just due to sheer weight, but they contain a lot of copper (not a bad thing) and have more silver than a dime or even a 1/10 frac, and at a lower price.

i'm gonna take credit for that change of heart regarding 40's, if you dont mind.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Sat May 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the education. I never really thought about how all the wear on a 40% half was coming straight out of the silver content.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
i'm gonna take credit for that change of heart regarding 40's, if you dont mind.

Certainly no one had a greater influence on that than you!
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sat May 04, 2013 7:17 pm

adamsp27 wrote:

How much does it usually cost to melt them?

Thanks

Look up scrapman1077, a member here. He will send you some nice .999 rounds for your junky stuff and 40% Kennedys.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Great thread! Thanks for the info.

With this educational info~~~ I am now looking at 40% in a different light. :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals